It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 05:59 AM   #1
(male)

Mikenk HB User
Lipitor and elevated Liver enzymes

I was started on 10mg of Lipitor about 3 months ago to lower my LDL. I just got my new results:

tot: 188
HDL: 70
LDL: 106:
Tri: 58

While these are good, my liver enzymes are slightly elevated: AST: 43; ALT: 75.

My doctor told me to stop the lipitor and come back next week for a retest. Is this a typical bad reaction to Lipitor? I had also been on a two week trip to New Zealand with much more than normal alcohol. Would that have had a possible impact?

Thanks for any comments.
Mike

Old 09-01-2006, 06:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Lipitor and elevated Liver enzymes

Mike,

My lab shows normal ranges of:
AST: 3-50
ALT: 3-60.

So your AST is normal and ALT is just slightly elevated. They usually talk about an aberrant ALT as something like 3 TIMES the upper normal or 180.

Sure a couple weeks of heavy drinking could get your ALT a bit over the top.

Do you have any old blood tests BEFORE the lipitor to see what your baseline ALT and AST were?

I'm surprised your doctor stopped your Lipitor? That retest may tell you nothing because you've got two variables working. A retest WITH the Lipitor, however, might rule out the effect of the booze.

NICE NUMBERS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2006, 06:55 AM   #3
(male)

Mikenk HB User

lenin,

Thanks for the reply.

My Doctor started me on it for a month and then tested. She liked the results then; I assume she baselined the ALT/ASP at that time and it was OK. She then prescribed 3 months which was this test.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
(female)

chj HB User

Hi Mike, I think it more likely to be the cause of a lot of alcohol. You are not really supposed to drink a lot when you are taking statins. When I was on statins, Zocor, I kept myself to a couple of glasse of wine each day, ok well maybe three sometimes, and my ast and alt was kept around 15-18 which I think is o.k. Also a friend of mine who indulges a great deal more, when cutting down on alcohol ,his enzymes went back to normal. So take it easy on the alcohol, and have another blood test. Good Luck.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
(male)

Mikenk HB User

I normally have 2 (more on weekends) glasses of wine per day. I found out in New Zealand, that not only is it a beautiful country, but they like to drink. Even in the manufacturing plant I visited, they would often open the bar in the plant at the end of the workday - and then take me out with unlimited bottles of good wine.

Is there a rule as to how long the effects of short term heavy alcohol intake will affect the ALT/AST numbers? Not sure whether to stay off totally until my next test.

Thanks again,
Mike

Old 09-01-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
(female)

chj HB User

Hello Mike, I think my friend stayed off alcohol for a month, but I don´t know if that is necesarry or not but it certainly would do no harm. What does your doctor advice?

Old 09-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Mike, what were your numbers before? I still am surprised when I see most people post their numbers, and see no Lp(a), fibrogen, or CRP numbers..... I consider these more important than any other cholesterol numbers. I consider HDL and LDL like the number of cars on a highway...as long as traffic is moving ....who cares. What I want is the accident report..the Lp(a), fibrogen, CRP. Besides, its hard to dismiss long term studies that show the people with the highest cholesterol live the longest.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
(male)

Mikenk HB User

NHONE,

Yikes, I have no clue what those other numbers are or have ever been. Are they included in the normal lipid testing? I plan on talking with my doctor next week when I retest and will certainly ask. Can you give me a pointer to info so I can discuss intelligently?

My normal numbers before starting were:
total: 242
HDL: 71
LDL: 158
tri: 67

Old 09-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

They are numbers that show inflammation. You can find them easily on the net. Spectracell in houston does them as well as numerous other places. No, they are not part of the "normal" lipid testing. However, they should be.
by the way...nothing wrong with your numbers before.....(from what is there)...I still believe inflammation is THE factor in heart disease as it is the only constant link. (heart failure is not heart disease). You understand that doctors can lower you temperature if you have pneumonia.....however, they must combat the pneumonia itself if you are ever going to recover.

Closed Thread