It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2006, 07:25 AM   #1
(female)

gardeninggal HB User
Colon polyp's and statins?

I am wondering if anyone else has heard of this.....I am in my late sixties and so is my cousin and both of us have had polyps removed but only since we had been on statins. Before statins no polyp's. My cousin is still on Lipitor and she had polyp's removed two years ago and at her last exam this March she had two more and one was the kind that turns cancerous and they removed the polyp and 6 inches of colon just to be sure. I am concerned for her because she is till on Lipitor and I am worried that her cholesterol being low may encourage the onset of cancerous polyp's.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User
Re: Colon polyp's and statins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeninggal
I am wondering if anyone else has heard of this.....I am in my late sixties and so is my cousin and both of us have had polyps removed but only since we had been on statins. Before statins no polyp's. My cousin is still on Lipitor and she had polyp's removed two years ago and at her last exam this March she had two more and one was the kind that turns cancerous and they removed the polyp and 6 inches of colon just to be sure. I am concerned for her because she is till on Lipitor and I am worried that her cholesterol being low may encourage the onset of cancerous polyp's.
Its possible statins all lower the immune system. Also before any surgery you should go off of statins. THis also includes vitorin and zetia.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2006, 05:31 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Doubt it.

I know two people personally on Statins, one in his 50's and my Dad in his 80's who both take Lipitor. They both just had colonoscopy (?) and were clean as a whistle. The 54 year old said they told him not to come back for 8 years !

People do get polyps all the time not being on Statins. It just happens. Its kind of like being a mature teenager having polyps as opposed to pimples.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-13-2006 at 07:42 AM. Reason: There is no need to be sarcastic.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:09 AM   #4
(female)

Cin4676 HB User

I have read that recent research shows that cholesterol has an important role for the brain synapses as well as in the immune system, including protecting against cancer. This would indicate to me that it is possible.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin4676
I have read that recent research shows that cholesterol has an important role for the brain synapses as well as in the immune system, including protecting against cancer. This would indicate to me that it is possible.
That is what i have found also. In fact the brain is made of 60% cholesterol. My mother's particular condition is classified as neurodegenerative disorder of unknow origin. She has had everthing test they could think of at Washington University in st. louis, and Mayo in MN. The only indication of some of her tests is that while her muscles are getting the signals, the signal seems to be a bit delayed or slow. This would indicate the her synapse are not firing properly. She has another appointment in st. louis in early May, and they are going to be doing a muscle biopsy to see if her mitochondria have been damaged by lipid lowering thearpy. This would explain her bypass surgery in early January. Also on the cancer The subcommittee of the FDA tasked with review of the statins back in 1995 voted 9 to 3 against approval of statins due to the carcinogenicity, but the vote was considered advisory and the FDA ignored the recommendation of it's own subcommittee and approved statins anyway. This information was exposed to the American Medical Association, as published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, (January 1996).......Mother is now suffering from cognitive decline, and it might be too late.

Last edited by NHone; 04-13-2006 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by finres
Also on the cancer The subcommittee of the FDA tasked with review of the statins back in 1995 voted 9 to 3 against approval of statins due to the carcinogenicity, but the vote was considered advisory and the FDA ignored the recommendation of it's own subcommittee and approved statins anyway. This information was exposed to the American Medical Association, as published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, (January 1996).
Yep, I heard pretty much the same thing. Incredible, isn't it? And this is the agency that is supposed to be our watchdog, funded by taxpayers' dollars. Just who's interest do they have in mind, anyway? I am convinced that the FDA is riddled with corruption, and that its primary objective is to serve big pharma, not the public. They are about as worthless and hopeless as the United Nations.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

My Basic Nutrition professor (she's a Rd) said that cholesterol is important in the diet. it is important bcuz it is a sex hormone, brain hormone and everything else. She advised to eat more omega 3s, use fruits and veggies more, and to lower consumption
of refined foods.

I will be watching my mom's doctor and her cholesterol very closely. If you lower your cholesterol too low that is bad as well as too high. My mom had a colonscopy last April and she had no polys this time, she was not taking statins. However in yrs past she had seven polyps removed when she took lipitor.

Sad to say, I trust my professor more that the doctors.

Last edited by lane413; 04-14-2006 at 02:38 PM. Reason: add info

Old 04-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
(female)

gardeninggal HB User

Lane413, this has been my concern that these polyps have only come on since I was on a statin and for over 64 years of my life I had none, and this was the same for my cousin who also has been on a statin and still is. I guess I wondered because when I had to get off statins it was because of it causing bleeding in the colon & causing black stools. For some reason it seems to hit people differently, I know that when I stopped taking statins my bladder infections stopped and also all yeast infections and I am wondering if when I have my next colonoscopy if there will be any new polyps.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:47 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

gardeninggal,

How many polyp-free colonoscopies had you had before age 64?

Last edited by Lenin; 04-15-2006 at 06:47 AM.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

Had colon polyps long before I started taking Lipitor, have had colon polyps since taking Lipitor. My main precaution is to have a colonoscopy about every three years. I certainly haven't drawn any conclusion that Lipitor was responsible for polyps before or after.

Old 04-15-2006, 05:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

My mom gets colonscopys regularly bcuz her granddad (my great ganddad) died from colon cancer. My grandmom took zocor and also had polyps, I don't know if it is related, but it sure is interesting to know. I read an article that siad asprin could stop colon polyps from growing,

I know my mom wont take asprin. She had a clean coonscopy this yr and it wa the first time.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:51 PM   #12
(female)

gardeninggal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
gardeninggal,

How many polyp-free colonoscopies had you had before age 64?
Lenin, I had no polyps before I went on Lipitor, I had a test before and another test about 2 years after starting Lipitor and had two polyps then and had another test 2 1/2 years later when on Lovastatin and had two more polyps, only this time one was larger then any of the others. I plan on having another test in about a year and hope that now that I am off statins for one year I won't have any new ones, time will tell.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Well, we now know one thing for sure: Statins certainly won't prevent polyps, although I suspect that the makers of these drugs may someday make such a claim in order to increase profits.

By the way Gardeninggal, how are you doing with the garlic supplement?

Old 04-17-2006, 06:13 AM   #14
(female)

gardeninggal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
Well, we now know one thing for sure: Statins certainly won't prevent polyps, although I suspect that the makers of these drugs may someday make such a claim in order to increase profits.

By the way Gardeninggal, how are you doing with the garlic supplement?
Hi Arizona, I did buy the same garlic supplement that you are taking and I did not tell my hubby that I bought it. I have taken it for several weeks now and I don't think he has a clue and has never said a thing about garlic odor. I am going to take the whole bottle then I will tell him and perhaps he will take them too. I read so many good things about garlic and I could only hope to have the good results that you got.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:52 AM   #15
(female)

gardeninggal HB User

Just a quick note about colon polyps.....I just got back from the mailbox (a nice long walk) and my Mayo Clinic Health Letter had come and on the back page it said this "Interestingly, recent studies have also linked high dietary intake of magnesium with reduced occurrence of colon cancer in women". Since polyps lead to cancer I can only guess that magnesium helps reduce the occurrence of polyps.

Closed Thread