It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User
High Fructose Corn Syrup

All,

I've been reading for sometime on alternative-medicine sights that High Fructose Corn Syrup is no good for us. Yesterday I read of some research at the University of Florida that found that high fructose diets can help accelerate obesity and may be contributing to the onset of 'metabolic syndrome' - sometimes called the 'pre-diabetic stage'.

It appears that fructose makes us feel hungrier than we should - with the result that we overeat. It also leads to the build-up of uric acid in the body, which interferes with the action of insulin. If uric acid levels are frequently elevated, over time features of metabolic syndrome may develop, including high blood pressure, obesity and elevated blood cholesterol levels

High Fructose Corn Syrup is another of those 'man made' ingredients that began appearing in the food supply in the 70's (as did hydrogenated oils - trans-fats)... It is commonly found in processed foods.

I'm going add HFCS to the things I look for in the ingredient list of the foods we buy.

HubbleRules

Old 12-18-2005, 02:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup

HFCS (carbs) is as bad and nasty as Trans fats (lipids).Both created in lab and unnatural to our DNA as how to be dealt with in the body !! I can't even find plain yogurt without HFCS in it !! Good thread !!! harry!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules
All,

I've been reading for sometime on alternative-medicine sights that High Fructose Corn Syrup is no good for us. Yesterday I read of some research at the University of Florida that found that high fructose diets can help accelerate obesity and may be contributing to the onset of 'metabolic syndrome' - sometimes called the 'pre-diabetic stage'.

It appears that fructose makes us feel hungrier than we should - with the result that we overeat. It also leads to the build-up of uric acid in the body, which interferes with the action of insulin. If uric acid levels are frequently elevated, over time features of metabolic syndrome may develop, including high blood pressure, obesity and elevated blood cholesterol levels

High Fructose Corn Syrup is another of those 'man made' ingredients that began appearing in the food supply in the 70's (as did hydrogenated oils - trans-fats)... It is commonly found in processed foods.

I'm going add HFCS to the things I look for in the ingredient list of the foods we buy.

HubbleRules
With hubby being diabetic, I have to watch out for that stuff as well, but also for my own health. they have some sneaky ways of adding it to stuff, so U really have to be careful. I had bought some grape/cranberry juice, and after drinking some noticed it was rather sweet. Well, I looked on the back and saw it had quite abit of Fructose in it. Good grief, by the time we get finished having to read every single label, it will take us 3 hrs. to groc. shop.

Ya really have to watch some of these things, it is amazing how much junk we don't see on the labels. If ya don't wear glasses, ya sure will by the time U read all these fool labels.........

Take care fellow Beach Bum....TTYL......

BTW, just saw your signature, toooo cute.

Last edited by JJ; 12-18-2005 at 03:59 PM.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
I had bought some grape/cranberry juice, and after drinking some noticed it was rather sweet. Well, I looked on the back and saw it had quite abit of Fructose in it. Good grief, by the time we get finished having to read every single label, it will take us 3 hrs. to groc. shop.
Many of the "juice drinks" are only about 25% juice. I consider them to be fruit-flavored syrups. This is typical of many which contain cranberry, raspberry, etc. I always look for the label that says "100% juice" in that type of drinks. Cranberry would be too sour alone, but it is fine when mixed with apple juice and/or grape juice. And at least that way you are getting natural juice.

Old 12-18-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
Many of the "juice drinks" are only about 25% juice. I consider them to be fruit-flavored syrups. This is typical of many which contain cranberry, raspberry, etc. I always look for the label that says "100% juice" in that type of drinks. Cranberry would be too sour alone, but it is fine when mixed with apple juice and/or grape juice. And at least that way you are getting natural juice.
Well usually we get the Welchs grape, but hubby saw this stuff when we were in Wally world..Wal marts, and said, oh they are all the same...NOT!!! I just can't get it into his head he has to read labels. AARGGGGG

The cranberry is tart, but it doesn't bother me, but like the green tea, hubby can't handle it. This stuff actually gave him heart burn, and when I read the label dumped it. Now I told him, either we get the Welchs or forget it. Sheesh, some people are soooo stubborn......

I'm not a juice drinker, but a lil of the Welchs doesn't bother me, so unless he goes and buys stuff on his own, I will definitely decide what he drinks, as the last thing he needs is more sugary junk.

