It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 11:22 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User
Re: Leg aches and muscle aches from lipitor?

People over 70 should not be on statin medications. In fact there are very few people that "might " should be. The Statin Study has reviewed all of the cholesterol lowering tests and found that lowereing cholesterol in women will not reduce overall mortality. In fact in people over 70 increased cholesterol is associated with a longer lifespan. My Mother was on Zocor and then Lipitor. It is too late for her. She is now in a wheelchair, and will be for the rest of her life because of cholesterol lowering. It is now thought at the Statin Study that the side effects are not drug related, but related to the actual lowering of cholesterol. In my mother's case, it was the Zetia and Welchol, that finally put her in a wheelchair. For some of you that do not have permanent damage...it might take 6 months to a year to improve from the damage; however, others of you might be permanently disabled.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:08 PM   #17
(female)

tennis837 HB User

finrus, I see you have done your research also. I wish more would do this. What continue to amaze me is that people still do not read the small print that runs across the tv screen and on the inserts that plainly state, "Statins have not been proven to prevent heart attacks" and yet these doctors have folks running scared that they will die from a heart attack if they dont take it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2005, 07:41 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis837
"Statins have not been proven to prevent heart attacks" and yet these doctors have folks running scared that they will die from a heart attack if they dont take it.
Yeah, that's certainly true. Propaganda is the pharmaceutical industry's specialty! In that respect, they have to equal. The drug companies are very adept at what they do, and they're quite powerful and highly influential in both the media and the medical profession. To try to fight them would be a losing cause. People need to do their own research, and decide what's best for themselves. Look, statins have been around for nearly twenty years, but where has it gotten us? Practically nowhere! Heart disease is still a major killer, even though millions of people are now taking them. The media continues to run headlines reporting the benefits of these drugs. But, except for a small article that I spotted, no major newspaper reported the exceptional benefits that fish oil alone had over statins in preventing heart disease! And to this very day, no major study has ever been carried out to investigate the Pauling Therapy, and what effect that may have! It's a circus, it really is, and I'm getting pretty sick and tired of it. Now, I'm sure that many doctors believe in their hearts that they are treating their patients the best they can. And so many of them prescribe statins. But where are these doctors getting their information from? From the drug companies, that's where. As I said, it's a real circus, and a rather ridiculous one at that. And in the meantime, heart disease continues to take it's toll! So I ask you, where is all this propaganda getting us? Nowhere! It's just lining the pockets of the big drug companies.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:28 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
Yeah, that's certainly true. Propaganda is the pharmaceutical industry's specialty! In that respect, they have to equal. The drug companies are very adept at what they do, and they're quite powerful and highly influential in both the media and the medical profession. To try to fight them would be a losing cause. People need to do their own research, and decide what's best for themselves. Look, statins have been around for nearly twenty years, but where has it gotten us? Practically nowhere! Heart disease is still a major killer, even though millions of people are now taking them. The media continues to run headlines reporting the benefits of these drugs. But, except for a small article that I spotted, no major newspaper reported the exceptional benefits that fish oil alone had over statins in preventing heart disease! And to this very day, no major study has ever been carried out to investigate the Pauling Therapy, and what effect that may have! It's a circus, it really is, and I'm getting pretty sick and tired of it. Now, I'm sure that many doctors believe in their hearts that they are treating their patients the best they can. And so many of them prescribe statins. But where are these doctors getting their information from? From the drug companies, that's where. As I said, it's a real circus, and a rather ridiculous one at that. And in the meantime, heart disease continues to take it's toll! So I ask you, where is all this propaganda getting us? Nowhere! It's just lining the pockets of the big drug companies.
U know I am on the same page about statins as U are. My biggest gripe is when U tell a dr. that U had bad experiences with them, they still try to find a new med. out U haven't tried, and try to convince U to try it. I have been thru 3 drs. over the fact I won't take a statin again, as they get really upset with you and then start treating U like your a nuisance to them. Like I have told you, this new dr. is starting to get on my case, even though I have gotten my numbers down. Next visit we are defintiely going to have a good long talk, because I am not going to go thru this hassle again.

