It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
(male)

madams2 HB User
Can clogged arteries become unclogged?

I know the subject of this topic might be weird but I don't understand and was hoping to get some clarification.

From what I know...there are 2 types of cholesterol (good and bad). The bad will clog up arteries but the good fights that and keeps them unclogged. My question refers to the person who goes unchecked for years with high levels of bad cholesterol and low levels of good. That person's arteries are becoming clogged. One day that person finally gets their blood checked and discovers the problem. That person than does what ever it takes and lowers the bad and raises the good. Now...since the arteries were already starting to be clogged will they become less clogged with the higher levels of good cholesterol or is that something that is not reversible?

Also, how can you tell how clogged they are? Will an EKG tell if there is a problem or not?

Last edited by madams2; 01-03-2006 at 01:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
(female)

lipidprofiler HB User
Re: Can clogged arteries become unclogged?

Hi there - Me again -

There is some evidence that getting your LDL levels low enough can reverse stenosis (clogging) of the arteries.

Keep in mind that atherosclerosis is a process that typically takes decades to cause the damage that it causes, so reversing it, assuming it's possible, is again a time consuming process to say the least.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2006, 05:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madams2
I know the subject of this topic might be weird but I don't understand and was hoping to get some clarification.

From what I know...there are 2 types of cholesterol (good and bad). The bad will clog up arteries but the good fights that and keeps them unclogged. My question refers to the person who goes unchecked for years with high levels of bad cholesterol and low levels of good. That person's arteries are becoming clogged. One day that person finally gets their blood checked and discovers the problem. That person than does what ever it takes and lowers the bad and raises the good. Now...since the arteries were already starting to be clogged will they become less clogged with the higher levels of good cholesterol or is that something that is not reversible?

Also, how can you tell how clogged they are? Will an EKG tell if there is a problem or not?
My husband always had very good cholesterol numbers, yet in 1994 I noticed he was getting pale looking and out of breath alot. When his yearly physical came due, I went with him, as I knew he wouldn't say anything to the dr., so I made sure I did. He sent him to a cardio man, and within a few days had a cath done, and yes, his left side arteries were 94-98% blocked. The next week he went in for what we called a roto rooter job of cleaning his arteries, it was a fairly new procedure where they scrape the plaque and pull it out.

Of course now he is under a cardio mans care, and so far, so good, never had another blockage. Last year he had a Mibi image done to see if there was any plaque, and all that was there was a small amount on the right side, which was also there when he had the arteries cleaned in 94. Although he was on statins for 7 yrs. after the operation, it did nothing to clear the little amount of plaque on the right side. He has since stopped taking any cholesterol meds. due to side effects. I doubt an EKG will show blockage, but U could ask for an image type test, even an Echo I believe would show it.

Hope this helped, and good luck getting your numbers down. Seeing it is mostly your Trigs., I think losing weight, exercising, and staying away from sugary and starchy foods, like potatoes, white rice, white bread, pasta and pre packaged stuff just might do the trick for you. Staying away from these things will also help your other numbers. AS far as rasing the HDL, that is a problem, unless U can take Niacin or even drink a small glass or two of red wine a nite.

Best wishes......

Old 01-04-2006, 06:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

madam,

There is evidence that SLIGHT reversal of plaques can occur with VERY low levels of LDL, like below 70 for a long period...usually drug induced, and some evidence that they can be reversed with excruciatingly low fat intakes...like less than 10% of the diet, almost ALL non-saturated.
On the other hand, control to 70 mg. LDL is a NEW thing, and it may have more of a payoff then we know after the demographic count is in for thousands of people and a decade of data. Maybe the picture is far rosier than I am allowing myself to hope?

But it's a far cry from the scant evidence of SOME plaque reversal occurs with great effort to generalizing that yes, do this and this and you will roll back your plaques.
The goal is to keep us alive and angina free, without heart attacks or cardiomypathy and heart failure. This is usually accomplished by holding the status quo, by making sure no NEW plaques are laid down and the old ones are held to the same, or God willing smaller, size.
When we lose a battle and a plaque becomes obtrusive, we then do battle against it by angioplasty and stent, or the better idea of JJ's, atherectomy (I DO hope that catches on.)

I think we aim for status quo, any plaque REDUCTION is icing on the cake (pardon the mixed metaphor.)

Old 01-04-2006, 06:31 AM   #5
(male)

madams2 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure how it worked but I think now I get.

Thanks for the education

Old 01-04-2006, 08:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

When we lose a battle and a plaque becomes obtrusive, we then do battle against it by angioplasty and stent, or the better idea of JJ's, atherectomy (I DO hope that catches on.)

Thanx for right terminology Lenin of the procedure. Good grief, U would think after all these years I would remember it, but still keep calling it the ole "Roto Rooter" job. I was also very impressed with the new Mibi machine. I looked it up on the web, and wow, that is one big machine. Glad hubby has such an up to date cardio guy, I learn something new almost every time we need to go for a visit, as he will explain anything U don't understand, and he does it in layman terms, got to love him......

Closed Thread