It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User
Are crab legs good or bad for cholesterol ?

This is something that I have heard both sides on. Some say that crabs are bottom feeders and horrible for cholesterol & will raise it). Others have said that they only contain good cholesterol which will help raise HDL dramatically. And they are FAR to expensive to actually experiment with. Personally, I love them, but the only time I get them is at a Chinese resteraunt usually on the weekends on a rare occassion.

But what is the real truth about them in relation to cholesterol? I know that they are bottom feeders but I always thought anything that was salt water related was good for us, fish, etc....Even the Web has little information that I can find anyway.

Anyone know?

Old 01-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User
Re: Are crab legs good or bad for cholesterol ?

Stumper,

I'm not so sure that crab and lobsters are bad for your cholesterol level. Actually, crab and lobster are lower in fat and cholesterol than red meat. It's the butter that people dunk them in and the sauces they're served in that adds most of the fat and cholesterol content to the meal.

For example, dungerness crab (3 ounces - about 85 grams) contains 1 gram of fat (mostly poly and mono saturated), 65 mg cholesterol and 95 calories.

Lobster (100g) contains about .6 grams fat, 72 mg cholesterol, and 98 calories.

White chicken meat (100g) contains about 4.5 grams fat, 85 mg cholesterol and 173 calories.

100mg of Top Round contains 5.8 grams fat, 90 mg cholesterol and 207 calories.

I wouldn't be concerned about their being bottom feeders - you're only eating the white meat - most of the toxins are filtered out by their livers.

I'd be more concerned about the toxins in oysters and muscles - they require a supply of clean water to help remove toxins from their systems ( if you can call that moosh systems). I'm not sure of their cholesterol content - but I wouldn't eat any unless they were thoroughly clean.

HubbleRules

Last edited by HubbleRules; 01-28-2006 at 07:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2006, 05:56 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules
Stumper,

I'm not so sure that crab and lobsters are bad for your cholesterol level. Actually, crab and lobster are lower in fat and cholesterol than red meat. It's the butter that people dunk them in and the sauces they're served in that adds most of the fat and cholesterol content to the meal.

For example, dungerness crab (3 ounces - about 85 grams) contains 1 gram of fat (mostly poly and mono saturated), 65 mg cholesterol and 95 calories.

Lobster (100g) contains about .6 grams fat, 72 mg cholesterol, and 98 calories.

White chicken meat (100g) contains about 4.5 grams fat, 85 mg cholesterol and 173 calories.

100mg of Top Round contains 5.8 grams fat, 90 mg cholesterol and 207 calories.

I wouldn't be concerned about their being bottom feeders - you're only eating the white meat - most of the toxins are filtered out by their livers.

I'd be more concerned about the toxins in oysters and muscles - they require a supply of clean water to help remove toxins from their systems ( if you can call that moosh systems). I'm not sure of their cholesterol content - but I wouldn't eat any unless they were thoroughly clean.

HubbleRules

Hubbles,

Thanks for the info.
It would seem as though crabmeat would then be actually good for a person provided they ate it with very little butter. I have wondered about shrimp as well.
Not long ago I had heard something somewhere on Television that said crabmeat stays in the intestinal tract for 10 years. How someone would know this is beyond me, but it seemed as though the program I was watching was a health related program. If it is true however, then that could explain some of the mistrust when it concerns cholesterol.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumper
Hubbles,
Not long ago I had heard something somewhere on Television that said crabmeat stays in the intestinal tract for 10 years.
Stumper,

It just goes to show 'you can't believe everything you hear or see'.

This obviously must have been an exaggerated comment to drive some sort of point home.

Obviously the person didn't like crab meat!! Too bad - they'll never know the pleasure of soft-shell crab sandwiches...

HubbleRules

Old 01-29-2006, 06:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

A cup of Blue Crab meat (118 grams) has 118 milligrams of Cholesterol or about HALF the amount in one large egg yolk.
I wouldn't worry about the crab too much. (Especially since the calories are so kind!)
At THOSE prices I doubt anyone will be eating it on a daily basis.

I had SNOW CRAB legs last night at a buffet ...dipped in Wasabi though, no butter. GOOOOOD!

Last edited by Lenin; 01-29-2006 at 06:33 AM.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
A cup of Blue Crab meat (118 grams) has 118 milligrams of Cholesterol or about HALF the amount in one large egg yolk.
I wouldn't worry about the crab too much. (Especially since the calories are so kind!)
At THOSE prices I doubt anyone will be eating it on a daily basis.

I had SNOW CRAB legs last night at a buffet ...dipped in Wasabi though, no butter. GOOOOOD!

Lenin,

If I'm not mistaken those Snow Crab legs are the BIG ones? Those HAVE to be good!

What sort of a buffet? Chinese?

They are expensive as I could go to Giant Eagle and they can be up to $32.00 a tray. I, and probably MOST crab leg lovers can eat far more than a GE trayfull. A heavy duty crab leg lover can probably make a Chinese resteraunt lose money at a buffet. I usually eat 3 plate fulls firsthand which is probably small compared to really big lovers.

I saw a really big guy (at least 300+lb.) come in to the Chinese place here and the owners looked kind of scared a little bit.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

No Stump.
It's the KING CRAB legs that are the inch thick 2 footers. SNOW crabs are more delicate and about HALF that size, thus still huge, by crab standards but harder to eat than their Herculean cousins.

Yes it was Chinese, called the Midtown Buffet just a block south of Times Square on Seventh Ave. I don't know HOW they make money (all you can eat $9.95
THey also had 3 different LARGE shrimp dishes, and poached salmon and bacala (salt cod) and a MOUNTAIN of deliciously done spare ribs, and DUCK...and...and...and. I stayed away from all the cheapies like rice and noodles! I finished with a mountain of ECLAIRS!

Amazing thing is I dropped a pound yesterday morning and another today...HOORAH!

Last edited by Lenin; 01-30-2006 at 05:15 AM.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Lenin,,
It makes those Cholesterol meds worth EVERY penny.
That's one other reason I like the meds, they pull for us at the appropiate time and THAT leads to something called 'living'.

Yeah, I don't know how many Chinese restaraunts make money either. They must be buying those crab legs in bulk or something because if they got them at GE they would certainly lose money. I saw one guy really yell because there was no crab legs in the bin when he went up...there then was all kinds of hollering in the kitchen, and someone ran out there with a bin full. I've seen those bins empty in minutes on busy nights.

BUT, if you really think about, crab legs aside, everything else they have is chicken, rice sauces , soups, and just cheap food. And alot of those who work there look like they just immigrated in and probably are paid very very little anyway.
Although not necessary, I usually leave a small tip at a Chinese buffet about 5% or so, Some of the women look like they could use it.

Last edited by Stumper; 01-31-2006 at 02:48 PM.

Closed Thread