It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Unhappy Hubby's bloodwork..Not happy....

Hubby had a physical last month and his reg. dr. said his BP was quite high, 163/90, normally it has been 130's/70's, and yes, he has been on BP meds. for a few years. She also found a nodule on his prostate, and said his glucose was high, been on meds. for both of these for years also, as he is type 2 diabetic. Needless to say it was not a good news physical. She made an appt. for him to see a urologist, and wanted him to keep tabs on his BP for a month and then report it to her.

Hubby called his cardio man, as he is the one who basically prescribes his meds. Cardio guy told him he was going on vacation that evening, but wanted to see him when he gets back March 7th, and in the meantime ordered bloodwork and called his reg. dr. to hurry up with the urologist appt.

Bloodwork came back to us in the mail today, and I am not a happy camper.
Can't quite remember his last cholesterol numbers, but will give an estimate.

8-05

TC.........About 212
LDL........Couldn't be caluclated due to high Trigs.
HDL.......About 38
Trigs......About 455

Everything else was fine.

2-23-06

TC......180
LDL.......75..I think too low.
HDL.......32..Definitely too low
Trigs....364..Better, but still not good.
VLDL......73..NOT good!

Also on report...A1C...7...was always 5.6-5.8
PSA......0.46....Range 0-4

One thing I saw I didn't understand was eGFR 70.8. I looked it up and it has something to do with the renal flow, and says it shouldn't be over 60. Didn't tell hubby, as I don't want him to get anymore upset then he is over the BP and prostate nodule and high A1C. All other numbers were fine.

This man is doing everything in his power to eat right and exercise, is only about 7 lbs. overweight, never eats junk food, has been doing the oatmeal, cinnamon and extra Vitamin C thing, so I am quite upset over this report. If anyone can give me any info. as to what they think may be going on, I am all ears. I intend to have a talk with the cardio guy, as I just found out his reg. dr. has him on 100mgs. of Atenolol, along with 2 other BP meds. and I'm sorry, from everything I have heard, it can raise your glucose, so I feel he shouldn't be on that high a doseage. Hopefully his cardio guy can adjust his meds. to take care of this problem, but that eGFR thing is kind of upsetting me, as I am wondering if he is having kidney problems. I know U folks aren't drs., but if anyone can give me any input, it is much appreciated. Hopefully I am not reading too much into these numbers, or maybe what I am reading is not what these numbers mean. Sorry for the long post, but this is new to me and as I said, I am quite upset.

Thanx for any input........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User
Re: Hubby's bloodwork..Not happy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Hubby had a physical last month and his reg. dr. said his BP was quite high, 163/90, normally it has been 130's/70's, and yes, he has been on BP meds. for a few years. She also found a nodule on his prostate, and said his glucose was high, been on meds. for both of these for years also, as he is type 2 diabetic. Needless to say it was not a good news physical. She made an appt. for him to see a urologist, and wanted him to keep tabs on his BP for a month and then report it to her.

Hubby called his cardio man, as he is the one who basically prescribes his meds. Cardio guy told him he was going on vacation that evening, but wanted to see him when he gets back March 7th, and in the meantime ordered bloodwork and called his reg. dr. to hurry up with the urologist appt.

Bloodwork came back to us in the mail today, and I am not a happy camper.
Can't quite remember his last cholesterol numbers, but will give an estimate.

8-05

TC.........About 212
LDL........Couldn't be caluclated due to high Trigs.
HDL.......About 38
Trigs......About 455

Everything else was fine.

2-23-06

TC......180
LDL.......75..I think too low.
HDL.......32..Definitely too low
Trigs....364..Better, but still not good.
VLDL......73..NOT good!

Also on report...A1C...7...was always 5.6-5.8
PSA......0.46....Range 0-4

One thing I saw I didn't understand was eGFR 70.8. I looked it up and it has something to do with the renal flow, and says it shouldn't be over 60. Didn't tell hubby, as I don't want him to get anymore upset then he is over the BP and prostate nodule and high A1C. All other numbers were fine.

This man is doing everything in his power to eat right and exercise, is only about 7 lbs. overweight, never eats junk food, has been doing the oatmeal, cinnamon and extra Vitamin C thing, so I am quite upset over this report. If anyone can give me any info. as to what they think may be going on, I am all ears. I intend to have a talk with the cardio guy, as I just found out his reg. dr. has him on 100mgs. of Atenolol, along with 2 other BP meds. and I'm sorry, from everything I have heard, it can raise your glucose, so I feel he shouldn't be on that high a doseage. Hopefully his cardio guy can adjust his meds. to take care of this problem, but that eGFR thing is kind of upsetting me, as I am wondering if he is having kidney problems. I know U folks aren't drs., but if anyone can give me any input, it is much appreciated. Hopefully I am not reading too much into these numbers, or maybe what I am reading is not what these numbers mean. Sorry for the long post, but this is new to me and as I said, I am quite upset.