My daughter was just told her cholesterol is a bit high, as is her BP and blood sugar, but at least her dr. told her she thinks if she loses weight and gets some exercise, she can bring everything down to a normal level. It is so far and few between that U find a dr. like that, and like I told my daughter, be very grateful U have a dr. like her, as most would want to shove U on meds immediately. Only thing she put her on was a mild diuretic, and said she would monitor her every month for the BP and every 3 months for the other stuff, and that to me is common sense. I think alot of people are afraid to upset their drs and take these drugs just to keep the peace. JMHO

Old 10-06-2005, 09:01 PM   #20
(female)

tennis837 HB User

Hey JMHO not me, my doctor practically walked out the door when I said that I would never put another one in my mouth but just so happen I had printed some really good articles for her. As she left the door, I put them on the desk and as the nurse came in she started to hand them to me and I said to her, "Oh No, they are Dr. G". Well let me tell you, every since that she has been really nice.

But a month or so ago, she came in and asked me if I would humor her and let her run a stress test because she is worried about me. I said, "SURE". She came back on my next visit and told me she could stop worrying now as it was very clear & rarely do they see such clarity on a 64 yr. old. I said, "It must be the CoQ10 I take daily." She did not comment. My numbers have been over 300 since Me****r came out in the 80's and I couldn't take it either. Just got latest numbers back a few days ago and it was 310.

My neighbor across the street has always had numbers under 200 so never worried about it but upon taking a stress test, he ended up in the hospital and had a 5 bypass surgery. Soooooo, now he is on Lipitor. I told him to watch for unexplained pain and just remember what I said.

As I tell everyone, it is all about big Pharma and money. My pharmacist even says they get paid for each prescription they write, thereby explaining how they know only a third of the patients who are written a statin prescription fill them. Also explaining why they insist on writing the latest & most expensive.

Dr. Golomb at the University of California/San Diego has been doing statin studies. Smart Money magazine had a fantastic article back sometime ago about her and interviews with some of the people that she has been working with and are really handicapped now.

So I say to everyone, please, please do your research and talk to people. I really feel sorry for the older people because many don't have computers and are also from the old school that think their doctor would not give them anything to hurt them. I was told so many times that it couldn't be the statin and if it was, after being off of it that long the pain would have gone away.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:30 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis837
Hey JMHO not me, my doctor practically walked out the door when I said that I would never put another one in my mouth but just so happen I had printed some really good articles for her. As she left the door, I put them on the desk and as the nurse came in she started to hand them to me and I said to her, "Oh No, they are Dr. G". Well let me tell you, every since that she has been really nice.

But a month or so ago, she came in and asked me if I would humor her and let her run a stress test because she is worried about me. I said, "SURE". She came back on my next visit and told me she could stop worrying now as it was very clear & rarely do they see such clarity on a 64 yr. old. I said, "It must be the CoQ10 I take daily." She did not comment. My numbers have been over 300 since Me****r came out in the 80's and I couldn't take it either. Just got latest numbers back a few days ago and it was 310.

My neighbor across the street has always had numbers under 200 so never worried about it but upon taking a stress test, he ended up in the hospital and had a 5 bypass surgery. Soooooo, now he is on Lipitor. I told him to watch for unexplained pain and just remember what I said.

As I tell everyone, it is all about big Pharma and money. My pharmacist even says they get paid for each prescription they write, thereby explaining how they know only a third of the patients who are written a statin prescription fill them. Also explaining why they insist on writing the latest & most expensive.

Dr. Golomb at the University of California/San Diego has been doing statin studies. Smart Money magazine had a fantastic article back sometime ago about her and interviews with some of the people that she has been working with and are really handicapped now.

