It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User
south beach diet and cholesterol question.....

Is the south beach diet safe for ppl with high cholesterol or diabetes? My mom just started the south beach diet and her fat intake has increased dramatically. Granted it is the good fats, but she used to keep her fat intake under 15%. That is how she cured her heart disease by cutting fats out of her diet.

She had stopped eating eggs, ground beef and such now she eats them every day. She is losing weight (after six days on diet) but I am concerned about her.

Has anybody on this board tried the south beach diet and didn't get a high cholesterol reading?

Old 08-16-2006, 04:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: south beach diet and cholesterol question.....

Lane,

As with all these fad diets, there are many variants of each. SB tries to get the Atkins people who are frightened of all the animal fat in the diet so it bends away from animal fats and then tosses in the glycemic index to differentiate betweeen good carbs and bad carbs.

Bottom line:
A low carb diet is good for diabetes and a low fat diet is good for proper blood lipids.
Look at her diet and calculate the amount of her calories coming from animal fats. If it is anywhere above 50% she is harming her heart and if she is eating eggs and hamburger every day, she is probably WELL over that 50% and into the 70% range...I guess she is among those who are tossing awway the burger bun? Or has that idiocy stopped for low carbers?

What has her doctor said about her dieting?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Lane,

As with all these fad diets, there are many variants of each. SB tries to get the Atkins people who are frightened of all the animal fat in the diet so it bends away from animal fats and then tosses in the glycemic index to differentiate betweeen good carbs and bad carbs.

Bottom line:
A low carb diet is good for diabetes and a low fat diet is good for proper blood lipids.
Look at her diet and calculate the amount of her calories coming from animal fats. If it is anywhere above 50% she is harming her heart and if she is eating eggs and hamburger every day, she is probably WELL over that 50% and into the 70% range...I guess she is among those who are tossing awway the burger bun? Or has that idiocy stopped for low carbers?

What has her doctor said about her dieting?

Lenin, thanks for the info. I am glad to know that low carb is the way to go, but like I said too much animal products can't be good for her. My mom keeps a food journal and chart her intake of nutrients and fat intake. She is losing weight.. She got on this stupid diet bcuz her 300 lb friend lost 200 lbs using the south beach diet. My mom only has to lose 30 lbs. She didn't tell the dr. about the diet yet, but her dietician said south beach would benefit her.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
(male)

Dave-K HB User

I had a few questions similar to the South Beach diet such as the Glycemic index. I was wondering if it would have any effect on Cholesterol or Tri levels.

Since quitting smoking I've gained almost 40 pounds and kept it on. It's better than smoking but...

Dave

Old 08-21-2006, 05:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Ohhh Dave,
So sorry to hear about that 40 pounds. I and most of my friends gained and kept the magic, but evil, 15#...FOREVER it seems. Forty pounds is awful.

Low glycemic index carbs (legume starches) are always better than high glycemic carbs (sugar,) especially for people with diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance. They keep you full longer and thus help you eat fewer calories during the day.
But there's no substitute for counting every calorie and keeping them in a certain range.

I think stopping smoking forever resets your metabolism to a lower level and you must forever lower your caloric intake. Sad but true.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:39 AM   #6
(female)

PollyAnn HB User

I've been eating low carb in order to control my diabetes. I'm classified as being 'underweight' so, losing weight is not an issue for me.

After researching every low carb-eating plan I decided none suited me as to where I would be comfortable enough to stick to as a lifestyle plan so, I incorporated a little from each to design my own low carb plan.

I eat low carb, low fat and calorie count. It has worked, as my recent diabetic A1c is 5.0. Sadly, my cholesterol is higher then it's ever been.

Someone mentioned that I may not be getting enough fat in my diet Can you image that (?) with high cholesterol you may not be getting enough fat in your diet? Well, it may be true and it's all a learning lesson. I'm going to give that a try and see if somehow the science of it all works to bring my cholesterol down to within reason. I have read it does work so we’ll see if I'm one it does work for.

I do know of people who have great success with Atkins, South Beach, Schwarzbein, Protein Power, and Paleolithic ect...but not every plan works as well for each. I say the key factor is to try it and if it's one to fit your daily lifestyle then that is a plan that will work for you! And it doesn't matter what anyone else has to say about that particular plan 9including your doctor) - Different Strokes for Different Folks!

