It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User
CO ENZYNE 10 Relieves Statin Symptoms?

Went to my Endo doc today and he wants me to increase the dose of my Zocor. When I do I get muscle pain, tired and weak. he told me to take Co Enzyme 10. That a new study showed that taking it counteracts statin drug side effects. Although he didn't tell me what dose to take. Anyone else hear about this?

Old 12-13-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User
Re: CO ENZYNE 10 Relieves Statin Symptoms?

If you are taking Zocor now, you should already be taking Co Q10. Statin medications, as well as some other medications, interfere with the pathway that produces CoQ10 as well as other functions in the body. Statins in effect cause the body to malfunction. There is sufficient evidence of the effects of lowered CoQ10 on the heart and other muscles. A good dose would be 300mg per day. If you have had problems with statins, you should start out at 600mg per day. People with parkinsons (to slow the progression) should be on 1200mg per day. Less than 1200 for people with parkinsons has been shown to not be effective in slowing down the progression. Coq10 has shown no side efffects even in doses of 3000 mg per day. Coq10 is produced by the body as well as ingested in some food we eat. Zetia is now know to stop the absorption of Coq10 and other vital nutrients. Therefore vytorin is a double whammy. It stops the absorption as well as the production of Coq10. COq10 is vital for heart function. Health Canada has a warning label on every prescription of statins warning of the interruption of the process of COq10. Coq10 does not counter the side effects of statins. It merely helps to replace the Coq10 depletions that statins have caused. Some heart medications and blood pressure medications also deplete Coq10. Seems kind of counter productive to me. By the way the makers of Zocor already of the dangers of Coq10 depletion of statins. That have a patent on a combination of Zocor and Coq10... It is beyond me why they don't nake this... (the patent plainly states the danger of Coq10 depletion).. By the way, if you start to have proximal muscle weakness, don't think it is something else is causing the problem. It is the statins.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
(male)

jkhh HB User

NHone, You mention "There is sufficient evidence of the effects of lowered CoQ10 on the heart and other muscles. A good dose would be 300mg per day. If you have had problems with statins, you should start out at 600mg per day. People with parkinsons (to slow the progression) should be on 1200mg per day. Less than 1200 for people with parkinsons has been shown to not be effective in slowing down the progression. Coq10 has shown no side efffects even in doses of 3000 mg per day. Coq10 is produced by the body as well as ingested in some food we eat. Zetia is now know to stop the absorption of Coq10 and other vital nutrients. Therefore vytorin is a double whammy."

The Coq10 that I have which is Q-Gel is only 30 mg. This amount seems "way off" in terms of the mgs you've set out in the reply. Is Qgel a different mg for good reason is this just an entirely insufficient? I have heard that Qgel is the best form of CoQ10 delivery. I have been on Vytorin for less than a month and have been trying to supplement with CoQ10 having experienced the side effects of Crestor.

Last edited by jkhh; 12-19-2006 at 01:19 PM.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

The neurologist that my mother goes to (while i don't always agree with him) was involved in the study on Coq10 and Parkinsons. He said there is very little difference in the absorption of different types of Coq10. I believe my mother takes Nature's blend?? Anyway, she gets it at either wal-mart of walgreens. They usually have a 2 for 1 sale. The bottles she gets are 200mg.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

I checked and mother's Coq10 is Q-sorb...Nature's Bounty, 200mg

Old 12-20-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

Dr. Andy Weil, who is among the foremost authorities that I know of for integrative medicine (combining traditional western medicine and more natural forms) recommends 90 to 120 mg. per day.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:56 AM   #7
(male)

jkhh HB User

I went to my local chain drug store last night to check on a higher mg COQ10. WOW, the price is high . LENIN, you are right on the money on this one . It's no wonder that the patent combo of statin/coq10 has not been used. I would imagine the docs would even have to charge for the samples of it .

