It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2005, 07:23 AM   #1
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Need advice?

I'm not sure what I should do this Zetia sucks canal water. I feel stoned on this stuff. I am working on year end at work and an 11i implementaion of Oracle finance module (sorry if I make no sence). I really need to be at the top of my game. Anyway I cannot continue on like this. Should I stop taking this stuff and then what? I have tried so many different meds and I cannot do statins. I eat the right stuff and excercise like a work horse. Is my cholesterol that bad? 245 HDL 66 LDL 166 and Trigs 87. I do not take Omeag 3s maybe I need to start those up again? it's just I take so many supplements it's annoying. What are all of your thoughts on this? Is it the BP meds rasing my cholesterol because I never had a prob with cholesterol until these meds?

Thanks, Lisa

Old 12-05-2005, 07:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Need advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie75
I'm not sure what I should do this Zetia sucks canal water. I feel stoned on this stuff. I am working on year end at work and an 11i implementaion of Oracle finance module (sorry if I make no sence). I really need to be at the top of my game. Anyway I cannot continue on like this. Should I stop taking this stuff and then what? I have tried so many different meds and I cannot do statins. I eat the right stuff and excercise like a work horse. Is my cholesterol that bad? 245 HDL 66 LDL 166 and Trigs 87. I do not take Omeag 3s maybe I need to start those up again? it's just I take so many supplements it's annoying. What are all of your thoughts on this? Is it the BP meds rasing my cholesterol because I never had a prob with cholesterol until these meds?

Thanks, Lisa
If they are annoying U that bad, try stopping them for awhile and see how it goes. Your numbers, if that is them without meds, are similar to what mine were. Last time they were good, but normally they are about like yours, but your HDL is much better then mine, I'm only in the 40's.

Have U done the oatmeal, cinnamon and green tea bit? Don't know if it was a fluke with me or not, but it took my TC from 232 to 198 and my LDL from 161 to 126. We will see next blood test if it was a fluke or not.

Have no idea about the BP meds., look it up on the web and see if it says anything about whatever U are taking raising your cholesterol. Good luck kiddo, I know what your going thru.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2005, 08:27 AM   #3
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
If they are annoying U that bad, try stopping them for awhile and see how it goes. Your numbers, if that is them without meds, are similar to what mine were. Last time they were good, but normally they are about like yours, but your HDL is much better then mine, I'm only in the 40's.

Have U done the oatmeal, cinnamon and green tea bit? Don't know if it was a fluke with me or not, but it took my TC from 232 to 198 and my LDL from 161 to 126. We will see next blood test if it was a fluke or not.

Have no idea about the BP meds., look it up on the web and see if it says anything about whatever U are taking raising your cholesterol. Good luck kiddo, I know what your going thru.
Thanks but i eat oatmeal and cinnamon and i strated back on green tea. I do drink tea though but it called chai tea and yerba matte..Lisa

Old 12-05-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Thanks but i eat oatmeal and cinnamon and i strated back on green tea. I do drink tea though but it called chai tea and yerba matte..Lisa
Well it sounds like your trying, so I have no ideas. Were your numbers really bad off the meds.? Think U said U tried statins etc., so except for Zetia, I have no idea what is new out there. Just seems a shame U have to put up with those side effects.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
(female)

gardeninggal HB User

Quote:

Thanks, Lisa
Lisa, I hear ya, I know you feel you are at the end of the rope but hang on. I took statins also and had more problems with the medication then help so stopped. I knew I would have to be responsible for myself and so did a lot of research and my health plan changes as I get more info. You probably read the post about Vit. C reducing CRP by 24 %, thats where you start to think about the simple things that make big changes. You do a lot with your diet that is healthy, you ex cerise, you take vitamins, you sound like a gal that is really into healthy living. I see you take a lot of JJ's suggestions of cinnamon and green tea and they are very good. Early in some posts we talked about the Spice Turmeric and how it reduces inflammation in the body, so much so that it is considered the Vioxx of the natural foods only with no side effects. But it reduces inflammation and so does Fish oil. Well anyway here is what I think " I will do the simple things like take the turmeric caps and the cinnamon in my coffee and my one a day with policosinol and my 1000mgs of no flush niacin and my 3000mgs of fish oil and finally the 3 or 4000mgs of Vit C and call it a day" You did not say which BP medication you are taking. I had to be on one and it left me with side effects too so I asked to be put on Hydrochlorothiazide a water pill and it works and does not have so many side effects. I learned that from the book "Good pills, Bad Pills". Best of luck to you and your quest for good health.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ

JJ,

I would imagine it was the green-tea that lowered your numbers - how many cups a day do you drink? I've been reading a lot of good things about it...

Moxie,

Have you done a search on your brand of blood-pressure-med to see if it is related to higher cholesterol? PS: Implementing 11i while doing a year-end-close is too much stress...

HubbleRules

Old 12-05-2005, 05:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules
JJ,

I would imagine it was the green-tea that lowered your numbers - how many cups a day do you drink? I've been reading a lot of good things about it...

Moxie,

Have you done a search on your brand of blood-pressure-med to see if it is related to higher cholesterol? PS: Implementing 11i while doing a year-end-close is too much stress...

HubbleRules
Well if the numbers stay down, I will have to say it was the tea & cinnamon, as that is the only changes I have made in years. The oatmeal took it down some, but never below 232, which still isn't too bad. I make a 2 quart thing every other day, so basically I drink a quart a day. Last nite hubby took a lil taste of it and I almost fell over laughing at the face he made. LOL He can't even imagine how I tolerate the stuff, and I make it rather weak. I usually boil about 8-9 cups of water in a glass teapot, let it calm down, then toss in 5 bags of Bigelow green tea with lemon. After it steeps for about 20 minutes, I pour it into a plastic bottle and toss it in the fridge and use it as iced tea. Sometimes I add a lil extra lemon, or even mix a lil grape juice to it, but still can't get hubby to drink it. Oh well, he is doing the other things like the oatmeal, cinnamon and now extra vitamin C after supper, so I won't get on his case. Geez, ain't I sweet???? LOL

Back to watching our UCONN gals play. So far they are not doing good, so hopefully they step it up and don't give Geno, the coach, another migraine.

Have a good one, and TTYL....

BTW, how did your last test go, as I haven't seen any posts in a few months? I know U put it off for awhile, didn't know if U finally made it.

BFN.......

Old 12-06-2005, 05:40 AM   #8
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Gardengal,

I just started fish oil again. I stopped because I eat alot of salmon but i started again. As for vitamin c i do take it but not that much I only take 1000 mgs a day I will up that and I will get the turmeric and I have to try policosinol 1000mgs. I tried the no flush niacin and it rasied my liver enzymes. I will try it agin though. I am taking diovan hct and i did try just the hctz and it made me feel drained. I did not take the zetia last night and this am i feel great again. I was thinking maybe taking it every other day but not sure yet on that.

Hubble, I have been doing searched on BP meds rasing cholesterol and I have not come up with anything yet..Thanks to all you guys for your support and ideas I take all of your wise advice..Lisa

Closed Thread