It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2005, 06:46 PM   #1
(male)

Imacarbuff HB User
Statin Withdrawal Problems

My plan-to stop taking Lipitor completely in about one week. I have been taking 20mg for a few years (and Zocor & Pravachol before that) and last week I thought I would cut back to 10mg (by cutting my 20mgs in half) to ease off instead of stopping from 20mg to nothing.

Tonight (on ConsumerReports.org) I read that "statin withdrawal to a sharply increased risk of stroke,heart attack or death". It mentioned that this came to the front burner when former President Bill Clinton underwent bypass surgery. He had stopped taking his Zocor.

Anyone have any ideas about how to get off these statins without causing more problems than I am trying to cure?

In any case, my insurance company is dumping Lipitor at the end of the year. I would prefer to get off of these....but, if I must stay on one of them-which of the four that I will have to choose from would be best? Lovastatin, Crestor, Zocor or Vytorin? I've heard nothing but bad things about Crestor.
Thanks in advance for anyone who would have time to weigh in on this.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User
Re: Statin Withdrawal Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imacarbuff
My plan-to stop taking Lipitor completely in about one week. I have been taking 20mg for a few years (and Zocor & Pravachol before that) and last week I thought I would cut back to 10mg (by cutting my 20mgs in half) to ease off instead of stopping from 20mg to nothing.

Tonight (on ConsumerReports.org) I read that "statin withdrawal to a sharply increased risk of stroke,heart attack or death". It mentioned that this came to the front burner when former President Bill Clinton underwent bypass surgery. He had stopped taking his Zocor.

Anyone have any ideas about how to get off these statins without causing more problems than I am trying to cure?

In any case, my insurance company is dumping Lipitor at the end of the year. I would prefer to get off of these....but, if I must stay on one of them-which of the four that I will have to choose from would be best? Lovastatin, Crestor, Zocor or Vytorin? I've heard nothing but bad things about Crestor.
Imacarbuff,

I thought that quitting statins cold-turkey was only risky if you had a recent heart attack...

I stopped taking Lipitor cold-turkey about 22 months ago after I started having serious muscle pain and profound weakness. I didn't personally experience any problems dropping the drug.

Lovastatin is a relatively weak statin - which is the one I'd recommend. Zocor is the one most likely to cross the blood-brain barrier - that sounds risky to me - who knows what the long term risk are...

Vytorin is a combination of a Zocor and Ezitimibe... again, I wouldn't personally take Zocor...

HubbleRules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:

When I went off statins cold turkey my numbers went up pretty high for a few months, but then leveled off. AS Hubble said, if U don't wish to go cold turkey, take something well known and the lowest dose.

I have heard some nasty reports about Crestor, so I wouldn't even think of taking that. A friend of mine was on Lipitor for years, even up to 80 mgs. and had very lil side effects, but the minute they switched her to Crestor, she had nasty side effects. She now is on Vytorin and seems to be doing ok.

Good luck.....

Old 12-10-2005, 06:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:

....but, if I must stay on one of them-which of the four that I will have to choose from would be best? Lovastatin, Crestor, Zocor or Vytorin? I've heard nothing but bad things about Crestor.
Ima,
If I were in your boat I would cut my choice to two: Zocor or Vytorin. Both use simvastatin which will be generic next year but the Vytorin uses additional ezetimibe which allows an even lower dose of statin for the same results.
A lot depends on whether or not the ezetimibe causes untoward side effects for you.

I think the statin "withdrawal" thing is really just a way of saying that if you STOP taking them you will stop getting the benefits of lower cholesterol that they conferred. It's not that things would get worse than if you had never taken them. I don't think any weaning is necessary.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-10-2005 at 06:48 AM.

Closed Thread