It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

okwdvc HB User
Dairy products - good or bad

My husband has been dairy free for years. I am not sure why but he has recently started eating yogurt everyday. Is this bad for cholesterol? It is Stonyfield Farms All Natural Fat Free/ Cholesterol free yogurt. A 6oz. cup has 23 grams of sugar and 105 mg of sodium. He adds a half cup berries to it even though it is a fruit on the bottom type yogurt. Opinions? Thanks!

Lisa

Old 03-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
(male)

bhp02 HB Userbhp02 HB Userbhp02 HB Userbhp02 HB User
Re: Dairy products - good or bad

yes, if there is fat, saturated , in dairy products, I would assume it is bad for
cholesterol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Just because a food has fat in it; ie dairy products, does not automatically mean you must stay away from it. You need some fat in your diet.

It has also been shown if you eat too little cholesterol, your body "thinks" it is deprived of it, and then produces even more.

Anyway, fat does not always=cholesterol.

Studies have shown Yogurt Lowers LDL, and raises HDL Cholesterol

Daily consumption of 3 ounces (100 g) of probiotic yogurt (yogurt containing health-promoting bacteria) significantly improved the cholesterol profile, lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol while raising HDL (good) cholesterol.

But if you really worry about the cholesterol, he can eat the low fat kind, or even the fat free. But be aware, they replace the fat with something when they take that tasty fat away, usually additives, and sugar. So, you have to decide which is worse.

Lower body fat has also been linked to eating calcium rich foods.

So eating yogurt may be doing your hubby a lot of GOOD.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Isis is right. When they did all the test on fat..they didn't even consider the sugars and carbs in food. They gave people fat free ice cream, but it still has tons of sugar in it. As Isis said saturated fat is not the problem. Saturated fat is natural fat and the body used it readily for fuel. Trans fats don't resemble any molecule in the body. Thats why there is such a problem with them. Dr. Clay semenkovich of washington university medical school in st. louis has found that you must have new fat to burn old fat. If you don't the old fat settles in the liver causing a fatty liver.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:56 AM   #5
(male)

I beg to disagree, saturated fat, whether natural or not could elevate cholesterol,,, not in all people , but in people with a predispostion to hypercholesterolemia. I believe cheese is high in it. I believe the concentrations in milk are not that high compared to weight.
I drink all the milk and cheese I want, but my good lipid levels are always
high , so I don't worry about it. But others may reconsider. Consult your MD,
do not take anybody's advice as the final answer.

Of course, the body does manufacture its own cholesterol. Also there is doubt whether the foreign cholesterol is directly related to elevated cholesterol levels.

And you guys are right about yogourt, I believe it is a net beneficial.
also the body does need fat intake, I was not talking in absolute terms.
So I would cut back on foods like cheese, but stick with low fat yougurt, low fat milk etc although I am not informed on the latest nutrional profile of
these dairy products.

Last edited by bhp02; 03-17-2007 at 05:01 AM.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think butterfat is perhaps the SINGULARLY WORST component of our diets.

Unfortunately cheese, which improves the taste of EVERYTHING is a tough bird to eliminate...it is delicious and omnipresent and it's used to improve the taste of fast foods that otherwise would taste like hot wet cardboard.

Fat-free youghurt is by definition free of butterfat, so it's a fine healthy high protein food anytime.

Butterfat is for calves not people.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-18-2007 at 07:13 AM.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

BUT, something else to think about, don't you find it odd that the experts blame butter and beef for heart disease, even though heart disease as we know it has only been around since about 1912, and we've been eating butter for 30,000 years and beef for about 3 million?

Don't you find it funny that the foods in all traditional diets - starting with breast milk - are loaded with saturated fat and cholesterol, yet people who eat these traditional foods liberally don't get heart disease? Nor are they fat or diabetic.

In our triple epidemic of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease, the three main villains are trans fats, margarine, corn oil, and sugar - not butter and eggs. Look at the labels on nearly every box of packaged food product, you'll find at least 2 of these on the label. Not to mention a dozen more non-pronouncable ingredients. Ones that weren't there 50 years ago.