Old 12-18-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

I often buy the Wal-Mart's grape-cranberry-apple blend. It's 100% juice. But at our local store, it is usually stocked right next to the cranberry "syrup", as I call it. That one has a 130% something on the label on the front. Maybe it is 130% daily need for ascorbic acid. I can't remember. But if you look carefully, they do have some "Sam's" 100% juices.

Old 12-18-2005, 07:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
I often buy the Wal-Mart's grape-cranberry-apple blend. It's 100% juice. But at our local store, it is usually stocked right next to the cranberry "syrup", as I call it. That one has a 130% something on the label on the front. Maybe it is 130% daily need for ascorbic acid. I can't remember. But if you look carefully, they do have some "Sam's" 100% juices.
Hi Uff...I just looked in the cabinet and found we did buy Sam's 100% grape juice last visit to Wally world. I just explained to hubby that when we buy juices, to make sure he looks at the label. I actually think he understood me this time. LOL He hates shopping, so when we go he will grap any ole thing, and it just annoys me to death at times.

The 130% is vitamin C, that is what is on the front, and it says 100% Grape. At least we know now what to pick up, as last time I can't even remember the brand he graped.

Hope all is well, and have a great nite......

Old 12-18-2005, 07:23 PM   #8
(female)

gardeninggal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
With hubby being diabetic, I have to watch out for that stuff as well, but also for my own health. they have some sneaky ways of adding it to stuff, so U really have to be careful. I had bought some grape/cranberry juice, and after drinking some noticed it was rather sweet. Well, I looked on the back and saw it had quite abit of Fructose in it. Good grief, by the time we get finished having to read every single label, it will take us 3 hrs. to groc. shop.

Ya really have to watch some of these things, it is amazing how much junk we don't see on the labels. If ya don't wear glasses, ya sure will by the time U read all these fool labels.........

Take care fellow Beach Bum....TTYL......

BTW, just saw your signature, toooo cute.
JJ, you are so right about having to spend a lot of time reading, we try to buy the things that are less sat. fat and don't you know we slipped up and got some chips that seemed OK till we got home and read the label better and guess what the fat was in it.....Olestra, and yes it does cause runs! I love juices and we often have 100% purple grape juice with our evening meal. I really like the Heart healthy orange juice but does anyone else out there get a real case of gas from that juice and from the margarines with the new blend of healthy oils. I feel like they are so good to lower cholesterol but I make sure if I am going to be away I skip taking them. I notice there is a lot of soy being used and that may be the problem though I thought it might not cause gas being it is soy oil, but I must be wrong. Buy the way JJ is it cold out your way, I gather you live out east, and I am in Minnesota. We have about 10 inches of that beautiful white stuff and after 9pm tonight we have 2 below. Time to throw another log on the fire and feel sorry for our furry friends outside.

Old 12-18-2005, 07:46 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeninggal
JJ, you are so right about having to spend a lot of time reading, we try to buy the things that are less sat. fat and don't you know we slipped up and got some chips that seemed OK till we got home and read the label better and guess what the fat was in it.....Olestra, and yes it does cause runs! I love juices and we often have 100% purple grape juice with our evening meal. I really like the Heart healthy orange juice but does anyone else out there get a real case of gas from that juice and from the margarines with the new blend of healthy oils. I feel like they are so good to lower cholesterol but I make sure if I am going to be away I skip taking them. I notice there is a lot of soy being used and that may be the problem though I thought it might not cause gas being it is soy oil, but I must be wrong. Buy the way JJ is it cold out your way, I gather you live out east, and I am in Minnesota. We have about 10 inches of that beautiful white stuff and after 9pm tonight we have 2 below. Time to throw another log on the fire and feel sorry for our furry friends outside.

Hi kiddo, yup, I am getting very label crazy lately, but U have to be, as they toss in crap U aren't aware of. Guess we all make mistakes and buy things we think are ok, then get them home and say..OPPPPS!! I can't remember what I bought that had that Olestra in it, but oh brother, I stayed near my lil blue room for a day, didn't dare take off and go out. Haven't tried the OJ, as I am not a big OJ fan, so can't help ya there.