Thanx for any input........
is he on any cholesterol medication?

Old 02-25-2006, 09:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by finres
is he on any cholesterol medication?

No, he had his arteries cleaned in 94 and was on Lipitor for 7 years. After I was put on and got nasty side effects, he realized his problems were from them also, and his cardio man took him off, in spite of what his reg. dr. felt.

He has been doing pretty ok the last few years, except for the PN, so this is all a nasty new set of problems. Like I said, the prostate was checked about 14 years ago, he was on meds. for it since, and all has been fine, as was the BP and his A1c counts.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

I know that my mother was on another beta blocker before and her trigs. went way up. We thought maybe too many sweets and such. However found an article in medical publication that said some beta bloackers raise trigs. and blood sugar. It also said that coreg would not do this. After we had the doctor switch her to coreg (which is worse than negotiating a contract with a third world country) her blood sugar and trigs went back to narmal, took less than 2 weeks. Also thought you might need to check him for magnesium... Has to be an intracellular test. Low magnesium can cause or aggrevate diabetes. ALso beta blockers deplete Coq10 and if i remember correctly some magnesium. ALso remember that some beta blockers can raise the psa scores. Mother is on 6.25 mg of coreg 2x day. started at 3.125 2x day. This is still really a low dose, but brought it down from the 160's to the 119-130 range. I will see a kidney doctor at the gym tomorrow, and will ask him about the kidney issue.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User

JJ,

I'm sorry to hear about hubby's higher BP and the nodule that they found. Definitely get him to the urologist quickly to have the prostate examined more closely...

As far as a1C is concerned, I did some searching and it is a type of measure of blood glucose, and should not be greater than 7 - so hubby's A1C number appears OK - higher than before, but still OK.

The eGFR is a measure of how well the kidneys are functioning. From what I read, values UNDER 60 are of concern. The charts I saw indicated that 90+ indicate normal kidney function, and 60-80 indicate mildly reduced kidney function - where observation (going back and having the number recheched periodically) and maintaining BP are the suggested actions. So don't get too worried over either of these 2 numbers - I think hubby is OK or borderline-OK on both...

I pray the nodule turns out be nothing - and they usually do, but I'm sure it is what is causing most of the anxiety for you and Hubby. Getting to the doctor asap and having a definite diagnosis will tell you what the true situation is..and aleviate the 'not knowing'. It's the waiting and not knowing that is the worst... Until then, try not to get too upset... you can get sick from too much worry... REmember that his PSA level is very low - which is very good.. so the nodule is probably going to turn out to be nothing. Try to do things that will take your minds off it until you get to see the doctor... rent some comedy dvds...

Just remember that you've both been doing all the right things one could do to help with his health... and try to stay optimistic (easy for me to say, I know)...

TTYL

HubbleRules

Last edited by HubbleRules; 02-25-2006 at 09:47 PM.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

JJ,

Take solace in the .46 PSA. Very few men ever have prostate cancer with an antibody count that low.

Has he ever tried niacin to up that miserable HDL...32 is terrible for anyone with heart disease.

He needs somebody expert in diabetes to get those triglycerides in hand. I'm not expert in the diabetes-triglycerides connection but it is real.
Are there ANY antilipidemic agents he can take?

But at least that PSA is a very nice number to hang one's hat on!

Old 02-26-2006, 08:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ

JJ,

From what I have been able to find out, EGFR can mean a couple of different types of tests. Yes, one of them is for kidney function, called "Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate."

The other test, also known as EGFR, stands for "Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor", and is used as a guide in the treatment and prognosis of certain types of tumors.

Is that all the lab report said, just EGFR?

Old 02-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
JJ,

From what I have been able to find out, EGFR can mean a couple of different types of tests. Yes, one of them is for kidney function, called "Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate."

The other test, also known as EGFR, stands for "Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor", and is used as a guide in the treatment and prognosis of certain types of tumors.