So I say to everyone, please, please do your research and talk to people. I really feel sorry for the older people because many don't have computers and are also from the old school that think their doctor would not give them anything to hurt them. I was told so many times that it couldn't be the statin and if it was, after being off of it that long the pain would have gone away.
My dr. told me not to believe everything I read on the web, so I guess she isn't impressed with the articles I recieve from friends or look up on my own. Hubby had the same problem with his dr. till he finally had a darn good talk with both her and his cardio man. His cardio man is very open to learning and hearing about some of the stuff he brings in, as like he said, he just hasn't the time to web surf. I hope after a good talk with my new dr. she will get off my case, and I had an Echo done last year that was fine. HUbby always had nice low numbers, yet in 94 they found he had a 90-95% blockage on his left side, so within 2 weeks he was in for a "Roto-Rooter" job. Luckily all went fine, but as we have discussed on here before, many folks have had problems and yet they have nice numbers, so I don't think these drs. should be going just by what your numbers are.

We didn't have a computer before 1999, and I always say, if we had one and I knew then what I know now, as soon as hubby and I started having problems, I would have been aware it might be the statins. He took them for 7 years, now has PN and a host of other problems. I took Lipitor for almost 4 months, and it took a GI guy almost 6 months to straighten me out. As soon as I was ok, they shoved me on Baycol, oh yeah, they sure did a number on me, and that is when I tossed all statins in the pail, as did hubby. Now we seem to be finding more and more folks telling us they have all sorts of problems from taking statins and are dumping them. Yes, there definitely are some folks who can take them with no problems, so if they can, fine, but if they are messing up the quality of your life, they aren't worth it. Like hubby's cardio man said, if any drug messes up your quality of life, it should not be used, and if an alternative can't be found, you will just have deal with high numbers and your dr. should just monitor U a lil closer. The dr. started taking Lipitor and told us he is having some neck problems, and he feels it may be due to the Lipitor, so is going to try going off to see what happens. WE have to see him in Jan., so it will be interesting to find out what happened.

Have a good one.....

Old 10-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
My dr. told me not to believe everything I read on the web, so I guess she isn't impressed with the articles I recieve from friends or look up on my own. Hubby had the same problem with his dr. till he finally had a darn good talk with both her and his cardio man. His cardio man is very open to learning and hearing about some of the stuff he brings in, as like he said, he just hasn't the time to web surf. I hope after a good talk with my new dr. she will get off my case, and I had an Echo done last year that was fine.
Isn't it funny how doctors are so quick to point out that we should not believe everything we read on the web, yet THEY are the ones who are guilty of believing virtually every claim that the drug companies make about their blockbuster drugs? It doesn't seem to matter that many of their claims are lies and distortions. Doctors still swallow it, hook, line, and sinker.

Old 10-07-2005, 05:24 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Isn't it funny how doctors are so quick to point out that we should not believe everything we read on the web, yet THEY are the ones who are guilty of believing virtually every claim that the drug companies make about their blockbuster drugs? It doesn't seem to matter that many of their claims are lies and distortions. Doctors still swallow it, hook, line, and sinker.
Yup, and that is why I believe so many folks agree to take the stuff even if they don't want to, as the drs. can really make U feel like crap, one was even nasty to me. Needless to say, I walked out, asked for my bill, wrote a check and came home! I know 2 people that keep getting their statins filled, but never take them, but rather then listen to their drs. harp, they pretend they take them. Now really, is that the biggest crock going or what? I can't imagine myself paying out money each month for something I don't even take just to keep a drs. mouth shut, NO WAY!!.........

Old 10-07-2005, 07:55 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(male)

JJ,

You're absolutely right. And I won't go to a doctor unless I'm really sick, and need medical attention. I'm not interested in lifelong drug therapy that cures nothing, but keeps the drug companies happy. I'm only interested in cures. Now, if the drug companies would only get up off their fat butts and start spending more money on research and development, and less on advertising, then maybe they would be able to come up with some cures for a change. But I don't believe they're really interested in that. It wouldn't be quite as profitable as a lifelong regimen of drug therapy, would it?

