It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2005, 10:12 AM   #1
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
My Cholesterol Results

Ok I'm done I give up. I just got my results back and the doctor told me that my cholesterol was 245..HDL 61, LDL 166 and Trig 89. I give up I did everything I thought would help and nothing. It is only down 5 points from my last test. I lost 10 lbs cut out all red meat and dairy and eat a ton of veggies, fruits and no processed foods or bad fats. Flaxseed and wheat germ and cinnamon every day . I am ready to cry right now. She is putting me on zetia but she said that does nothing for my CRP only statins get that down. I cannot take them they really effect my muscles Zetia is the only thing that has not bothered me..I have a bottle of welchol should I take that instead? Help, Lisa

Old 11-22-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: My Cholesterol Results

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Your trigs show that you were trying. What a let down! No, advice to offer but just wanted you to know that I understand your frustration.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Your trigs show that you were trying. What a let down! No, advice to offer but just wanted you to know that I understand your frustration.
My trigs are always that good never had a problem with them..Thanks for understanding..Her words were it's a genetic trait..Lisa

Old 11-22-2005, 12:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie75
Ok I'm done I give up. I just got my results back and the doctor told me that my cholesterol was 245..HDL 61, LDL 166 and Trig 89. I give up I did everything I thought would help and nothing. It is only down 5 points from my last test. I lost 10 lbs cut out all red meat and dairy and eat a ton of veggies, fruits and no processed foods or bad fats. Flaxseed and wheat germ and cinnamon every day . I am ready to cry right now. She is putting me on zetia but she said that does nothing for my CRP only statins get that down. I cannot take them they really effect my muscles Zetia is the only thing that has not bothered me..I have a bottle of welchol should I take that instead? Help, Lisa
What a bummer, but I know how ya feel. Except for the last time, no matter what I did I barely got my numbers down, so can't offer any advice either. As far as the Zetia, it is I believe like the Welchol, both are none statins. I tried the Welchol and it made me feel like a bloated constipated whale, that is when I gave up on everything.

Hope ya find a solution, guess we all seem to get nowhere at times. Hang in there, try not to be too upset, it won't help, trust me, I know...

Old 11-23-2005, 05:29 AM   #5
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
What a bummer, but I know how ya feel. Except for the last time, no matter what I did I barely got my numbers down, so can't offer any advice either. As far as the Zetia, it is I believe like the Welchol, both are none statins. I tried the Welchol and it made me feel like a bloated constipated whale, that is when I gave up on everything.

Hope ya find a solution, guess we all seem to get nowhere at times. Hang in there, try not to be too upset, it won't help, trust me, I know...
thanks JJ I can tell you right now if they make me feel like a bloated constipated whale in the trash they go. I cannot take that. I have worked my *** off with cardio and weights for too many years to have that go the opposite way due to a drug..Thanks, Lisa

Old 11-23-2005, 06:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:

Lisa,

Sounds like you've done everything right and nothing has helped - I understand how frustrating that must be.

Your doctor is probably right about one thing though - for some, high cholesterol is due to their genetic makeup, and lifestyle changes don't make a big difference for them...

I don't know what your age is, but something to consider is that after women go thru menopause, their cholesterol profiles tend to rise and they start to catch up with men's profiles. I read recently that women are on average about 14 years behind men as far as CHD progression goes - due largely to the protective properties of estrogen.

I also had very serious muscle problems with statins, and am afraid to go on them again... But if your CRP is dangerously high, you could consider taking CoQ10 (100mg/day or so) with a low-dose statin to reduce the chances of muscle problems...

Have you tried vitamin-E (alpha-tocopherol), vitamin-C and vitamin B6 to help reduce CRP levels?

I hope some of this helps... Don't give up!!!

HubbleRules

Old 11-23-2005, 06:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Sorry the natural methods weren't good enough...that's the case for MANY people.

The Welchol is the most innocuous drug in the arsenal that never leaves the intestinal tract. It just sucks up bile and holds it til you &*^%. Unfortunately it can cause intestinal "distress" in a lot of people. Sure take it, even while taking the zetia if you choose.

Both work in the intestine, the ezetimibe by blocking the small intesines ability to absorb dietary OR biliary fats and cholesterol. I would think the ezetimibe works better in fat eaters than in a person who shuns fats.

Since you HAVE the Welchol, why not try it for a month and get retested. If you take both at once you won't be able to isolate what is helping most or what is causing untoward effects.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:30 AM   #8
(male)

Sideem HB User

Wow...sorry to hear about the results. Don't give up!

Old 11-23-2005, 06:35 AM   #9
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules
Lisa,

Sounds like you've done everything right and nothing has helped - I understand how frustrating that must be.

Your doctor is probably right about one thing though - for some, high cholesterol is due to their genetic makeup, and lifestyle changes don't make a big difference for them...

I don't know what your age is, but something to consider is that after women go thru menopause, their cholesterol profiles tend to rise and they start to catch up with men's profiles. I read recently that women are on average about 14 years behind men as far as CHD progression goes - due largely to the protective properties of estrogen.

I also had very serious muscle problems with statins, and am afraid to go on them again... But if your CRP is dangerously high, you could consider taking CoQ10 (100mg/day or so) with a low-dose statin to reduce the chances of muscle problems...

Have you tried vitamin-E (alpha-tocopherol), vitamin-C and vitamin B6 to help reduce CRP levels?

