It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
(male)

edkal HB User
Zetia--- Interfere with heart beats -- Anyone?

Since I could no longer take any statins, I was put on Zetia because it claimed no statins. All went well for about a month and then the heart beats began missing again. You know 2 beats and miss and beat again type of thing.

While on Lipitor as well as the others I had a history of missed beats during the course of the day as well as nights. This was caused by Caffine in one case and then after put on a monitor was told it was P.V.C. - Premature Ventricular Contraction, and told it was not life threating. Here is the kicker - after not taking Lipitor, I noticed after some time, that I no longer had these episodes of missed heart beats. What a relief I said !!

Now aftertaking Zetia for the month I started to have missed beats again but not as bad, and very brief. Alarmed, I stopped the Zetia and after several days the missed beats have stopped.

The question is -- has anyone who were on Zetia had the same problems with missed beats of the heart. I would sure like to know if this is characteristic , or just a fluke.

I had an EKG last week and was normal.

Thanks for your input.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User
Re: Zetia--- Interfere with heat beats -- Anyone1

it is probably not a fluke.. Zetia was thought to work by stopping absorption in the intestine. It is now known that zetia works by making the NPC1 L1 protein malfunction. Zetia is known to stop the absorption of COq10 as well as other vital nutrients. Coq10 is essential for heart health, and missed beats could be a sign that something is wrong. The side effects from statins are from lowering cholesterol not just from the medication. This would apply to zetia also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
(male)

edkal HB User

Thanks HHone, I have not taken Zetia now for 4 days and so far I have had only one minor missed beat. Also, some of the leg muscle pain has subsided some and time will tell how it all works out. I guess I'll have to just take my chanches on my numbers and stick to my natural supplements in keeping my numbers in the high normal side, if there is such a thing, but at my age (81) I'll just go on and try to live a normal life and let the chips fall where they may. I have been told my liver puts out too much chlo. and my body cannot get rid of it.

I survived a double By Pass ( no heart attact) back in 1975 and to date I have been in good health with a little curbing the fat intake -- all--. However during the years from 1969 to date I was on allmost every med. that has hit the mkt. with results of 200 to 230. and not less.

Thanks again for relaxing my mind. I was beginng to think of worse then side effects.

All input is wecome.

Last edited by edkal; 12-27-2006 at 07:37 PM.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

janeslk HB User

I think I have probably mentioned this before. My father-in-law had the bypass operation after suffering a heart attack when he was 66 or so. He was taking Zocor when he developed dementia in his late 70's. My husband decided to eliminate his Zocor at that point because he was taking about five or six other medications for various things, including high blood pressure. He has not been on a statin for at least three or four years. He will celebrate his 85th birthday next month. His health is actually great, but not so his mind. I sometimes wonder if he even needed statins at all after he reached a certain age.

Jane

Old 01-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
(male)

edkal HB User

Thanks Jane, Sounds good to me. I'll just go along and hope for the best since I cannot take any statins and now Zetia.

I guess my body is revolting.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

janeslk HB User

Good Luck. It sounds as if you have tried them all. I am not advocating you stop trying to find something that works. I am only saying that in my father-in-law's case, the elimination of a statin three or four years ago apparently did not affect his overall health.

Jane

Closed Thread