It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
(male)

Imacarbuff HB User
Link Between Statins & Indigestion/GERD??

Just before my use of statins became overwhelming and I had to stop taking them (Lipitor, then Zocor) I developed indigestion-very unusual for me. Sure, I've had heartburn before-but usually it was after eating half of a pizza (once every couple of months or so) or something like that. I would take two Tums and that would take care of it.

Anyway, I'm wondering now-since statins seem to have caused problems and pain (and burning and tingling) in nearly every muscle in my body or so it seems, if there is a link. Since there are some muscles involved in digestion-anyone think this could be related or simply by chance?

My take is that I was on statins for years with no real problems. Then, just when the muscle aches started to really bother me....I develop ongoing heartburn and some indigestion for the first time in my life. I took Nexium which was effective....but I was still taking Zocor then. Now, I'm off of Zocor but had completed my 4 week course of Nexium already.

While my legs are getting much better as are my arms and shoulders-even my back was only slightly painful today-this heartburn continues. Just wondering if anyone else felt a relationship between statins and heartburn-which would continue even after almost two weeks of not taking Zocor.

Thanks.....I've learned so much from this site!
Imacarbuff

Old 02-06-2006, 05:32 AM   #2
Inactive

vipergg22 HB User
Re: Link Between Statins & Indigestion/GERD??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imacarbuff
Just before my use of statins became overwhelming and I had to stop taking them (Lipitor, then Zocor) I developed indigestion-very unusual for me. Sure, I've had heartburn before-but usually it was after eating half of a pizza (once every couple of months or so) or something like that. I would take two Tums and that would take care of it.

Anyway, I'm wondering now-since statins seem to have caused problems and pain (and burning and tingling) in nearly every muscle in my body or so it seems, if there is a link. Since there are some muscles involved in digestion-anyone think this could be related or simply by chance?

My take is that I was on statins for years with no real problems. Then, just when the muscle aches started to really bother me....I develop ongoing heartburn and some indigestion for the first time in my life. I took Nexium which was effective....but I was still taking Zocor then. Now, I'm off of Zocor but had completed my 4 week course of Nexium already.

While my legs are getting much better as are my arms and shoulders-even my back was only slightly painful today-this heartburn continues. Just wondering if anyone else felt a relationship between statins and heartburn-which would continue even after almost two weeks of not taking Zocor.

Thanks.....I've learned so much from this site!
Imacarbuff

Oh yeah that stuff can cause "major" digestive problems . When I was taking it many foods would go right thru me and I had better be near a bathroom about 30 minutes after eating .It felt like your insides were going to explode if you didn't get to the bathroom , not a great feeling. Never had heart burn per seh but food would go right thru me and stuff like dairy products also caused problems . My brother inlaw had the same problems and he had to stop the medicine for those reasons . Once I stopped statins hardly anything bothers my stomach anymore and even dairy products do not bother me anymore . Be patient it can take up to a month or more to get that stuff out of your system . As for the burning and tingling it is very possible you have the early signs of peripheral neuropathy a well known side effect of these wonderful drugs , I know I have a permanent case in both feet caused by taking statins which has not resolved itself after stopping but I had been taking statins like 3 years so by that time the damage was permanent , and of course the doctor said it couldn't be the drugs . It didn't matter that this showed up within a month of starting the drugs , it couldn't be the drugs .

Last edited by vipergg22; 02-06-2006 at 05:42 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
(female)

gardeninggal HB User

Imacarbuff, you bet statins can cause stomach trouble. I got such pains felt like an ulcer or worse. I read on the lit. from the drug store and sure enough it said if you get stomach pains stop taking the statin. I did and the pain went away the next day, now before Lenin can say it was something I ate that day, this had been going on for over 10 days to the point that my husband was going to take me to the clinic. It also did a number on my bowel and I ended up having one of those wonderful exams because my stools had turned black. I also had something that I never put together with Lipitor and that was everyday when I got up I could hardly walk because my feet hurt so bad, eventually it would wear off when I walked more but it troubled me. Since I have stopped the statins that has gone away and since then I have read some posts and found out that it is a common thing with statins. There were other things, memory and a funny thing would happen to me, I would begin to say something and I knew what I wanted to say but the last word of my sentence would not be the word I wanted but rather one that rhymed with it. Very weird but thank the Lord that has pretty much corrected itself. Oh yes another thing that happened when I quit statins, my blood pressure went down, the top number went down 10 points, sure made me happy. In General I feel so much better, I will never go back on them, even if they say I will live a few years longer (by the way that is debatable) anyway I would rather have good feeling years not years with pain.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeninggal
Imacarbuff, you bet statins can cause stomach trouble. I got such pains felt like an ulcer or worse. I read on the lit. from the drug store and sure enough it said if you get stomach pains stop taking the statin. I did and the pain went away the next day, now before Lenin can say it was something I ate that day, this had been going on for over 10 days to the point that my husband was going to take me to the clinic. It also did a number on my bowel and I ended up having one of those wonderful exams because my stools had turned black. I also had something that I never put together with Lipitor and that was everyday when I got up I could hardly walk because my feet hurt so bad, eventually it would wear off when I walked more but it troubled me. Since I have stopped the statins that has gone away and since then I have read some posts and found out that it is a common thing with statins. There were other things, memory and a funny thing would happen to me, I would begin to say something and I knew what I wanted to say but the last word of my sentence would not be the word I wanted but rather one that rhymed with it. Very weird but thank the Lord that has pretty much corrected itself. Oh yes another thing that happened when I quit statins, my blood pressure went down, the top number went down 10 points, sure made me happy. In General I feel so much better, I will never go back on them, even if they say I will live a few years longer (by the way that is debatable) anyway I would rather have good feeling years not years with pain.
U sound like me. After the 3rd month I had lousy stomach pains, no appetite, and was losing weight. I thought it was a stomach cold or something, but it kept getting worse. Finally called the dr. and he saw I had lost over 14 lbs., in a lil over 2 weeks, so took me off of them. I didn't have the black stools, but me and the "lil girls room" became VERY good friends...NOT fun.

Needless to say I wound up under a GI guys care for 6 months, all the lovely tests etc. etc., and it took him almost 6 months to quiet my system down. My BP also kept going up and up, and for 59 years I had very low BP, unfortuneatly I wound up on meds for that....... All in all, both the GI guy and my dr. said statins were just not for me. Little by little the BP has been coming down, and I've been taking less and less meds., and hopefully will get off them for good, I hate those fool drugs too.

As I say to EVERYONE, if U can take those things with no problems, God bless ya, for those of us that can't, well, do the best U can to keep the numbers down. I'd rather live 8 years with quality, then 16 with none!

Old 02-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #5

running_guy HB User

Imacarbuff, I had GERD problems shortly after I started taking Lipitor three months ago. One night I actually aspirated during my sleep and I woke up thinking I was having a heart attack. It was a very nasty experience. I stopped taking the lipitor when I developed pelvic pain on top of the GERD. I am going back to red yeast rice in spite if my doctors orders....I also take Zetia. Zetia seems to work well for me in combination with red yeast rice. My last LDL/HDL ratio was 1:1 and my doctor wanted me to try lipitor in place of the red yeast rice. I am done being a lab rat....down with statins. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread