It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2006, 11:21 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Spin444 HB User
Weaning off statins

Does anyone know if it's necessary to wean off statins, Zocor, in particular. My sister in law, who can barely walk because she has so much pain in her legs and back, is thinking of FINALLY getting off Zocor and I wonder if she can just quit taking it. She's had symptoms of severe myopathy for over a year now. I wonder if there's a chance that she can heal. She didn't believe me when I told her about myopathy, which is why she stayed on the drug for so long. Funny, drug companies have us all so scared about cholesterol, that we'll take anything to control it, even if it means that we'll suffer so needlessly.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Weaning off statins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spin444
Does anyone know if it's necessary to wean off statins, Zocor, in particular. My sister in law, who can barely walk because she has so much pain in her legs and back, is thinking of FINALLY getting off Zocor and I wonder if she can just quit taking it. She's had symptoms of severe myopathy for over a year now. I wonder if there's a chance that she can heal. She didn't believe me when I told her about myopathy, which is why she stayed on the drug for so long. Funny, drug companies have us all so scared about cholesterol, that we'll take anything to control it, even if it means that we'll suffer so needlessly.

No, U don't have to wean off of them. Hubby and I just tossed them in the pail. Only thing U have to remember is, the cholesterol will probably go back up. I know mine did, but after about 4 months it leveled off.

I know many folks here have taken CO Q10 both being on statins and off, it does seem to help with the pains and aches, although it is not an overnite deal. Some folks take months to recover, others longer and then there are some who have it permanently. This is a descision your SIL is going to have to make on her own.

Does she have a history of heart disease, high BP or diabetes, as U have to take all her risk problems into consideration. If she wants, she could lower the dose and see if the pains will go away, and still maybe keep her cholesterol at a decent level. Some folks have even taken their meds. every other day, that is another option.

Best of wishes, and good luck....

Last edited by JJ; 03-23-2006 at 12:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Funny, drug companies have us all so scared about cholesterol, that we'll take anything to control it, even if it means that we'll suffer so needlessly.

Nothing against your sister, but the way I see it it was she who put the pills in her mouth, so any needless suffering is rather self-inflicted.
But I agree ith JJ, she should cut her pills in half, and perhaps reap the great benefits of Statins without side affects she may be feeling. Also keep in mind that HBP, diabetes, and high Cholesterol are a BAD combination. A small sugar spike could trigger a heart attack with all 3 present.

After all, we have 350 individuals now in the Cleveland area with a WHOLE LOT less plaque due to the wonders of Statin drugs like Crestor. This all without someone sawing into their chest cavities.

Last edited by Stumper; 03-23-2006 at 12:42 PM.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

I don't agree at all with Stumper. Get rid of those pills NOW!! THe longer you delay the more risk you have for permanent damage, if it is not already permanent. If she has myopathy the medication should have been stopped immediately. Do what J.J. did and throw them away. Lowering the medication will not help... and you must take CoQ10 while you are taking statins. It is also not true that that a small sugar spike could trigger a sugar spike with all three present. Statins are know to cause blood gluscose to rise.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumper
Nothing against your sister, but the way I see it it was she who put the pills in her mouth, so any needless suffering is rather self-inflicted.
But I agree ith JJ, she should cut her pills in half, and perhaps reap the great benefits of Statins without side affects she may be feeling. Also keep in mind that HBP, diabetes, and high Cholesterol are a BAD combination. A small sugar spike could trigger a heart attack with all 3 present.

After all, we have 350 individuals now in the Cleveland area with a WHOLE LOT less plaque due to the wonders of Statin drugs like Crestor. This all without someone sawing into their chest cavities.

Stumper...U really can't blame the SIL or anyone else that continues with statins even with pains and aches, as when U tell the drs., all they do is tell U it is arthritis or just "getting old". I know my husband complained like crazy, and those were the answers he got. Wasn't until I was put on them and got so ill, we put 2 and 2 together and knew what his problem was also. I DEFINITELY fault the drs. for NOT looking into the real cause of some of these pains and aches.

