It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
(male)

jkhh HB User
Vytorin or Zetia-Stomach ache

I've been trying to take Vytorin 10/20 for about a week. I've been rotating just taking Zetia on some nights. I've had stomach cramping with it and it has affected my morning visit to the bathroom . Has anyone had similar experiences? More important, does it go away with time?

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for those who contribute to this board.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Vytorin or Zetia-Stomach ache

Isn't Vytorin a combo of Zocor and Zetia, and why are you taking just Zetia at times? I know a couple of people who said the Zetia upset their stomach and also gave them Diarrhea. I'm just a lil confused as to why U take Vytorin and Zetia. If the Vytorin alone doesn't bother U, maybe U should just take that and not switch back and forth, but I would definitely tell your dr. about it. Not all these cholesterol drugs are handled well by many folks. I've tried just about everything out there and can't, so I just do the best I can with diet and exercise. Dr. isn't happy with me, but it also isn't his body.

Good luck, hope U get some answers and relief. Happy Turkey day to U as well......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2006, 03:16 AM   #3
(male)

jkhh HB User

JJ,

You're exactly right about the vytorin composition. I had a bottle of the zetia and have been alternating it with the vytorin (to avoid the statin as much as possible). I have the same symptoms as your friend described. I didn't take it last night and woke up fine this morning so that I could have a good thanksgiving lunch and dinner .

Like you, I've been trying diet and exercise, Niacin and Fish Oil and my doctor wants my numbers down. My numbers were down with Crestor 5 mg but so was my body and my attitude .

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving .

Old 11-23-2006, 05:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Abdominal cramping and diarrhea or constipation are common with Zetia (ezetimibe.) If it's annoying enough, perhaps it might have to be discontinued.

Does taking it with FOOD make it any more palatable?

Old 11-23-2006, 05:57 AM   #5
(male)

jkhh HB User

Lenin,

Happy Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for all your thoughtful replies .

It's the morning after where I'm having the most stomach problems. Wednesday, I woke up at about 3 am and it was pretty intense. Then, the first couple of bathroom visits are not pleasant. The directions say to take at night but should I consider during the day with food?

Old 11-23-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Lenin is right, I think maybe U should lay off the Zetia and see if things improve. As far as the Crestor, that is very powerful stuff. A friend of mine who has taken statins for a few years, has had lil side effects with anything, yet when she was put on Crestor, she was a mess. Give the straight Vytorin a shot, leave the Zetia be, and see how it goes. If U still have problems, then the Zetia in the Vytorin just may not agree with you, so a change may be in order. Good luck!!!

Keep us posted, and hope U had a great Thanksgiving....

Old 11-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
(male)

edkal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejkh
I've been trying to take Vytorin 10/20 for about a week. I've been rotating just taking Zetia on some nights. I've had stomach cramping with it and it has affected my morning visit to the bathroom . Has anyone had similar experiences? More important, does it go away with time?

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for those who contribute to this board.
I had been taking any and all of the statins at one or another time and it finally caught up to me, and I cannot take any statins any longer. However I have been able to tolerate Zetia. No problems at all, but I do take niacin and red yeast rice and beta Stiosteriol in order to help lower my high numbers.

I have recovered most of my mobility in my legs with the help of Prednisone 2 1/2 mg. The statins have really played a number on me after 20 yrs. plus of taking them. I am so happy to off these drugs. I haven't felt this good in years. Lets hope you have the same.

Closed Thread