It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2006, 07:44 PM   #1
(female)

Vicky-Vicky HB User
Does my husband need Crestor??

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to read as much as possible on this bulletin board, as it seems to be an invaluable source of first-hand information, and have been encouraging my husband to do the same.

The reason is that recently our family doctor decided to put him on Crestor because his good cholesterol is lower than normal, and there are some fats (tryglicerides) in his blood.

Unfortunately, my husband did not write those numbers down when he had an appointment. His good cholesterol is 0.82. My husband does not any heart condition, his EKG is normal. He used to have slightly elevated blood pressure which is normal now. He is otherwise healthy and does not have any bad habits. His parents are in their eighties without serious illnesses as well, except his mom takes some heart medication and has been on Lipitor.

My husband had this situation before, but successfully reached normal cholesterol and trygliceride results a few years ago with the help of diet and exercise. Unfortunately, both of us did not stick to that regime and had more steaks and burgers than we should have had. We did not exercise much either, and both of us spend a lot of time sitting (jobs involve use of computers).

When my husband told the doctor that he wanted to try lowering his numbers through lifestyle changes, his doctor said he would not feel good if he did not prescribe Crestor to him, alleging that my husband was in a risk group, and that he could die. The first thing I did when he came home and brought a Crestor box with him (the doctor provided that for free!), I looked through the medication leaflet and immediately started googling.

I was terrified to see there were so many reports of bad side effects and all kinds of bad things said about statins in general. I immediately informed my husband of my findings, but he appears to be willing to take the drug. I am worried sick because I am afraid he can cause irreparable damage to his body, and frankly I simply don't believe that my husband is high risk for heart attack, given his situation and history.

We also will try to have another baby, and because we already lost a child to a chromosomal disorder, I am afraid that this drug will have tremendous effect on the future baby's health. If it causes such bad complications with liver, muscles and other things, it is guaranteed to affect sperm quality as well.

I was wondering if you could advise us if you think this drug should be avoided. Does my husband really need it? also, what other more healthy alternatives are there to mimic statins without complications?

Thank you very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
(female)

Vicky-Vicky HB User
Re: Does my husband need Crestor??

I forgot to add that his bad cholesterol is normal. It's only the good cholesterol (which is lower) and tryglicerides (which are high) are the problem.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

People don't seem to realize that statins were only approved by the FDA for people that were in emminent danger of a heart attack. (whether I agree with that is immaterial as this point). Artificial cholesterol lowering (by medication) can easily damage the mitochondria. Women are never, ever to take any cholesterol lowering medication if they are pregnant, intend to get, or possibly could become pregnant. Cholesterol is vital to the development of a fetus. There isn't enough information on lowering cholesterol in men and the risk to a future child, but you are correct in that lowered cholesterol can show up in sperm quality. I would error on the side of caution. I find it a waste of money and possible health to try and raise HDL with Crestor. THe alternatives are the ones you already tried, modifying your diet. Doctors are treating cholesterol lowering medications as a magic pill....unfortunately they are a time bomb.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky-Vicky
.... his bad cholesterol is normal. It's only the good cholesterol (which is lower) and tryglicerides (which are high) are the problem.
I also have a doctor that feels compelled to interefere with the way my body works. My LDL is a bit high (167mg/dl). But there is no sign of inflammation (CRP was negative). So I won't take a statin. I am letting my body get on with what it does best. I find the fact that I am having to do this against doctors advice quite extraordinary.

Anyway, if you are really unhappy with the numbers, reduce carbohydrates and increase fat in the diet. Reducing carbs should bring the trigycerides down. And increasing saturated fat will increase HDL, big time.

Mark

Last edited by Mark1e; 11-26-2006 at 02:04 AM.

Old 11-26-2006, 04:12 AM   #5
(male)

jkhh HB User

If I read your post correctly, your husbands only concern is the HDL (good cholesterol). In that case, the best way to raise it is with Niacin (non-prescription-Vitamin B3). Most doctors even feel this is so! Crestor is best at reducing Total and LDL although they claim it raises HDL. I was on it for a few years and it never got my HDL above 40. Also, exercise and reducing processed foods are good for raising HDL (here I'm a hypocrite ). Finally, 3 to 4 grams of Fish Oil per day is excellent for everyone and helps reduce triglycerides, among others.

I would suggest reading the thread here on Niacin. Remember, most here are not doctors giving medical advise and are giving personal experiences as the basis for their posts (especially me .

Good luck.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Vicky,

Look into a condition called Metabolic Syndrome, also called Syndrome X. it is characterized by high triglycerides and low HDL. THe syndrome tends to include poor sugar utilization with a tendency towards diabetes and fat deposition in the belly.

If you are trying to get pregnant the fewer drugs you both take the better.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

Another case of the doctor in bed with the drug company reps . For minor elevations you don't go and stick someone on the strongest statin available with all the side effects that go along with it . What are these guys thinking , they obviously believe everything the drug reps tell them and any drug company sponsored study .

