It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User
Prescription for Trouble

All,

I just got an e-mail from Consumer Unions (publishers of Consumer Reports). I subscribe to the online version of Consumer Reports.

They are urging subscribers to submit an e-mail to their elected officials asking for common-sense drug safety laws. They claim that the FDA is failing to protect the public from potentially dangerous prescription drugs.

I urge you all to read the article entitled 'Prescription for Trouble' in the January issue.

A quote from the e-mail I received:

Quote:
Drug companies currently can hide from you and your doctor studies that show harmful side effects. And the FDA doesn't have the tools it needs to make drug companies complete further safety studies once their drugs reach the market. As a result, drugs like Vioxx, Paxil and others have harmed thousands of consumers in the past few years. You can read more about this in the January issue of Consumer Reports -- "Prescription for Trouble."
By the way, Crestor is one of the 12 drugs 'high risk' drugs they spotlighted.

HubbleRules

Old 12-09-2005, 03:41 PM   #2
(male)

DisManIs2Cool HB User
Re: Prescription for Trouble

I just recently got back from a several month business assignment in Asia, and did not have time to check postings on this site while I was away.

They think we are crazy with all the drugs that we take. They think most Americans are hooked on drugs, and that everyone owns a gun!!!

Consumer Reports is one of the few organizations that has an untarnished reputation - so I think they are probably on to something...

Good to read these posts again...

DismanIs2Cool

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Thax for the info. Hubble. Looks like the general public has to do all the work as usual. Sheez, this is getting old!! I see now on tv they are saying gals that used the birth control patch are having heart attacks and strokes. Good grief, the more they seem to improve things, the worse off the public is. What a rat race.

Hope ya didn't get too much snow. I shoveled about 8" of it today, but at least I got to it before it got icy. I'll call that my work out for today!!

Enjoy, and TTYL.... Time to become a BEACH BUM!!...

Last edited by moderator2; 12-09-2005 at 03:57 PM. Reason: please delete the long quotes

Old 12-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User

Just to give balanced information, Consumer Reports also recommends avoiding the following supplements:

Aristohochic acid
COmfrey
Androstenedione
Chaparral
Germander
Kava
Bitter Orange
Organ/Glandular Extracts
Lobelia
Pennyroyal Oil
Scullap
Yohimbe

JJ - we got about 10 inches - but I worked from home today (thank God for internet connections!!!). Luckily we bought a snow-blower last year. For 18 years we'd been shovelling a 240 foot drive by hand!!! My back can't take that any more. Man - I would love to be a beach bum!!!! At least I can still drink Corona and Lime, even if I'm overlooking a snowy landscape...

TTYL

HubbleRules

Old 12-09-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I like CR's, they give out good info. I hear ya about the back and the driveway. Luckily a friend who has a plow does our's, as it is about 95 feet long and about 40 wide, so that is a major blessing to have that done. No sense in getting a snow blower here, as it would have to be kept in the shed out back, and that is where the snow really piles up, so U wouldn't get to it anyway. LOL Seeing hubby has his antique car on his side of the garage, that sucker takes up ALOT of room, not like these new cars that U fit stuff around them. Oh well, at least we didn't get all the rain mixed in, so it wasn't too hard to shovel, I think I'll live.

Yup, the beach bum life is looking good right about now, and as soon as the hot summer comes, we will be crabbing it is too hot. Are we hard to please or what? Enjoy your evening, stay warm and TTYL.....

Last edited by moderator2; 12-09-2005 at 04:51 PM. Reason: please use the reply button or edit out the quotes

Closed Thread