It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 03:34 AM   #1
(male)

SidneyM HB User
Question Is Lipitor Good or Bad for you?

About 3 or 4 yrs ago my total cholestrol was 400 and my triglicerydes were 1200. My dr has finally found something to lower my cholestrol. Lipitor(80 mgs) and Tri-Cor(145 mgs). Now my total cholestrol is 147 and trig are 149. I am now off the Tri-Cor hea he has kept me on the Lipitor 80 mgs. I have been having major cramps in my body( legs, feet, hands, etc.), joint pain and excessive gas. I went to the dr about my cramps and joint pains which wakes my up in the middle of the night. He gave me a cortisone shot in my left shoulder. It has helped some but not gone away completely. But I also have another problem. I had a brain aneursym 12 yrs ago, along with a major stroke on my right side. I was told that people with strokes can have joint pain. So is the painful shoulder problems from my lipitor or from my strokes? My joint pains have been bothering me about as long as i have been on Lipitor. Any suggestions?

Old 11-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
Inactive

vipergg22 HB User
Re: Is Lipitor Good or Bad for you?

Sure could be from the lipitor specially taking such a high dose along with the fact that you were also taking tricor along with it which is not recommneded except in extreme , yoru might be considered extreme if tri's were that high but it carries with it a very high risk of problems . The warning against this combo is right in the tricor side effects sheets . I hope your doctor has been doing blood test every 3 months taking that combo of medicine . There has already been one statin pulled from the market due to permanent muscle related problems and some advocacy groups would like to see Crestor pulled. Somewhere along the line you may have to make a decision is this stuff worth the side effects that it may be causing you . One option would be to go off it for for 2-3 months and see if anything improves but only you can make that decision if the muscle and joint pains get that severe , it is your decision. Gas and digestive problems are also a statins side effects , it wreaked havoc on my system when I was taking statins .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2006, 03:35 AM   #3
(male)

SidneyM HB User

Thank you for the information Vipergg22. My dr says to go off Lipitor and see if it helps. My dr says he has seen only 1 case where statins have caused muscle cramps and joint pains and he said it was from Crestor. He never has had any problems with Lipitor he says...Hmmmm???? But I decided to wait until the cortisone shot wears off, then go off of the Lipitor 80 mgs. How long will I need to be off it before I notice a change?

Old 11-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

It could take anywhere from days, to never... It all depends on the kind of damage that you already have. At a minimum, you need to be off of cholesterol lowering medications for 6 months. This is the time it takes for mitochondria to cycle (or renew) themselves. The damage is most likely mitochondrial damage caused by cholesterol lowering, and not a side effect of the medication. Coq10 is important for the mitochondria to function.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

It could take anywhere from days, to never... It all depends on the kind of damage that you already have. At a minimum, you need to be off of cholesterol lowering medications for 6 months. This is the time it takes for mitochondria to cycle (or renew) themselves. The damage is most likely mitochondrial damage caused by cholesterol lowering, and not a side effect of the medication. Coq10 is important for the mitochondria to function.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:54 PM   #6
(male)

oldman21 HB User
Lipitor is only good 4 the drug companies

I can only tell you that I have STOPPED all pharmecuticals. I think they are crooks and I have found alternative treatments for everything. Look around, remember the big drug companies will be getting sued for the problems you have now.

Closed Thread