It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
(male)

sosome HB User
Will avocado saturated fat raise blood cholesterol?

1 Florida Avocado has 5.4g Saturated fat*

*Study from Australia demonstrated how eating half to one-and-a-half avocados a day for three weeks could lower your total cholesterol by more than eight percent without lowering your HDL cholesterol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
(male)

Rick49 HB User
Re: Will avocado saturated fat raise blood cholesterol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosome
1 Florida Avocado has 5.4g Saturated fat*

*Study from Australia demonstrated how eating half to one-and-a-half avocados a day for three weeks could lower your total cholesterol by more than eight percent without lowering your HDL cholesterol.
...It also has a high fiber content. Most of the foods that I have looked at that claim to lower cholesterol are very high in fiber. Since fiber has helped me, then I would say there's a good chance that avacados would help also.
Rick

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User

Avocado is not saturated fat but mainly mono-unsaturated fat - the overall fat content is very similar to olive oil. Of course there is no cholesterol as this is only in meat and dairy products, but it is also made by the body.

The Australian studies you refer to were about 15 years ago and would not pass today's tests for absence of bias and controls. They were only over a 3 week period which is far too short, and as I recall the funding was by the nut company.
This does not mean the conclusions are wrong, it's just that the work needs to be repeated.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

sosome,

Almost all the oil of the oil is oleic acid (monosatureated) as Beffsteak said.

Replacing another oil or fat with avocado is a food idea. Merely ADDING it to your current fat intake, thus increasing total fat it is a poor one.

Since avocado's calories are 82% fat, one must be careful in consuming them. It has among the highest fat content of any food.

Last edited by Lenin; 04-21-2006 at 08:22 AM.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Zagreus HB User

But cholesterol is an animal fat. No vegetables contain cholesterol. In that sense, they are a good alternative to foods that contain animal fats. But yes, you need to monitor total fat intake nevertheless.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
(male)

Rick49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagreus
But cholesterol is an animal fat. No vegetables contain cholesterol. In that sense, they are a good alternative to foods that contain animal fats. But yes, you need to monitor total fat intake nevertheless.
From my understanding ,fat is what causes the gall bladder to dump it's contents of Bile. It then becomes imperitive that fiber to be present to carry the bile(cholesterol) out of our system. As far as I know, most of the foods that contain animal fat do not have any fiber and most of the non-animla sourses of fat are high in fiber, a****ados, nuts, etc.
Rick

Old 04-24-2006, 03:30 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

SOAPFLAKE HB User

The body has good fats and bad fats in its blood. The bad fats we need to keep under control are saturated fats, and transfats, like animal products as others are saying.

The good fats are olive oil, advocados, oily fish, oil from nuts etc etc. These fats are needed by the body as opposed to the bad fats where I think we need only a little in moderation.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefsteak
Avocado is not saturated fat but mainly mono-unsaturated fat - the overall fat content is very similar to olive oil. Of course there is no cholesterol as this is only in meat and dairy products, but it is also made by the body.

The Australian studies you refer to were about 15 years ago and would not pass today's tests for absence of bias and controls. They were only over a 3 week period which is far too short, and as I recall the funding was by the nut company.
This does not mean the conclusions are wrong, it's just that the work needs to be repeated.
Avocado does have saturated fat as well as olive oil.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
(male)

scott smith HB User

Foods from plant sources have negligible amounts of saturated fat and ALL are free of dietary cholesterol.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

According the "Nutritive Value of Foods," Home and Garden Bulletin 72 published by the USDA, 1 ounce of California avocado (about 1/5 whole) contains 0.7 grams saturated fat and 1 ounce Florida avocado (about 1/10 whole) contains 0.5 grams saturated fat. So a whole avocado would be about 3.5 to 5 grams saturated fat. (How likely is it that you'd eat just 1/5 to 1/10 an avocado? Not me!) At any rate, I don't consider 3.5 to 5 grams saturated fat to be a negligible amount. Most other plant sources, of course, contain much less sfa or none.

Closed Thread