PollyAnn

Old 08-21-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

I've read some studies that showed a high fat, low carb diet reduces not only blood sugar, but also cholesterol. I am diabetic and use a low carb diet and do not restrict fats at all, except for trans fats.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBow
I've read some studies that showed a high fat, low carb diet reduces not only blood sugar, but also cholesterol. I am diabetic and use a low carb diet and do not restrict fats at all, except for trans fats.
I have had a similar experience (I am a T1 diabetic). Low-carb is fantastic for blood sugar control. My body must have figured out how to use fat as the main energy source. I started going to the gym again this morning and my blood sugar level hardly moved. When I was on the high-carb diet, my blood sugar after workouts was totally unpredictable, no matter how carefully I tested, and balanced insulin carbs and exercise. It was an impossible tightrope to cross and I kept falling off.

The low-carb way of eating has sorted all that out. I now eat as much saturated fat as possible. The GP was a bit worried about it and suggested that I use a statin because LDL is borderline high at 136mg/dl. But the endocrinologist thinks it is OK because of the high HDL (98mg/dl) and low triglycerides (107mg/dl). High HDL and low triglycerides are both benefits of the high fat/low carb way of eating. So I won't be using a statin.

PollyAnn, the problem with reducing carbs only a bit and making up the deficit calories with fat is that your body continues to rely on carbs as the main energy source. And you continue to be plagued by volatile blood sugars. You really need to go the whole hog to get the benefits of a low carb diet.

The only fat that you need to be avoid is trans fat. The stuff in cookies and processed food are made with. It makes your HDL go down and your LDL go up. Too much polyunsaturated fat isn't good for you either. It becomes oxidised easily in manufacturing and cooking processes, which is carcinogenic. But saturated fat is fine. It contains all those essential fatty acids.

Cheers,

Mark

Old 08-23-2006, 06:44 AM   #9
(female)

PollyAnn HB User

Thanks LauraBow & Mark,

Very interesting concept and one I am going to apply to my diet.

I eat whole mostly organic fresh foods and nothing premade, packaged or processed. I am a seafood (any type fish) lover and lucky enough to be surrounded by fresh caught fish daily (straight off the boat). I sometimes eat fish of some sort 2-3 times a day because it is my first choice. I've never been a sweets/desert type person but my goodie has always been fresh fruit (which now I watch as I am diabetic).

I don't have a weight problem and that maybe from watching my fat content ALL my life (I'm nearing 50 yrs old). I enjoy cooking from scratch with the freshest of ingredients so I go way out of my way to fresh farms and markets.

I love peanut butter and buy fresh nuts and grind them myself so I know what is in it. I love fresh tomato sauce and make a big pot from ALL hand picked ingredients. I then bottle up airtight mason jars of sauce and use it sparingly. I guess you can say I'm a Suzy homemaker type person also.

So, with all this in mind and continuing with my already low carb plan - I will be adding in some fat that I normally would omit. I'll give it a try and see if it does work for me.

Thanks again much appreciated! PollyAnn

Old 09-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
(female)

babesbarn HB User

I started the South Beach Diet a month ago and already lost 13 pounds! The first two weeks I lost 9 pounds and it was confirmed of 11 pounds just last week at the doctors office. The no sugar is great and I feel and look better too. I am trying some of the recipes and right now very very happy with the results.

I take Crestor anyway for my cholesterol so by just being mindful and eating lots of salads with their recommended brands of dressings and spreads and bread I am great.
I really needed to get rid of the sugar addiction and this was a great way!

Old 09-11-2006, 10:18 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

People just won't listen when experts try and tell you that saturated fat is different than the other fats. The body gets rid of it differently. The body does not hold onto it. The body does NOT use it to clog the arteries. As they have found at Duke University...Southbeach and Atkins do indeed reduce cholesterol, trigs , raise HDL etc>... I really don't understand how people can complain and say they are not safe nor effective, when they will pop a bunch of pills (statins) to supposedly do the same thing.

Closed Thread