It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
(female)

dancing HB User
Fasting before blood workup?

Question for anyone........What is the accurate time length to fast before blood workup?

Thanks,
dancing

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-31-2007 at 12:56 AM. Reason: started a new thread with this question

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Fasting before blood workup?

For blood lipid numbers, to get a valid triglyceride reading the recommended fast is 14 hours away from all food except water and 24 hours away from all alcohol. I think 24 hours away from sugary sweets is wise.

<If I can;t get the first appointment of the day, I usually sneak in a mug of coffee a couple hours before the test to prevent a massive withdrawal headache and it seems to work okay.>

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

My instructions are always no alcohol the day before (which ends up being about 36 hrs +), and eat a low fat dinner by 7:00 p.m. the night before with nothing but water subsequently until the test the next morning. I think they say limit the water after midnite to 24 oz, but I've been known to follow that instruction with a grain of salt, so to speak...

Old 01-31-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
(male)

Imacarbuff HB User

Wow....I'm always just told "12 hours"....no food, some water is OK. Nothing is ever said about alcohol, low fat foods the night before (although I'm thinking a steak and fries would not be a good idea) nor staying away fom sweets for 24 hours. I think I will give my next workup more thought. Perhaps I can improve my numbers without really making any more drastic changes to my already pretty simple meal plans.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

The lady that takes my blood at Quest, told me different drs. have different fasting times, some 8, some 10 and some 12. I usually go between 10 to 12 hrs., and always eat a light supper the nite before, before 6, and then drink water the rest of the nite. She also told me to drink a small glass of water before going down, as you get a little dehydrated from fasting, so it makes it easier for them to draw blood if you have a small glass of water.

I'm not a drinker, so that part has nothing to do with me, but I did forget once and about 10 p.m. had some cottage cheese. When I went I told the gal, and she said don't worry about it, and it was the best set of numbers I had in 2 years, so go figure? I think a small piece of steak with maybe a salad and some veggies would be ok, but DEFINITELY skip the fries!! Fries should actually be one of the foods you avoid period, not just at fast time.

Good luck, hope the next test is good....

Closed Thread