I use to use the Land O Lakes margarine, now I switched to Promise health smart, and I like the taste. My friend in MN. told me about it, as her dr. told her it was one of the best out there, as it has NO Trans. fats. I didn't think the LOL had any, but when I went to their website, noticed it did have Trans. fats. Guess now that they are requiring them to list it, they finally did. She told me since she has been using it, her HDL has gone from 58 to 86. Don't know if that is why, but hey, I'm willing to try!!!

Yes, I am in CT. and I know U guys have some nasty low temps. We are cold here, but nothing like U guys YET!!! When my friend tells me what she is getting, I know it is just a matter of days before we get it. Hopefully it will stay fairly nice this week, as so many folks will be traveling and doing that last minute shopping. We had some ice in the driveway, and the other nite when I went to get out of the truck, sort of slipped. Didn't fall, but I got my buns out there the next day and chopped it up, don't need any boo-boo's for Xmas........

Enjoy your fire, stay warm, and think spring.......

Old 12-20-2005, 04:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

JJ, if you hubby is diabetic should he even be drinking juices? I am diabetic and my dietician said juices were a no no for me. My mom and grandmom are diabetics as well, they were told the same thing.

Neither of them listen much. My mom drinks only o.j., but my grandmom drinks all juices. They are on insulin, i am on glucophage. Does that make a difference?

Old 12-20-2005, 05:12 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User

All,

I think juices have been high in sugar for at least 10-15 years - much sweeter than I remember as a kid...

I rarely drink them straight - I find them too sweet.

I usually dilute them at least 50/50 (sometime more) with water. I still like the flavor, and know that I'm not increasing my calories or sugar intake needlessly.

JJ - don't worry - I NEVER dilute my Corona...

HubbleRules

Old 12-21-2005, 07:33 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules
All,

I think juices have been high in sugar for at least 10-15 years - much sweeter than I remember as a kid...

I rarely drink them straight - I find them too sweet.

I usually dilute them at least 50/50 (sometime more) with water. I still like the flavor, and know that I'm not increasing my calories or sugar intake needlessly.

JJ - don't worry - I NEVER dilute my Corona...

HubbleRules
I'm with you Hubble, I don't remember juices being so sweet either. I don't really like things sweet, so I know when I drink something that I did years ago and can't stand it, something is REALLY wrong. Have no idea why they make stuff with all that junk in it, noone needs it, and alot of us hate it.

Oh well, my green tea is nice and tart and U have your Corona, so we should be all set......

Old 12-21-2005, 12:03 PM   #13
(male)

Rick49 HB User

..I agree that HFCS is something to avoid and we wouldn't think that much about it if it was called by it's real name. The only thing really evil about High Fructose Corn syrup is the name. There's three main type of sugars, Frutose (the naturally occuring sugar in fruits), Sucrose(table sugar), and Glucose(the same sugar that our bodies use). Fructose is metabolized very slowly compared to glucose (which is a good thing), sucrose is somewhere in between fructose and glucose, and glucose is readily obsorbed into the blood stream, very little if any digestion takes place which is very, very bad.
...What is commonly called corn syrup on the market today is chemically identical to glucose. Of course who would buy a bottle of glucose to make those pecan pies? HFCS is a mixture of the two sugars in an attempt to equal the same glycemic value of sucrose (table sugar). Remember the sugar shortage back in the day? that's when they came up with this mixture. while it would make sense that HFCS would equal sucrose, the fact is that the corn syrup is instantly metabolised and spikes your blood sugar regardless of anything you mix with it.
...So all the bad things mentioned previously are characteristics of corn syrup and not fructose. I still haven't figured out why they stop the refinement of cornsyrup at the glucose stage and just go ahead and make fructose( commercially available fructose is just a further refinement of cornsyrup). I went on a diet based on the glycemic index because metabolic syndrome was causing me other health problems. The first blood work I had after going on the diet showed a drop in my triglycerides from 350 to 97 and my hdl came up from 35 to 40. LDL is still bad but that's a different process and isn't effected by our carbohydrate metabolism.
...So while our internal glucose gives us life, drinking the stuff isn't a good idea. You can buy Sugar Cane Syrup to make those pecan pies and whil still not that good for you, it's only has 60% the effect that corn syrup does. I also have some granulated fructose that I use to sweeten drinks or cereal (if I feel the need) and fructose metabolises at 30% the rate of glucose.
...Just as an FYI Potatoes, white breads, and white rice metabolize at 80% the rate of glucose. So if HFCS is giving you health problems, potatoes, white bread, and white rice will do the same thing. Not of these things are bad in moderation as our blood sugar is spike from not only the type of carb but also the quantity. There's a rating of carbs based on how the effect our blood glucose as compared to glucose(corn syrup) with cornsyrup =100%. It's called the glycemic index and basically illustrates that 60 grams of a carb with an index of 30 is equal to 30 grams of a carb that has an index of 60. It' s not all what you eat but how much when it comes to controlling metabolic syndrome.
Rick

