It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
(female)

l_reyna_1 HB User
Are Cholesterol Meds For Life????

Hi...i Was Just Wondering If Anyone Could Help Me W/this Question....once Someone Is Diagnosed W/high Cholesterol That Means Medication Will Be Req For Years And Years????? I Would Ask My Dr But Have The Appt In 3 Wks From Now...thing Is I've Been Reading Some Threads And It Seems People Have Been On High Chol Meds Forever ....i'm 33 And Would Like To Get Rid Of Them Asap...my Ldl Was 123 ...sorry Don't Know What The Other Numbers Are ....is It Possible I Get Off The Meds Within A Year???????..

Old 06-24-2006, 11:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User
Re: Are Cholesterol Meds For Life????

No they are not for life...and also they do not extend life. Cholesterol numbers are just that...they are numbers. If you stop taking the meds now..most likely you will have a spike in cholesterol. It will go back down.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-25-2006 at 01:59 PM. Reason: If you are the first person to reply to a post, please do not quote the post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2006, 05:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Unfortunately, in the majority of cases, once a patient is put on these drugs, they are on them indefinitely. Very, very few doctors will work with their patients in an attempt to wean them off these drugs. The people who discontinue taking statins generally do so either because they can't tolerate them, or else they just made up their minds that they just don't want to take them anymore. Drug companies just LOVE lifelong maintenance drugs. They are enormously profitable, much more profitable than a cure or any cheaper, safer alternative. Diabetes, blood pressure, and cholesterol drugs are real blockbuster bonanzas for drug companies.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

reyna,

There are ways to gett your cholesterol to healthy levels without drugs but they take a LOT of work.
It will be a multifactorial appproach with a steep learning curve but it's doable.

For a dietary start, I recommend one of Dean Ornish's books on Reversing Heart Disease.

Since you are young and without heart disease, you can readily get your LDL's below 100 by curbing your animal fats, eliminating trans fats and fried foods and seriously resticting your meat and dairy consumption and cutting out sugary overdoses.
Get LOTS of exercise. Make sure your weight is below normal for your size and age.

As you improve your lifestyle take less and less of the drug and, if you are diligent, toss them away eventually. The more work you put into your plan, the more likely you are to succeed.

Of course, the EASIEST way is to take the drugs and that's why so many millions go that route and the easy way takes a lifetime of drugs .
So the choice is yours to make.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-25-2006 at 06:32 AM.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:40 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Fathersson HB User

I think it will completely depend on what caused your high lipid numbers in the first place. Off the top of my head, I can think of numerous reasons why someone has higher then normal lipid levels:

Hypothyroidism
Progestin or anabolic steroid use
Chronic renal failure
Diabetes
Antihypertensive medications
Obesity
Sedentary lifestyle
Alcoholism
Genetics

Some of these are reversible, some are not. If you are overweight or sedentary (or both), you may need medications to get your numbers down. However, if you also drop the excess weight and get into a regular exercise program, then it may be possible to get off the medications and keep your numbers down purely with diet and life style changes.

However, if you have liver dysfunction or some other permanent (eg. genetic) basis for the high lipid levels, then it is unlikely you will be able to control your lipids without some medications. I know, from repeated lipid profiles, that even with my low-carb, low-fat diet, and daily exercise regimen, my triglycerides and LDL start to shoot up within a few days of stopping my medications (they'll increase by 30-40% in less then 6 days of stopping meds). So I am going to be on some combination of meds for the rest of my life - currently tricor and crestor, but I'll be watching some of the new drugs (mostly the CEPT inhibitors) closely as they become available in the next 4 or 5 years.

Last edited by Fathersson; 06-25-2006 at 06:49 AM.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:28 AM   #6
(female)

l_reyna_1 HB User

thanx for the info guys...i am duper-duper overweight(83)pds .....probably a little less now .....i started excercising and walking 30 min per day and quit smoking and changed my diet for good. no more fried food or chips ..so hopefully i will be able to dump the pills .....maybe not tommorrow ..but when i reach my weight goal...again thanx

Old 06-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User

l_reyna_1,

Good for you - keep up your exercise and smoking cessation!!!

Don't expect quick drops in weight - keep to a sound diet and try to strictly reduce sweets, saturated fats, and most processed foods. Fad diets almost always fail in the long run.

Try to lower your intake of carbs - especially anything 'white' (white bread, white potatoes, white rice, white pasta, white sugar...). Low carb/moderate protein/moderate fat usually helps one lose weight at a measured pace. Also, eat green veggies whenever possible.

If you drop most of the excess weight - your triglycerides and ldl should both drop.

However, if you have a genetically induced high-cholesterol, diet and exercise may only get you part-way to your cholesterol goals - you may still need meds - but you won't know this until you drop the weight. Nonetheless, the benefits of exercise, proper weight and proper diet have numerous health benefits above and beyond lowering cholesterol.

HubbleRules

Last edited by moderator2; 06-25-2006 at 01:59 PM. Reason: If you are clearly responding to the last poster, quoting the post is not needed.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #8
(female)

l_reyna_1 HB User

thanx hubblerules........i guess i will find out once i loose the weight...might take me a year ..but i'll come back and let u guys know

Old 06-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Mr. Detail HB User

Lenin:

Since you are young and without heart disease, you can readily get your LDL's below 100 by curbing your animal fats, eliminating trans fats and fried foods and seriously resticting your meat and dairy consumption and cutting out sugary overdoses.
Get LOTS of exercise. Make sure your weight is below normal for your size and age.

What actually contsitutes having heart disease? Is it a slow progression towards an actual heart attack or does it begin with slightly elevated cholesterol levels. I am a healthy 50 yr. old male with really non of the risk factors other than genes and my LDL was recently clocked in at 123.

Closed Thread