It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User
Colest-off..has anyone tried this product?

Has anyone tried cholestoff and if so, what was the best results you received from it. On the box it states 24% reduction in ldl. My mom has tried all the statins and she is very sensitive to them. She can tolerate zocor, but it interacts with her bp med, verapamil.

Can anyone share his/her results and experiences with this product?

Is it safe to use with other meds?

I appreciate any info. shared and thank U.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2006, 06:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Colest-off..has anyone tried this product?

Not quite Lane,
What the box says is is "Up to a 24% reduction." THis is based on 6 clinical studies where the result range was a reduction of from 3.7% to 24.4%.
That "up to" is always ripoff advertising.
Like "lose UP TO 100 pounds in 6 months"...yeah, 1 person in 1000?
Probabaly a 10% reduction in LDL might be reasonably expected.

In any case, cholestoff is a good, reasonably priced way to get plant sterols which bind with cholesterol in the gut and prevent it's absorption. This is the stuff in Benecol margerine and the "Heart Healthy" orange juice blends. I think the pills are the cheaper way to get the sterols.

Anyone dead set against statins should give these a try because any LDL reduction is beneficial. And it should be combined with high fiber and low saturated fat intake. High levels of cardiac exercise is a big plus for those that can take it.

One needs at least 2 grams/day of the sterols/stanols for any expectation of results. THe higher the dose, the better the results. A Purdue study got an average 11% reduction using 3.4 grams/day.

p.s. Plant sterols seem to work better for diabetics.

Here's a two year old thread you might find interesting:
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=192970[/url]

Last edited by Lenin; 08-05-2006 at 06:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2006, 02:55 AM   #3
(male)

pohaku HB User

not very effective on me. My numbers stay about the same the time I tried.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Not quite Lane,
What the box says is is "Up to a 24% reduction." THis is based on 6 clinical studies where the result range was a reduction of from 3.7% to 24.4%.
That "up to" is always ripoff advertising.
Like "lose UP TO 100 pounds in 6 months"...yeah, 1 person in 1000?
Probabaly a 10% reduction in LDL might be reasonably expected.

In any case, cholestoff is a good, reasonably priced way to get plant sterols which bind with cholesterol in the gut and prevent it's absorption. This is the stuff in Benecol margerine and the "Heart Healthy" orange juice blends. I think the pills are the cheaper way to get the sterols.

Anyone dead set against statins should give these a try because any LDL reduction is beneficial. And it should be combined with high fiber and low saturated fat intake. High levels of cardiac exercise is a big plus for those that can take it.

One needs at least 2 grams/day of the sterols/stanols for any expectation of results. THe higher the dose, the better the results. A Purdue study got an average 11% reduction using 3.4 grams/day.

p.s. Plant sterols seem to work better for diabetics.

Here's a two year old thread you might find interesting:
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=192970[/url]

Thanks, Lenin. If my mom stay on the take control spread and the heart healthy oj along with the cholest-off, do you think she can achieve the 24%? She does exercise by walking three miles daily and she works in the garden every day.

I don't think she's against statins, she took zocor for a month or so, but it doesn't interact well with verapamil. She's waiting to see the new dr. this month and see if he will prescribe something else for her bp.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohaku
not very effective on me. My numbers stay about the same the time I tried.

Sorry it didn't work well for you pohaku. Did you see any reduction in ldl at all? My mom is diabetic and if she doesn't try something to keep her ldl from going back to 187 or higher, it could spell trouble for her. Her hbp med caused her cholesterol problem, but needs the bp med. It's an endless cycle.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane413
Thanks, Lenin. If my mom stay on the take control spread and the heart healthy oj along with the cholest-off, do you think she can achieve the 24%? She does exercise by walking three miles daily and she works in the garden every day.
I don't think she will get that 24% but it's POSSIBLE. It just iss the far end of the curve. Just like with training SOME people can run a 4 minute mile...but not many.

Closed Thread