Old 12-21-2005, 03:38 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick49
..I agree that HFCS is something to avoid and we wouldn't think that much about it if it was called by it's real name. The only thing really evil about High Fructose Corn syrup is the name. There's three main type of sugars, Frutose (the naturally occuring sugar in fruits), Sucrose(table sugar), and Glucose(the same sugar that our bodies use). Fructose is metabolized very slowly compared to glucose (which is a good thing), sucrose is somewhere in between fructose and glucose, and glucose is readily obsorbed into the blood stream, very little if any digestion takes place which is very, very bad.
...What is commonly called corn syrup on the market today is chemically identical to glucose. Of course who would buy a bottle of glucose to make those pecan pies? HFCS is a mixture of the two sugars in an attempt to equal the same glycemic value of sucrose (table sugar). Remember the sugar shortage back in the day? that's when they came up with this mixture. while it would make sense that HFCS would equal sucrose, the fact is that the corn syrup is instantly metabolised and spikes your blood sugar regardless of anything you mix with it.
...So all the bad things mentioned previously are characteristics of corn syrup and not fructose. I still haven't figured out why they stop the refinement of cornsyrup at the glucose stage and just go ahead and make fructose( commercially available fructose is just a further refinement of cornsyrup). I went on a diet based on the glycemic index because metabolic syndrome was causing me other health problems. The first blood work I had after going on the diet showed a drop in my triglycerides from 350 to 97 and my hdl came up from 35 to 40. LDL is still bad but that's a different process and isn't effected by our carbohydrate metabolism.
...So while our internal glucose gives us life, drinking the stuff isn't a good idea. You can buy Sugar Cane Syrup to make those pecan pies and whil still not that good for you, it's only has 60% the effect that corn syrup does. I also have some granulated fructose that I use to sweeten drinks or cereal (if I feel the need) and fructose metabolises at 30% the rate of glucose.
...Just as an FYI Potatoes, white breads, and white rice metabolize at 80% the rate of glucose. So if HFCS is giving you health problems, potatoes, white bread, and white rice will do the same thing. Not of these things are bad in moderation as our blood sugar is spike from not only the type of carb but also the quantity. There's a rating of carbs based on how the effect our blood glucose as compared to glucose(corn syrup) with cornsyrup =100%. It's called the glycemic index and basically illustrates that 60 grams of a carb with an index of 30 is equal to 30 grams of a carb that has an index of 60. It' s not all what you eat but how much when it comes to controlling metabolic syndrome.
Rick
Very good explanation of the stuff Rick. Like I told Hubble, I don't like things sweet, except an occassional small piece of candy, so I sure can do without stuff with HFCS in it. Getting so U have to read every fool thing U pick up off a shelf these days. Of course alot of times the print is so stinking small, U can very easily overlook some of these nasty ingredients......

Have a good nite.......

Old 12-22-2005, 02:34 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User

Rick,

Thanks for that post!

I didn't realize that HFCS has the same glycemic-index as glucose!!! That's even more reason to avoid it...

By the way, do you get granulated Fructose in the grocery store? Or do you have to go to a health-food store to buy it?

Also, thanks for pointing out that LDL is not directly affected by carbohydrate intake.

I'm also trying to lower the glycemic-index of foods I eat. My doctor said that I am getting close to metabolic-syndrome, and I think it is relatively easy (for me personally) to avoid by diet and exercise and weight loss.

HubbleRules

Last edited by HubbleRules; 12-22-2005 at 03:03 AM.

Closed Thread