It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2005, 08:38 AM   #1

Heidi_B HB User
Zocor and Tinnitus

Hi all!

Just wondering if you have ever heard of Zocor (20 mg) causing tinnitus? And if so, what might remedy these symptoms (in addition to stopping Zocor, I suppose)...

Thanks much, Heidi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2005, 08:48 AM   #2
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Re: Zocor and Tinnitus

Hi Heidi,

Most of the cholesterol meds are an anti-inflammatory from what I am told. This is a portion of what I read about Tinnuitus:

Tinnitus may also be caused by allergy, high or low blood pressure (blood circulation problems), a tumor, diabetes, thyroid problems, injury to the head or neck, and a variety of other causes including medications such as anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, sedatives, antidepressants, and aspirin. If you take aspirin and your ears ring, talk to your doctor about dosage in relation to your size.

As for the "remedy" you will need to research the internet as there are many causes of Tinnitus and all may need to be "remedied" in different manner

Good luck, Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2005, 09:05 AM   #3

Heidi_B HB User

Thanks, Lisa!

I know that Lipitor may cause tinnitus, but since Zocor has a different active ingredient (simvastatin), I am not sure if this is the case for Zocor. However, my mother, who has been on Zocor for 3 months, has suddenly developed a very annoying case of tinnitus, which has now been ongoing for - 3 months. Coincidence...?

Old 09-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi_B
I know that Lipitor may cause tinnitus, but since Zocor has a different active ingredient (simvastatin), I am not sure if this is the case for Zocor. However, my mother, who has been on Zocor for 3 months, has suddenly developed a very annoying case of tinnitus........
Hi Heidi,

Although tinnitus is not a life threatening condition, your mother does need to tell her doctor of this recent development. Tinnitus can cause trouble sleeping and concentration, which might be very stressful for your mom. Tinnitus could also indicate that something else is going on.

Make a list of all your mother's medications and OTC's. My M-I-L had drug induced lupus from mixing OTC's with her prescription drugs. I researched all her OTC's. One, a fiber supplement, had over 30 different ingredients, 3 of which are known to cause trouble with prescription drugs.

Re: Zocor vs Lipitor - both are statin drugs. All the statin drugs share the same side effects.

Frankie

Closed Thread