Is that all the lab report said, just EGFR?
Yes, I saw the same thing, that is what is confusing the heck out of me. Under Urine test it says miCROAL,SPOT-UR 4.1 mg/g Range 0-29, which I guess is good. Creatine is 1.1 mg/dl Range 0.5-1.5, then under it says eGFR, only the e is lower case. That is where it says 70.8 mL/min and under it says formula was developed for impaired renal function and should be used with caustion when eGFR is >60 mL/min. The urea Nitrogen 26 H range7-25. Under all that the numbers are fine.

This is all I could find for now on a web search:

EGFR can detect most types of kidney disease in their earliest changes. A normal EGFR means that kidney disease is unlikely. A low EGFR suggests that some kidney damage has occurred. GFR results are usually evaluated in the same way. Sometimes, in very early kidney damage (especially when the kidneys are damaged by diabetes), EGFR and GFR may actually be high, indicating that the kidneys are working harder than normal.

The American Kidney Foundation has suggested that all persons “know their GFR number.” They recommend interpreting GFR (usually by EGFR) based on the following table:

Kidney Damage Stage
Description
GFR
Other findings

Kidney damage with normal or high GFR
90+
Protein or albumin in urine are high, cells or casts seen in urine

Mild decrease in GFR
60-89

Moderate decrease in GFR
30-59

Severe decrease in GFR
15-29

Kidney failure
< 15

Oh well, I will definitely be asking the dr. some questions next week, and get this off my mind as best as possible. Right now it is hard to answer questions, as I'm not totally sure what all this stuff really means, plus I hate to be sneaky, but am trying to get some answers while hubby isn't around, as I don't want him to know I am upset. He is not one for searching around the web, and I know he has no idea what this all means either, so for now, like they say, the less he knows, the better.

Thanx again for your reply and I will get back to U later........

Old 02-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
JJ,

Take solace in the .46 PSA. Very few men ever have prostate cancer with an antibody count that low.

Has he ever tried niacin to up that miserable HDL...32 is terrible for anyone with heart disease.

He needs somebody expert in diabetes to get those triglycerides in hand. I'm not expert in the diabetes-triglycerides connection but it is real.
Are there ANY antilipidemic agents he can take?

But at least that PSA is a very nice number to hang one's hat on!
I'm trying VERY hard to Lenin, but these numbers really stink as U can see. Yes, he has been on Niacin and just about everything U can name, and he broke out terrible with the Niaspan, got nasty side effects from statins, plus they did nothing for his Trigs, so the cardio guy has just had him doing the diet and exercise routine. Up till now, except for high Trigs. all other numbers were fine. I'm going to try and see later exactly what meds. he is on, as I know his reg. dr. switched some and upped some, so maybe a whole new switch is in order. Trust me, his cardio guy will get on top of this as soon as he is back next week, and yes, the reg. dr. has been dragging about getting him a urologist appt, that is why the cardio guy called her before he left on vacation, he wanted an appt. ASAP. Hopefully this will all turn out just fine, and I can give a much better report next week.

Than again for the reply, all is appreciated......

Old 02-26-2006, 09:36 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finres
I know that my mother was on another beta blocker before and her trigs. went way up. We thought maybe too many sweets and such. However found an article in medical publication that said some beta bloackers raise trigs. and blood sugar. It also said that coreg would not do this. After we had the doctor switch her to coreg (which is worse than negotiating a contract with a third world country) her blood sugar and trigs went back to narmal, took less than 2 weeks. Also thought you might need to check him for magnesium... Has to be an intracellular test. Low magnesium can cause or aggrevate diabetes. ALso beta blockers deplete Coq10 and if i remember correctly some magnesium. ALso remember that some beta blockers can raise the psa scores. Mother is on 6.25 mg of coreg 2x day. started at 3.125 2x day. This is still really a low dose, but brought it down from the 160's to the 119-130 range. I will see a kidney doctor at the gym tomorrow, and will ask him about the kidney issue.
Well his Trigs have always been out of wack, but it seems since he went on the Atenolol they have gotten worse, and I did not know his reg. dr. upped them to 100, that is the max! When we see the cardio guy I am going to ask alot of questions, as I am not a dr. so alot of these numbers mean nothing to me so I have to do web searches and ask questions. I appreciate the fact U will see a dr. tomorrow and ask, it might just calm me down. As I said to the rest of the folks, next week I have a list of things to ask the dr., I want to get to the root of why his numbers are all out of wack, and he has been saying he just doesn't feel so hot. My husband is not a complainer, so if he says he doesn't feel so hot, there is a reason. It could be nerves from the lousy report he got last month that is keeping the BP up, but I just want to make sure nothing else is going on. Monday we will be married 46 years, and I would like to keep him around awhile longer........