Old 10-07-2005, 08:43 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
JJ,

You're absolutely right. And I won't go to a doctor unless I'm really sick, and need medical attention. I'm not interested in lifelong drug therapy that cures nothing, but keeps the drug companies happy. I'm only interested in cures. Now, if the drug companies would only get up off their fat butts and start spending more money on research and development, and less on advertising, then maybe they would be able to come up with some cures for a change. But I don't believe they're really interested in that. It wouldn't be quite as profitable as a lifelong regimen of drug therapy, would it?
Well I have to go evey 3 months as I developed high BP, but if it wasn't for that, I also would go when absolutely necessary. My old dr. use to have to call me to tell me I was overdue for a physical, but he was not a pill pusher and always worked with us on everything.

My husband always says the same thing, why should they cure anything, they wouldn't make any money. He is totally convinced they have cures for many of the illnesses out there, and I'm beginning to believe it myself.

Oh well, for now I will just do my thing, tell this dr. either get off my case or let me sign a statement saying she advised me to take a statin, or off I go to find another dr. I don't care if I have to go to every dr. in CT. till I find one that is not hung up on numbers. At 64, I am not about to argue with someone half my age because they feel guidelines are sooooo important. If I am wrong, so be it, but that is my feeling on the entire thing, so either take it, or leave it. Geez, nasty old lady, ain't I.......

Hubby just got back from Hershey, said it was nice, but way too much to see in a short 3 days. Oh well, he sure will sleep well tonight, he is mighty tired and even has a sunburn. Raining like crazy here, guess that cool front is moving on in.

Have a good one and TTYL....

Old 10-08-2005, 05:22 AM   #26
(female)

hankypank HB User

Hi folks: been reading all your articles on the statins, Have had the exact same sxperience . I have gone from one md to another, even tried niaspam and flaxseed oil. Well niaspam gave me severe flushes and flaxseed oil gave me cramps and diarrhea. Now the pmd has me trying lescol20 mg every other day. I added coq10 75mg 1x day dont know if it is the correct dose because my pmd doesnt believe in it. any suggestions? I spoke to one cardiologist and he suggested tonic water to help with the leg cramps. bought it and ugh it tasted bad. Haven't used it since Hope someone can help>

Old 10-09-2005, 12:51 AM   #27
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

You might be low on magnesium causing the leg cramps. Your doctor might do a serum blood test for this. I would expect that from him seeing where he doesn't believe in Coq10. Anyway, you can't test your magnesium by a serum test...it must be an intercellular test. Your blood will try to maintain itself at any cost even robbing your cells of magnesium. Also you might tell your uninformed doctor that in Health Canada, (the equivalent to our FDA) has issued a warning that statins will indeed deplete Coq10. It it should be taken with statins. My mother was diagnosed with ataxia. A prominent doctor at cornell, said that Coq10 deficiency was most likely the cause of brain damage in the specific area of the brain, the cerebellum. This was the result of stain drugs. Ask your docotr if he would like to push you around in your wheel chair, like we do my mother.

Old 10-09-2005, 07:56 AM   #28
(female)

hankypank HB User

Love your answer. Well I am still taking the lescol every other day and will start on it daily next week. I continue to take the coq10 75 mg daily. so far no leg cramps and no other pain thats new. Too soon to tell. thanks for the help finres. I.m going off to swim now. Gotta get my exercise in. again thanks and keep in touch.

Old 10-09-2005, 11:22 AM   #29
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

You really should have at least 300 mg of Coq10 PER DAY.

Old 10-09-2005, 04:04 PM   #30
(female)

hankypank HB User

Saw your recommation of coq10 300 mg daily. does it go by the persons weight or the amount of the statin I'm taking? I think I have to work up to it slowly. I dont seem to tolerate medication very well. Next week when I start taking the lescol daily I'll increase the coq10 to 150 mg. Is that ok?

Closed Thread