Yes, as we get older we all get pains and aches, I have them and I'm not on any statin, but when it comes on suddenly and strong after taking a med. it should be investigated by the dr. who is treating you, not be told "Oh don't worry about it, just a touch of arthritis and getting older". I swear, that is their patent answer, only a few drs, actually take the time and effort to get to the root of these pains, aches and a few other side effects some folks have. God forbid U go past your 15 minutes visit and some of these drs. can't fit in another patient for the ALMIGHTY dollar. JMHO

Old 03-23-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Stumper...U really can't blame the SIL or anyone else that continues with statins even with pains and aches, as when U tell the drs., all they do is tell U it is arthritis or just "getting old". I know my husband complained like crazy, and those were the answers he got. Wasn't until I was put on them and got so ill, we put 2 and 2 together and knew what his problem was also. I DEFINITELY fault the drs. for NOT looking into the real cause of some of these pains and aches.

Yes, as we get older we all get pains and aches, I have them and I'm not on any statin, but when it comes on suddenly and strong after taking a med. it should be investigated by the dr. who is treating you, not be told "Oh don't worry about it, just a touch of arthritis and getting older". I swear, that is their patent answer, only a few drs, actually take the time and effort to get to the root of these pains, aches and a few other side effects some folks have. God forbid U go past your 15 minutes visit and some of these drs. can't fit in another patient for the ALMIGHTY dollar. JMHO

JJ,

I would agree with you if this is what they docs told her. But I am not really sure if they did.
More importantly, it is very important to probably know more about this SIL. IF she has diabetes or is insulin resistant, and has HBP, along with high cholesterol going off a Statin and a sudden glucose spike could trigger a heart attack as Stated in a book called "Syndrome X: Overcoming the Silent Killer That Can Give You a Heart Attack"by Gerald Reaven.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by finres
I don't agree at all with Stumper. Get rid of those pills NOW!! THe longer you delay the more risk you have for permanent damage, if it is not already permanent. If she has myopathy the medication should have been stopped immediately. Do what J.J. did and throw them away. Lowering the medication will not help... and you must take CoQ10 while you are taking statins. It is also not true that that a small sugar spike could trigger a sugar spike with all three present. Statins are know to cause blood gluscose to rise.

I would suggest a reduction to see if she does better. Depending on the heighth of her cholesterol we would not want to trigger an unecessary heart attack. That would be counterproductive.
It actually COULD come down to a 'saw' or a 'pill'. I would choose the pill.

Statins cause Blood glucose to rise?? Heh heh...That's a new one. Where did you hear THAT from ? deleted Actually they can help control glucose and diabetes by helping keep Triglycerides down.
deleted

Last edited by Administrator; 03-23-2006 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Do not post derogatory comments toward other members.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

I asked the pharmacist about the statin my mom just started, (zorcor) if it woud interact with her bp med or diabetes med and he said no. He advised my mom to take the zorcor every other day. She cuts it in half and take it every day. She has had no problems so far.

My mom's bp med is causing her glucose and cholesterol to elevate. Her dr. upped the insulin and prescribed zorcor for the cholesterol. He won't change the bp med bcuz she has tried so many and this is the only combo that works for her w/o too many side effects.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:55 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
Statins cause Blood glucose to rise?? Heh heh...That's a new one. Where did you hear THAT from ? Romper Room? Actually they can help control glucose and diabetes by helping keep Triglycerides down.
Geez,,,What one won't say to promote a supplement agenda

Stumper, there actually is some truth to this. I remember reading about this a few years ago. I believe it involved Lipitor and its adverse effects on blood sugar levels in some diabetics. No, this is not nonsense. It was in the news.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
JJ,

I would agree with you if this is what they docs told her. But I am not really sure if they did.
More importantly, it is very important to probably know more about this SIL. IF she has diabetes or is insulin resistant, and has HBP, along with high cholesterol going off a Statin and a sudden glucose spike could trigger a heart attack as Stated in a book called "Syndrome X: Overcoming the Silent Killer That Can Give You a Heart Attack"by Gerald Reaven.
Well if she was told she has this muscular problem, which sounds to me like they might have told her, as it was mentioned by name, I'd toss the suckers.

