It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
(male)

jkhh HB User
Trans Fats???

I've heard a bit of news this week about trans fats and their role in increasing LDL cholesterol. Mostly, I've heard of trans fats being in doughnuts, pop tarts, french fries . . . those things that I would never allow to enter my temple . Anyway, I'm wondering if someone(s) can offer any advise on how to best eliminate trans fats from the every day diet and any experience with the effect of eliminating trans fats from their diet (ie the ldl reduction, etc.).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User
Re: Trans Fats???

Never buy anything that has the word "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated" in the list of ingredients.

Never buy/eat commercially prepared, pre-packaged baked goods (including things like crackers)

Don't eat at McDonalds and similar places.

If you follow those 3 rules, you will greatly reduce if not eliminate trans fats from your diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
(female)

Iajc_2006 HB User

I, too, am trying to remove all trans fat from my diet, particularly because I am struggling to get my HDL level up where it should be.

When buying groceries, read all the labels. Even if the nutrition label says the product has zero grams of trans fat PER SERVING, make sure the words "partially hydrogenated" or "hydrogenated" oils are not listed in the ingredients. NO amount of trans fat is safe.

Eating out is trickier. Most restaurants fry foods in trans fats. Avoid fried foods. Most baked goods, unless they are homemade, contain trans fats. Avoid eating pancakes and biscuits at restaurants; they contain trans fats. I love Hardee's biscuits, but had to give them up.

I have had no success raising my HDL level by avoiding trans fats. However, my LDL level is reasonable (104) and overall cholesterol is good (165). I don't know that I can attribute that to eliminating (or reducing) trans fats, though.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

The average person the the U.S. consumes 47.5 POUNDS of trans fat per year.....That is done one gram at a time.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

FINALLY:

New York City has just banned trans-fats from restaurants and fast food joints.

Now there is no Crisco allowed on the Baked BIG APPLE!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-08-2006 at 06:38 AM.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
(male)

jkhh HB User

Humor me (us) Lenin . What about my weekend visit to the Chinese Restaurant???? If you say no more won ton soup, sushi, fried rice . . . i'm a goner for sure .

Old 12-08-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
(female)

Iajc_2006 HB User

I know you didn't ask me, but I will answer. If you are serious about eliminating simple carbs, won ton is made out of white flour, and fried rice is made with white rice - both high on the glycemic index. As for trans fat content, who know. That's the problem with eating out. You don't get to read the ingredients list. But I do know the fortune cookies contain trans fat. It's a cheap fat and the shelf life is long, so no wonder most food chains use it in about everything. Lenin?

Old 12-08-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
(male)

jkhh HB User

Iajc,

I appreciate the post on the Chinese. Of course, you could have broken the news a little easier . That was almost as good news as the dentist telling me a need a root canal yesterday. You're right about the diet too. Plus, a little knowledge can be dangerous. I went to see my brother in the hospital this evening, missed dinner and found myself pulling in for an old fashioned hamburger (single at least . Oh well, maybe I'll skip the doughnuts tomorrow morning and I did take my Vytorin when I got home.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Judge,

Quote:
What about my weekend visit to the Chinese Restaurant???? If you say no more won ton soup, sushi, fried rice . . . i'm a goner for sure
No problem,
NONE of those items need contain any trans fats...and in New York none WILL...by LAW!

Yummy fried rice fried in nice fresh soy or canola oil.
Pass the Orange Shrimp...extra spicy!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-09-2006 at 06:35 AM.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:47 AM   #10
(female)

chj HB User

I think you find that McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken and other fast food chains still use trans fats in their oil.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:56 AM   #11
(female)

Iajc_2006 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chj
I think you find that McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken and other fast food chains still use trans fats in their oil.
I recently heard that both KFC and Taco Bell are phasing out the use of trans fats in their foods, although Taco Bell admitted a couple of items would still contain trans fat. McDonalds SAID they were going to eliminate trans fats but have yet to do anything about it. I have also written several foods companies asking them to eliminated trans fats from their products (such as Duncan Hines cake mixes), but I have never received a response.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:58 AM   #12
(female)

Iajc_2006 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejkh
Iajc,

I appreciate the post on the Chinese. Of course, you could have broken the news a little easier . That was almost as good news as the dentist telling me a need a root canal yesterday. You're right about the diet too. Plus, a little knowledge can be dangerous. I went to see my brother in the hospital this evening, missed dinner and found myself pulling in for an old fashioned hamburger (single at least . Oh well, maybe I'll skip the doughnuts tomorrow morning and I did take my Vytorin when I got home.
The hamburger (minus the white flour bun) is actually better for you than a doughnut. Studies show that some saturated fat intake WITHOUT the high carb intake is NOT harmful. Recently, there was a report about a study that showed low-carb diets (which are basically low REFINED carb diets) are NOT harmful to heart health.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I recently heard that both KFC and Taco Bell are phasing out the use of trans fats in their foods
Unfortunately Taco Bell is replacing them with E. coli.
<Well, they might be able to market the infected food as "promoting weight loss!">

Old 12-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #14
(male)

jkhh HB User

Lenin, you are on a roll. I guess I understand why we always called it Taco ****: . I thought of going to my local chinese restaurant and asking about trans fats but I'm not sure how much information I would get . I questioned whether the sushi was made daily or was made with boiled fish for a longer shelf life. The chef /owner was not amused .

Iajc, connie, chj and nhone; thanks for the fast food and grocery advise. Hopefully, I can stay away from the trans fats a bit better now. It makes good sense because my even when my total and ldl were low (with Crestor) my hdl was not rising. My hdl consistenly stays low and I consistently eat junk food .

Old 12-10-2006, 06:46 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
whether the sushi was made daily or was made with boiled fish for a longer shelf life. The chef /owner was not amused .
NEVER make a joke like that when standing in front of someone with a footlong meat cleaver!

Closed Thread