It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2005, 10:13 AM   #1
(male)

ashleymc HB User
Cool Antara (tri-cor) fibrates- opinions please?

Im a 49 male -active, non drinker-smoker, 220 cholesteral count,slight tri's elevated slight low HDL level..The doc pushed me into antara 130 mg (similiar to tri-cor) last month and now 40 days of treatment later im fatigued -ackey muscles and gained 10 lbs. My appetite was increased and my activity level decreased..Im throwing out the pills and trying to resume my regular routine..I firmly believe that the dastardly drug companies will not relent untill EVERYONE is on something!! Any comments?

Old 12-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #2
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Re: Antara (tri-cor) fibrates- opinions please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleymc
Im a 49 male -active, non drinker-smoker, 220 cholesteral count,slight tri's elevated slight low HDL level..The doc pushed me into antara 130 mg (similiar to tri-cor) last month and now 40 days of treatment later im fatigued -ackey muscles and gained 10 lbs. My appetite was increased and my activity level decreased..Im throwing out the pills and trying to resume my regular routine..I firmly believe that the dastardly drug companies will not relent untill EVERYONE is on something!! Any comments?
I don't know if I could say it any better than you did. I would throw the pills out and try exercise and diet first. Alot of veggies, whole foods, lean meats, grains, fruits and flaxseed, wheat germ, CoQ10 and garlic extract before I would go on any meds. If it ends up you need to be on meds due to genetics then try everything before giving in to the first pill. I have been put on 6 different and now zetia does not cause side effects I still don't know if it is helping my cholesterol until i have blood work again in feb 2006..Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2005, 11:19 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

mg_health HB User

Quote:

I agree that you should try diet and exercise first (if you haven't already). If that doesn't work for you, continue to try different drug therapies that do and that don't produce the types of side effects you're currently experiencing.

On another note, while drug companies are in the market to make money, it's up to you (with the aid of your doctor) to control your own health. Drug companies have no control over what you end up choosing as your lipid-control therapy (unless your health insurance provider limits your choices). You may get a doctor that's more apt to prescribing medication instead of choosing a more natural approach first. If that's the case, I would suggest finding another doctor (as I did). Ultimately, it's up to you (not the drug companies or the doctors).

Old 12-01-2005, 12:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
U just may be like myself and many other folks who just can't take these meds. Many take them and do well, many find themselves with more problems.

As stated by others, try a good diet and toss in some exercise and see how it goes. Alot of it is some of these drs., I had one that was so sarcastic to me about not taking meds. it was pathedic. Needless to say I mouthed right back at him and asked him.."If a med. made U feel like U were so weak, tired, and also experienced severe stomach problems, would U take it"? Of course his answer was, it wasn't the meds., YEAH RIGHT!! After that visit I paid my bill and never returned, as I am not paying someone to talk to me like I was some fool, or try to convince me all my problems were in my head. I went thru too many drugs and had nasty side effects, and I am not about to go thru it again.

Hopefully your dr. will work with you for a more natural solution, and if it does come down to haveing to take meds., always go with the lowest dose possible.

Best of luck........

Old 12-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

mg_health HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Alot of it is some of these drs., I had one that was so sarcastic to me about not taking meds. it was pathedic.
This is SO true! I had a doctor who, after two visits to his office, wanted to prescribe me hypertension medicine. I have what's called white coat hypertension: my blood pressure is high in the doctor's office but no where else. So, each time I'd visit him he'd receive a high reading (between 140 & 150 over 85 & 95). On my second visit, he starting telling me that I have essential hypertension. At the same time he was telling me this he was writing me out a prescription for anti-hypertensive medication. I told him I would not take the medication because I didn't have high BP anywhere else. He had me sign a waiver that I had refused to take the medication prescribed. After that, I found another doctor who understood my issue and recognized it to be a common condition. My wife monitors my BP at home and it's consistently in the optimal range (<120/<80). So, that's a good example of how doctors can be incredibly wrong. But, in the end, it was up to me to take my health into my own hands and do the right (hopefully) thing!

Old 12-05-2005, 08:51 AM   #6
(male)

ashleymc HB User

Well its like this I tell the doc.."I see your lips moving but I wonder whos doing the talking...your lawyer or your drug rep"

Old 12-05-2005, 01:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg_health
This is SO true! I had a doctor who, after two visits to his office, wanted to prescribe me hypertension medicine. I have what's called white coat hypertension: my blood pressure is high in the doctor's office but no where else. So, each time I'd visit him he'd receive a high reading (between 140 & 150 over 85 & 95). On my second visit, he starting telling me that I have essential hypertension. At the same time he was telling me this he was writing me out a prescription for anti-hypertensive medication. I told him I would not take the medication because I didn't have high BP anywhere else. He had me sign a waiver that I had refused to take the medication prescribed. After that, I found another doctor who understood my issue and recognized it to be a common condition. My wife monitors my BP at home and it's consistently in the optimal range (<120/<80). So, that's a good example of how doctors can be incredibly wrong. But, in the end, it was up to me to take my health into my own hands and do the right (hopefully) thing!
Oh some of them are unbelieveable. When I had so much trouble with the statins, my BP went way up, 150-155/90-95, so my dr. let it ride for 3 months, but then put me on a low dose of meds. Like he told me, until my GI problems got resolved and a I felt better, he didn't want to take any chances, that I could understand. Normally my BP was always 108-118/70-75, so it was a big increase. As time went on it has been doing pretty well, but like U, I go to the dr. and it goes up, except for my GYN guy who I have gone to for years, so I know, as does my dr. it is partially white coat. At least she sees the up and down sides and hopes in the near future to drop the doseage even further.

Like I said, the other guy, who I went to for about 2 months, was such a snot, I would actually get the shakes when I knew I had to go to him, now that is NOT a good sign. He tried to insist I go on Zetia, and I told him I was not ready to try anything else, enough with the problems, just wanted to get back to normal. He also told me I would never even have to pay for it, as he got a shipment every 2 weeks, so all I had to do was stop by and pick as much up as I needed. Hmmmmm, red flag went up on that remark!! Finally he got so aggravated with me, he told me I was going to wind up in a home with someone changing my diapers, and boy, did that set me off. I told him, and not very nicely..."Fine, I changed plenty of my kids over the years, so let someone change mine"!!! He stomped out of the room like a damn fool, and needless to say I paid my bill and switched drs.. Oh well, like they say, ya win some and ya lose some, glad he is out of my life!! Like U said, sometimes we have to make our own choices and hope we made the right ones, but I will NOT put up with any dr. treating me like I was beneath him/her. A dr. with a God complex I can do without.........

Closed Thread