I hope some of this helps... Don't give up!!!

HubbleRules
Hi Hubble,

I am 47 and I am not going through any signs of the change that I am noticing. I have had muscle problems with all statins they have tried me on and took myself right off of them. I take CoQ10 and E, C and all Bs every day so they did nothing for me also...thanks, Lisa

Sorry the natural methods weren't good enough...that's the case for MANY people.

The Welchol is the most innocuous drug in the arsenal that never leaves the intestinal tract. It just sucks up bile and holds it til you &*^%. Unfortunately it can cause intestinal "distress" in a lot of people. Sure take it, even while taking the zetia if you choose.

Both work in the intestine, the ezetimibe by blocking the small intesines ability to absorb dietary OR biliary fats and cholesterol. I would think the ezetimibe works better in fat eaters than in a person who shuns fats.

Since you HAVE the Welchol, why not try it for a month and get retested. If you take both at once you won't be able to isolate what is helping most or what is causing untoward effects.

Lenin,

After what you wrote I don't want to take either..What are your suggestions?

Thanks, Lisa

Old 11-23-2005, 07:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
thanks JJ I can tell you right now if they make me feel like a bloated constipated whale in the trash they go. I cannot take that. I have worked my *** off with cardio and weights for too many years to have that go the opposite way due to a drug..Thanks, Lisa
Moxie, I'm in the same boat as you, most of my problem is genetic, so I have to work my buns off to try and keep lower numbers also. Like I said, the statins didn't agree with me, nor did the Welchol, so I got sooooo ticked I just tossed em. I've never tried the Zetia, so have no comment on that. Only thing U can do is give either one a try and see how it goes. I wouldn't do both, then U won't know which is working, or if U get a reaction U also won't know which is affecting you. At least with either the Welchol or Zetia, they just absorb what is in your tummy, so U shouldn't have any nasty affects like the statins, and as soon as I stopped the Welchol, I was fine within 2 days.

Cheer up kiddo, alot of us are in your boat, so hang in there......

Old 11-23-2005, 07:49 AM   #11
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Moxie, I'm in the same boat as you, most of my problem is genetic, so I have to work my buns off to try and keep lower numbers also. Like I said, the statins didn't agree with me, nor did the Welchol, so I got sooooo ticked I just tossed em. I've never tried the Zetia, so have no comment on that. Only thing U can do is give either one a try and see how it goes. I wouldn't do both, then U won't know which is working, or if U get a reaction U also won't know which is affecting you. At least with either the Welchol or Zetia, they just absorb what is in your tummy, so U shouldn't have any nasty affects like the statins, and as soon as I stopped the Welchol, I was fine within 2 days.

Cheer up kiddo, alot of us are in your boat, so hang in there......
JJ,

Thanks a bunch I needed to hear that.. Lisa

Old 11-23-2005, 09:27 AM   #12
(male)

liverock HB User

Lisa

As you seem to be running out of options for lowering CRP perhaps you might check for helicobactor pylori, a stomach bug which is reported to increase CRP(which can be cured by antibiotics) as well as peridonitis, another risk factor.

The Journal of American Medicine reported on a double blind,randomized, placebo controlled study on an Indian herb called Gugulipid a couple of years ago.
JAMA:2003;290;765-772

The herb didnt lower LDL or TC but it did lower CRP by 30% at a dosage of 6,000mg/day. Might be worth a shot. Check with your doctor first if you have liver problems.

Be Well

Last edited by liverock; 11-23-2005 at 09:36 AM.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:05 AM   #13
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock
Lisa

As you seem to be running out of options for lowering CRP perhaps you might check for helicobactor pylori, a stomach bug which is reported to increase CRP(which can be cured by antibiotics) as well as peridonitis, another risk factor.

The Journal of American Medicine reported on a double blind,randomized, placebo controlled study on an Indian herb called Gugulipid a couple of years ago.
JAMA:2003;290;765-772

The herb didnt lower LDL or TC but it did lower CRP by 30% at a dosage of 6,000mg/day. Might be worth a shot. Check with your doctor first if you have liver problems.

Be Well
I do have a fatty liver but that never stopped them from perscribing statins for me. Maybe I should look into this..thanks, Lisa

Old 11-23-2005, 11:44 PM   #14
(female)

Brenlee HB User

Just wanted to say Lisa, I can imagine how disheartening this is after you've worked so hard to bring your numbers down by doing everything you can. Hang in and know that from what I've read, cholesterol issues aren't the end all. I don't know your circumstances, but many ppl w/high #'s are quite healthy and as low risk as those with lower readings.

Wishing you the best. Brenlee

Old 11-24-2005, 04:15 AM   #15
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenlee
Just wanted to say Lisa, I can imagine how disheartening this is after you've worked so hard to bring your numbers down by doing everything you can. Hang in and know that from what I've read, cholesterol issues aren't the end all. I don't know your circumstances, but many ppl w/high #'s are quite healthy and as low risk as those with lower readings.

Wishing you the best. Brenlee
Awe thanks Bren, I cannot tell you what it has meant to me to have the support of all of you. It brought tears to my eyes. I will be giving thanks today for all of you as well as many others and things in my life that I have to be greatful for. Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving to all of you that celebrate and to those of you that do not, Have a Great day also, Lisa

Closed Thread