Thanx again for your reply, and will TTYL....

Old 02-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules
JJ,

I'm sorry to hear about hubby's higher BP and the nodule that they found. Definitely get him to the urologist quickly to have the prostate examined more closely...

As far as a1C is concerned, I did some searching and it is a type of measure of blood glucose, and should not be greater than 7 - so hubby's A1C number appears OK - higher than before, but still OK.

The eGFR is a measure of how well the kidneys are functioning. From what I read, values UNDER 60 are of concern. The charts I saw indicated that 90+ indicate normal kidney function, and 60-80 indicate mildly reduced kidney function - where observation (going back and having the number recheched periodically) and maintaining BP are the suggested actions. So don't get too worried over either of these 2 numbers - I think hubby is OK or borderline-OK on both...

I pray the nodule turns out be nothing - and they usually do, but I'm sure it is what is causing most of the anxiety for you and Hubby. Getting to the doctor asap and having a definite diagnosis will tell you what the true situation is..and aleviate the 'not knowing'. It's the waiting and not knowing that is the worst... Until then, try not to get too upset... you can get sick from too much worry... REmember that his PSA level is very low - which is very good.. so the nodule is probably going to turn out to be nothing. Try to do things that will take your minds off it until you get to see the doctor... rent some comedy dvds...

Just remember that you've both been doing all the right things one could do to help with his health... and try to stay optimistic (easy for me to say, I know)...

TTYL

HubbleRules
Thanx Hubble. See the chart I left for Arizona that I found, it still doesn't make too much sense to me, so guess I will have to wait to see the drs. to ask questions. AS U can expect, both of us are a bit on edge but trying to be VERY optomistic, but as always, a good explanation from his drs. will really calm us down. Like U said, until we get a clear pic. of what is going on, we will just have to deal with things as best as possible. If his cardio guy wasn't in Puerto Rico, trust me, he would be on the phone with us giving us answers, he is like that. This is a new urologist, never met the guy, so have no idea what he is like and can't get to see him till March 23rd. I am a bit upset his reg. dr. didn't get an earlier appt., but that is the VA for ya, although up till this, he has had very quick appts. if needed and been taken good care of. Maybe I am just a lil too upset and expect things to move faster. Oh well, although it is cold here, the snow missed us, so think hubby and I will take a nice ride, it might just do us both some good.

Have a good day, and I will keep ya posted ole Beach Bum buddy....

Old 02-26-2006, 09:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

For Arizona..Hubble..finres.....Did more searching tonight and this is what I found. Checked hubby's lab papers also. This seems more encouraging then what was written on the lab report, but to me, still confusing:

His Creatinine is 1.1 mg/dl range 0.5-1.5 eGFR 70.8 mL/min Age...68 Male Caucation.
Serum Creatinine is the most common kidney test ordered. As recommended by the National Kidney Foundation, reporting the estimated GFR will help identify more people at an early stage of Chronic Kidney Disease.

The estimated GFR will be reported with the Creatinine result. The estimated GFR calculation is automatically corrected for the patient age, sex and race.

Estimated GFR Reference Ranges (ml/min/1.73sqm) are:

< 60: Chronic Kidney Disease

< 15: Kidney Failure

Average GFR Reference By Age:

20-29 yrs: 116

30-39 yrs: 107

40-49 yrs: 99

50-59 yrs: 93

60-69 yrs: 85

70+ yrs: 75

The National Kidney Foundation ([url]www.Kidney.org/professional[/url]) recommends that results greater than 60 ml/min/1.73sqm are reported as > 60. Quantification of estimated GFR below 60 has more clinical implications than above that level.
The way this reads to me is that his number is fine????

Last edited by JJ; 02-26-2006 at 09:36 PM.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:02 AM   #13
(female)