Old 11-26-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
(female)

Vicky-Vicky HB User

I would like to thank you all for taking the time to reply to my message - my husband and me appreciate it a lot.

Yes, the doctor alleged my husband has the so called metabolic syndrome - though when his numbers were actually normal a few years ago (that is when he actively addressed the issue) this metabolic syndrome magically disappeared???

One reason my husband is not sure whether he should not be taking Crestor (despite my begging, threats and everything else I could come up with so far) is that he does not know how to deal with our doctor. He is obviously afraid to confront him and challenge his professional opinion - what if the doctor gets upset and stops having him as a patient? To which I replied that a good doctor will listen and will try to persuade with facts and actual numbers. If he goes into extremes, then we do not need such a doctor in the first place.

I just don't quite understand why there seems to be such obsession with statins. I mean I can not believe the doctors are taking bribes, and literally 100 percent of them ... are there any doctors out there who openly criticize what is going on? and where are they??

Last edited by Vicky-Vicky; 11-26-2006 at 09:53 PM.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:14 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I am worried sick because I am afraid he can cause irreparable damage to his body, and frankly I simply don't believe that my husband is high risk for heart attack, given his situation and history.
Alas, you SHOULD believe that your husband is in a high risk group for heart disease. In "American numbers" his HDL is 32. THis is quite terrible. I speak from experience becasue an HDL only a few points lower got me heart disease in my early 50's.

As he found out, metabolic syndrome CAN be dealt with by strict diet, excellent weight control and exercise, with perhaps the addition of an agent like niacin or even daily alcohol. BUT this is not a diet that one can go off of...it must be a lifetime committment.

How heavy is your husband today? What is his height? What are his OTHER cholesterol numbers?

Last edited by Lenin; 11-27-2006 at 05:16 AM.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Your husband is not at high risk for heart disease just because of his numbers. No one can say that having a low HDL caused them to have heart disease. You can have very high HDL...and it can all be of the useless kind. Inflammation is the key to heart disease.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
..... are there any doctors out there who openly criticize what is going on? and where are they??
Yes there are. Google The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics . What we have here is a prime example of pharmaceutical companies having uexcessive influence over doctors. And bribery is not neccessary. They do kit by controlling the information that doctors rely on to make decisions. Like the clinical trials. And apparently 60%+ of the studies that get published in prestigious medical journals are funded either directly or indirectly by Big Pharma.

Mark

Old 11-27-2006, 07:38 PM   #12
(female)

Vicky-Vicky HB User

Lenin,

My husband's data are as follows:

Height: 6 feet
Weight: 205 pounds
Waist circumference: 41 inch or 104 cm
Bad cholesterol: 4.55
Good cholesterol: 0.82
Tryglicerides: he does not remember, told him to confirm with his doctor
Previous medical conditions: none, except for milk and gluten intolerance (can drink processed milk and we mostly eat organic multigrain breads, sometimes yeast-free etc). A few years ago had slightly elevated blood pressure which is normal now. Possibly does not need any meds in that area either. Never had chest pains, except in a couple of cases under stress.

I read descriptions of metabolic syndrome, he does not meet it on several indicators. By the way, I obviously have it myself, because it turned out my good cholesterol was low too, and tryglicerides were somewhat elevated. And today my blood pressure was 160/120 (!), partially stress-related. At the same time our doctor dismissed my complaints saying I was too young to have high blood pressure (?!?).

Mark, thank you for the great link - I hope my husband will be able to finally open his eyes and accept the actual facts. He advised me today that he was thinking on starting Crestor soon. After a heated discussion (which is partially the reason of my elevated bp) he decided it could be a good idea to get some testing done first instead, such as a CT scan of the heart. They can do it here and it is supposed to detect plaque and blockages if any. At least if there are problems, then using statins can be justified.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:53 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
..... he decided it could be a good idea to get some testing done first instead, such as a CT scan of the heart. They can do it here and it is supposed to detect plaque and blockages if any. ....
You may also want to have his thyroid checked out. An underactive thyroid can raise cholesterol. And they can test for inflammation, the absence of which would suggest this cholesterol isn't being used for laying down plaque.

Mark

The Following User Says Thank You to Mark1e For This Useful Post:
UTVOL06 (09-06-2011)
Old 11-28-2006, 05:07 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Vicky,

I STRONGLY advise your husband to have a nuclear stress test also called a sestamibi scan, thallium stress test, MIBI scan and a few other names.
Especially since he suffered a couple bouts of chest pain under "stress."

Old 12-07-2006, 07:21 PM   #15
(female)

Vicky-Vicky HB User

I just wanted to let you know that we did my husband's CT heart scan the other day and his calcium deposit score is 0! that is his arteries are clean ... now, does he need statins with all of that, considering his cardiograms were consistently normal and he did not have chest pain ever?

Closed Thread