It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006, 07:40 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

efang HB Userefang HB User
about CholestOFF

I like to know if anyone here tried CholestOFF before and find it can reduce Cholesterol (LDL). You can buy it from any Costco abotu $13.00. T

I am going to try , but I want to make sure it doesn't has side effect.

Thanks!

Last edited by moderator2; 12-28-2006 at 10:00 AM.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:39 PM   #2
(male)

.able.baker HB User
Re: about CholestOFF

Didn't work for me. No side effects either. Maybe it's so cheap it's worth a try for you.

A.B.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
(male)

edkal HB User

Does it have statins? Is it a over the counter or presp?

This is the firsst I have heard of it .

Old 12-29-2006, 04:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

edkal,

No statins in it.
Cholestoff is a brand name for plant sterols and stanols that one takes a couple times a day wiith meals. The molecules prevent some absorption of cholesterol in the intestines and take thus it out of the body.
Almost half of the dietary cholesterol can be removed but the body compensates and MAKES more so the net effect of taking 4 pills a day (like 3 grams total) is to lower total cholesterol and LDL by around 10-15%.

It's a good choice for someone who wants to avooid statins and needs only modest lowering of cholesterol levels.

Side effects are limited to gastrointestinal ones...diarrhea, gas, etc.

Buy for price of a gram of sterols...the prices are wildly divergent and make sure you get from 2-3 grams a day.

(Youu can get the same stanol supplementation in Benecol margerine or MM's "Heart Healthy" orange juice and somebody's yoghurt.)

Last edited by Lenin; 12-29-2006 at 04:59 AM.

Old 01-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
(male)

edkal HB User

Thanks Lenin, You may or may not know I cannot tolerate statins and that is why the statin question. I have a history of over production of chloestrol and even with statins, it was never below 200, only a few times, so now I am taking Beta Sitosterol, Frush Free Niacin and Red Rice Rice plus Omega 3 6 9 fish oil. At age of 81, I'm not too worried. I had double by pass back in 1975 with no problems so far, so I guess l have to take my chances.

I do watch my fat intake and drink socially. I weigh 222 - 6 ft tall and physically active and do not smoke, I gave that up in 1975.

Any advice? Thanks

Old 01-02-2007, 06:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ed,

I guess you know that beta-sitosterol and Cholestoff are pretty much the same thing.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
(male)

edkal HB User

Lenin,
Was not really sure, but thought it sounded pretty simular to what i am taking now, so I guess I'll save a few bucks and stick with what I am doing now.

Thanks for your respose. Appreciated !

Ed

Old 01-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

My mom posted on this board about choles-toff. She purchased her at Wal Mart for $6 at the the time. It did nothing for her cholesterol. She still has to take lipitor.

Before she starts the lipitor, I am starting her off with mm healthy heart o.j., take control spread, and back to low fat. She did very well with that regimen.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
(female)

busymommy HB Userbusymommy HB User

It must be purely coincidental, but after a few months on the stuff, my cholesterol is the highest ever! So my answer is that it didn't bring the numbers down at all.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

I took it and it seems to work for me.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

For an effect you really need to take a LOT of this stuff.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:40 AM   #12
(female)

busymommy HB Userbusymommy HB User

...and I really don't like swallowing pills...and they're not that small...and you have to take AT LEAST four a day.

How about these red yeast rice tablets? I am going to do a search because I just started out on this subject due to my recent high cholesterol readings and my doctor recommended this route.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

efang HB Userefang HB User

I like to know if any report mentioned about its side effect , such as if it can cause liver problem or not . I checked CholestOFF webside, but there is no information about side effect.
My LDL is around 130-150 and total Cholesterol is about 220-230. I haven't used
any medication yet and only take Garlic and diet . I don' know I should take it or not.

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2007, 05:23 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

efang,

Sterols and stanols aren't likely to affect your liver. Side effects are usually related to gasto-intestinal tract upset like cramps, diarrhea, flatulence.

Of course, like with almost any drug, some people may be allergic so be alert, at the beginning, for any allergy signs like itching, hives, difficulty breathing. But such occurrences will be very rare.

I think anyone with miserable lipid numbers who doesn't want a statin should try these products.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymommy
How about these red yeast rice tablets? I am going to do a search because I just started out on this subject due to my recent high cholesterol readings and my doctor recommended this route.
Red yeast rice is essentially a "natural" mild statin and therefore can have the same side effects as prescription statins. And since there is no real regulation of supplements, it's hard to tell which brands contain how much of the active ingredient. My opinion is that anyone taking it should be followed by a doctor and have liver function, etc. tests periodically just like they would if they were on an Rx statin.

That said, my sister does just fine with red yeast rice and some niacin to control her numbers. I, on the other hand, have to use official medication.

Closed Thread