gardeninggal HB User

JJ, so sorry to read that Hubby's report wasn't good. Bless your heart I bet you are more upset then he is, I think we care and worry about our loved ones more then ourselves. When one has to take so much medications it is easy for them to cause more problems it is kind of a chain effect. BP is so touchy and what works for one person makes problems for another. As far as having to see a new doctor sometimes they come into the picture with new fresh ideas and that can be good. My hubby has higher cholesterol then I do and he went off Lipitor also and he is a great guy for doing anything I come up with and even though his total cholesterol had only come down a little his HDL went up to 60 which he never has been able to get it that high. But his trig's are 93 and mine are 149, we both eat the same food and he eats more sweets then I and all the potatoes he can get, and I don't. So go figure... but my glucose is higher then his and my brother just found out he has diabetes so I think diabetes is the culprit. Your husband is fighting a battle on a lot of fronts, it helps him more then you think to know how much you care and all the research you do. I will pray for him, JJ's hubby, God knows who that is. Try not to worry too much till you know just what's what.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:19 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeninggal
JJ, so sorry to read that Hubby's report wasn't good. Bless your heart I bet you are more upset then he is, I think we care and worry about our loved ones more then ourselves. When one has to take so much medications it is easy for them to cause more problems it is kind of a chain effect. BP is so touchy and what works for one person makes problems for another. As far as having to see a new doctor sometimes they come into the picture with new fresh ideas and that can be good. My hubby has higher cholesterol then I do and he went off Lipitor also and he is a great guy for doing anything I come up with and even though his total cholesterol had only come down a little his HDL went up to 60 which he never has been able to get it that high. But his trig's are 93 and mine are 149, we both eat the same food and he eats more sweets then I and all the potatoes he can get, and I don't. So go figure... but my glucose is higher then his and my brother just found out he has diabetes so I think diabetes is the culprit. Your husband is fighting a battle on a lot of fronts, it helps him more then you think to know how much you care and all the research you do. I will pray for him, JJ's hubby, God knows who that is. Try not to worry too much till you know just what's what.
That is so true gardeninggal, sometimes I get more worked up over his problems then my own, guess it is that "mother" instinct. LOL I will be glad when he sees the cardio guy next week, as he will tell us just what everything means, and he always puts hubby's nerves to rest. At this stage I think the unknow is bothering him, and me, more then anything else. Too bad we didn't drink, maybe a good drunk would do us both some good, at least we would have problems, but wouldn't care about them. ROTFL

Just talked to my son in FL. who is in nursing school, and he told me that although some things on the report are high, just to wait and see what the dr. says, as in his point of view, it doesn't seem that urgent. Guess it at least helped me to feel a lil better. Today is our 46th anniversary, so I'd like to at least see another 20.

Yes, it is amazing how some folks can eat and drink just about anything and have no problems, others do everything right and still get them, so I guess it is just a luck of the draw for some of us, and maybe the less we worry, the better off we are. Thanx a bunch for the prayers, it is always appreciated, but I have a feeling now things are just going to work out fine, and I think maybe a change in meds. might be needed. JMHO When he went for bloodwork last week, after he walked out he felt something wet inside his jacket sleeve. Come to find out, it was blood dripping from the spot they took the blood, and he is not on any blood thinners, so I think he is being over medicated, as that has never happened before. Like they say, sometimes too much is worse then too little.

U and hubby have a good one, and will keep ya posted.......

Old 02-27-2006, 03:17 PM   #15
(male)

Rick49 HB User

...The only thing I wanted to add is that I have metabolic syndrome which is very similar to type two diabetes. Both conditions are marked by excess insulin levels called Hyperinsulinemia caused by an overreaction of the pancreas when carbohydrates are eaten. I went on a diet where I eat meals that are low to medium on the glycemic index/ glycemic load. The glycemic index is a measure of how a carb will react in our metabolism based on Glucose being 100. Corn syrup is =100, potatoes=80, table sugar=65, etc.
...As you can see, some of the "good" foods like potatoes and rice can elevate your insulin levels. The glycemic load is the Index of a food by the amount that is eaten. So you can have a whole lot of a low gi food and a little of a high gi food. You'll have to do your own research to get more info.
...After a few months on the GI diet, my triglycerides dropped from 350 to 97 and my blood pressure dropped from 135/85 to 118/75. After being on my high fiber diet, I've seen a further reduction in my triglycerides to 72. It was the fiber also that finnally got my total cholesterol from 225 to 183. (hopefully I'm remembering those numbers right).
...But considering that you know that your husband has a carbohydrate metabolism disorder, then that might be something to consider. It was mainly reducing rice and potatoes that helped me but white breads are pretty high also. I don't eat breads because of a gluten intolerance. It may take some experimenting with different foods to see what he may be reacting too.
...The research was done by having groups eat different carbs and then seeing how their metabolism reacted. The general understanding was that our metabolisms reacted based on the simple or complexity of the carb. The studies found that different carbs triggered different responses independent of whether it was a simple or complex carb. Since your hubby has diabetes and if he has a glucometer already, he might be able to see how his blood sugar reacts to different carbs when he eats. I don't know if that would work, but if he's already checking his blood sugar, it wouldn't hurt to see if different carbs were spiking his blood sugar/insulin.
..Hope this helps
Rick

Closed Thread