Old 12-21-2006, 08:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

There would hardly be a price increase in a patent combo of a statin and Coq10. The main part Coq10 is cheap. What you are paying for is a binder and packaging. People see to think that statins "side effects" can be relieved by Coq10. IT is not a side effect. It is the plain depletion of Coq10. Also the side effects are from cholesterol lowering, not statin or drug side effects.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:56 PM   #9
(male)

Imacarbuff HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHone
There would hardly be a price increase in a patent combo of a statin and Coq10. The main part Coq10 is cheap. What you are paying for is a binder and packaging. People see to think that statins "side effects" can be relieved by Coq10. IT is not a side effect. It is the plain depletion of Coq10. Also the side effects are from cholesterol lowering, not statin or drug side effects.
OK.....are you saying that by driving your cholesterol too low with statins-and the combined effect of Coq10 depletion cause all of the side effects? Therefore, if someone were able to find the right dose of any given statin to say hold the numbers in a "safe-zone" but not TOO low....they would not suffer side effects? Assuming of course that 100mg of Coq10 were also part of the program-would that work? Sounds too easy. Also, why does some of my "side effects" continue to linger nearly one year later? There must be more to the puzzle that I am not seeing.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

No Imacar..."Their" idea of a safe zone and my idea of a safe zone are two different things. Most likely (from the statin study) the side effects aren't from the drugs themselves (like some drugs cause coughing, raised Bp, etc.) the cholesterol lowering drugs side effects are from the actual cholesterol lowering. Cholesterol is required to make the cell wall waterproof. WHen you start messing with it, the cells can become leaky. This can then cause mitochondria damage (the powerhouse of the cell). Many times when the cell is leaking, it is not leaking enough to show up on a blood test. However it is still being damaged. Without cholesterol you body would become water soluble. You literally would melt in the rain. Cholesterol and CoQ10 are produced on the same pathway. Statins stop this (block the road) before that process is started that is why both are involved. They just happen to be on the same road. Both cholesterol and COq10 have their own functions. I don't know of a perfect dose...everyone's body is so different. Many medications delete many things. Statins aren't the only ones that delete Coq10. Calcium Channel blockers do also, and they also deplete magnesium. Some of your "side effects" could be permanent damage, i'm sorry to say. Your cells, or cells of your muscles could be too badly damged to regenerate. In my Mother's case she has brain damage in the region of the cerebellum, that has caused her problems. You might check out function of the cerebellum. Not everyone has pain, but most do. Her problem was balance and weakness now slurring. The cerebellum has lowest amount but the highest concentration of Coq10 of any region of the brain. It is very easily damaged by depletion and very sensitive to medications (chemicals). The cerebellum is what is effected when someone is drunk. The reason I don't belive that cholesterol is the problem in CAD is that we have many smaller vessels in our body that aren't effected. CAD occurs where there is a change in the velocity of the blood (velocity is speed and direction) That is why people have one, two, three, etc. by passes. They are at the junctions....something is causing abrasions in that area. High blood pressure can be one..and refined sugars can be another. But something is causing it. Low thyroid can also be a problem. I suspect many of the people that post here have low thyroid. Most doctors are going on old ranges for thyroid...but they jump right in there when those new cholesterol guidelines come out. ALso rarely do you find a doctor that tests for FreeT3..the active part of the thyroid hormone. My mother had numbers that were all "within range" by guidelines. However she was sufffering from hypothyroid symptoms. Her doctor would not treat her for symptoms, and neither will most doctors. Her doctor for this problem is a natural medication, and homeopathic doctor. He is ALSO an M.D. Her numbers are all out of line now except for her Free T3 which is in the right spot. Her symptoms of hypothyroid are all gone. Imacarbuff, sorry to go on like this.. but tell me you main problem right now. Do you have trouble getting up out of a chair, turning over in bed, raising you hands above your head, going up and down steps? I'd say the chair and the bed are most important. I'll check on the supplements mother takes to help repair mitichondria.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #11
(male)

Imacarbuff HB User

Thanks for clearing things up for me. I do not have any of the problems you asked about in your response. My issues now deal with how quickly my muscles react to what use to bring no painful response. I mean, I can be having a good day...carry an object that weighs maybe only 20 pounds for 20 feet and within an hour or so-backache. My legs use to do that but they have pretty much improved to where they don't hurt. But, my back remains pretty sensitive to just about anything.

Closed Thread