Hubby had diabetes, high BP and extremely high Trigs., yet he dumped them and had no problem, so I would have to definitely have to hear it from a dr. not to stop if U have thes problems. It may be possible, but to be honest, that is the first I have heard of it, but I never said I was up on everything, and I surely am not a dr.

As far as statins being able to raise glucose, yes, my dr. told me that, as did hubby's cardio man, so that I do believe to be true. I also know it is possible for them to raise your BP. Mine was always 110-115 over 70-80 tops all my life. Even when I went for a Sygmoidoscopy I was scared half to death, so my BP went to 130/74 and the dr. said.."Geez, U sure are a wreck today, your BP is high". Naturally it went right back down after the procedure was over, but after 3 months of statins, I went to the dr. and had 160/95. He was sure his meter went nuts, and tried 3 others, yet they all read high. After watching it for 3 months, he had to put me on a BP pill, and like he said, I was the last person he would have expected to have to take them. Everyone is different, so what might work VERY well for many folks, really messes up plenty more, and I know that from personal experience.

BTW..Hubby never had diabetes till he started taking Lipitor. Before any statins, the only problem he had was borderline high BP.

Last edited by JJ; 03-23-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:08 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
Stumper, there actually is some truth to this. I remember reading about this a few years ago. I believe it involved Lipitor and its adverse effects on blood sugar levels in some diabetics. No, this is not nonsense. It was in the news.

Arizona,

It may have been in the news but it is not documented nor in any clinical studies that I know of.
For that matter they are now finding out that ALL diabetics OUGHT to be on Statins. I have never noticed any rise in mine, nor anyone, not one, person I know that takes them. Now BP meds...THAT could be another story. Some nonselective Beta blockers and diuretics can raise glucose a little.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:37 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Arizona,

It may have been in the news but it is not documented nor in any clinical studies that I know of.
For that matter they are now finding out that ALL diabetics OUGHT to be on Statins. I have never noticed any rise in mine, nor anyone, not one, person I know that takes them. Now BP meds...THAT could be another story. Some nonselective Beta blockers and diuretics can raise glucose a little.
That is another thing drs. don't seem to agree on, these BB's raising glucose. My new dr. thinks they are the best things on the market, yet when they had me on them I noticed a rise in glucose and have noticed one in hubby since they upped his. I have looked it up and came across many, many sites that list it as a glucose riser. As soon as hubby is squared away with this recent bout of his, we are having a nice long chat with the dr. about them, as even the dr. in the hospital said YES, they can, but for now, he has too much going on to mess with any med. changes. God, we have to do all the research and they get the big bucks, hmmmm, don't make sense to me.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
It was Lipitor. The people at the statin study told me where to find it. I will look though my files, and give directions of how to find it. That is why the people at the statin study find it disturbing that all of a sudden they think that all diabetics should be on cholesterol lowering medicines. Also recent reports have shown that seriously ill diabetics have had many more strokes while taking statins.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:19 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

The place to look for the glycemic control...look up "marc sabatine high dose atorvastatin associated with worsening glycemic control"....also something else of interest..."brain researchers discover bright side of cholesterol molecule'

Old 04-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
BTW..Hubby never had diabetes till he started taking Lipitor. Before any statins, the only problem he had was borderline high BP.

JJ,

Sooner or later if we live long enough I am reasonably confident one of these will probably get us. Diabetes, HBP, heart disease or worse yet, cancer. Hopefully it's not the latter.
I have seen and heard of many things blamed upon pills or some other such nonsense and the only thing that is never or hardly ever blamed is age or the persons genetic predisposition to some such disease.
I knew a man once who was completewly bald and blamed a med he took in his past somewhere. But...was his grandpa bald? Or his uncles? Or his Dad? These things are never brought up and yet some insist that a pill is always to blame, but never with any proof because it is not provable.

Chances are your husband was Predisposed genetically to be diabetic with or without the Lipitor. It was written in his genetic code.
I have read a few cases on this forum where many would have blamed their diabetes or HBP on Lipitor IF they had tried the lipitor first !

Closed Thread