My grandparents were brought up and until they died, eating lard, butter, pork, beef and eggs. They didn't eat a lot of sugar early on because it was hard to obtain, and they didn't develop a "sugar habit" like the epidemic we know today.

They of course also ate vegetables without preservatives and loaded with other ingredients, and a lot of times grown themselves. They would have have eaten what is known today as food from the "edges of the supermarket" where most of the more nutritious food is found. Fruits, veggies, meats, dairy.

But they didn't know what trans fats, preservatives, processed foods, all the usual "industrialized" foods were. They didn't eat skim, lowfat, anything. They lived into their 90's, sometimes late 90's. They had only begun to eat the "modern" ways starting when they were around their 70's.

They had no earthly idea what their cholesterol level was, because it was never tested. Certainly never took any statin drugs.

But they lived a decently healthly long life, with little illness, and ate good, whole food, that TASTED good. AND, they didn't have to take statins and eat low-fat and no-fat, and worse yet, restrict themselves to none.

Those who are finding themselves worrying about taking statins should maybe look at the big picture of their diet in total, before taking that step. I think everyone knows the dangers of these drugs, if not, they should do some reading up on them, and not just blindly trust what their Dr. tells them.

Raw milk, and the products made from it, are the best, but harder to obtain. As it contains more of the omega-3 fats, more vitamin A, and more beta carotene and other antioxidants. Grass-fed dairy foods contain conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), a polyunsaturated, omega-6 fat which fights cancer and prevents heart disease. CLA disappears when dairy cows are fed grain.

Grass fed is best of course. Organic is easily found in most grocery stores. So are yogurt and cheeses.

Butterfats, in my opinion, are a GOOD thing, in moderation, as in ANYTHING.

It's not what it IS, it's everything else you combine it WITH.

Last edited by Isis498; 03-18-2007 at 09:20 AM.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
(male)

historically speaking, mankind had a shorter lifespan, even though he was eating meat. Also, he was eating less of it than now. Also the meat wasprobably wild game and leaner.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
(female)

chj HB User

isis498 hello, I agree whole heartedly with you. My grandmother and granfather lived to a ripe old age and ate a very full fat diet.Like your grandparents they lived off the land and ate what was natural and available to them like butter, cheese, cream, full fat milk with every meal a lot of pork and sometimes beef. They also grew their own vegetables and fruit . They lived a very happy life. I just feel that today we get so bombarded with a lot of misinformation and get totally paranoid with cholesterol and numbers and feel pushed, in many cases, to start taking statins. In some cases it might be necessary to take statins, but to put everybody in the same boat, in my view, is wrong.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp02 View Post
historically speaking, mankind had a shorter lifespan, even though he was eating meat. Also, he was eating less of it than now. Also the meat wasprobably wild game and leaner.
Historically speaking yes, if you're talking about hundred's of years ago.

And yes, some wild game, because they hunted quite a bit, but raised most all their own meat. On grass, hay, and a bit of grain. Definitely no soy. And of course, less of it, again that word comes up: MODERATION. Not GLUTTONY. But they still ate they butter, cream, milk, cheese, meats, etc.

Did you also know that it's a fact that pigs are fattened much more quickly for market by being fed Skim Milk? And was done so over 100 years ago? According to a Kansas State Agricultural College farm department bulletin from 1897, they did that very thing, and farmers continued to do so.

Have you ever really looked at cartons of low fat and fat free items, and saw what they replace the fat WITH? Not too appetizing really. Many times, some of it's sugar, bad for a diabetic. Then the poor overweight diabetic wonders why their BS is not well controlled.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Yes, people should consult their M.D. However don't take their word as the final truth. Many are uninformed, and under the spell of their drug reps. I think it would be informative to consult biochemists to understand how the body works. Just because something is a saturated fat does not mean it sits in the body. The same with cholesterol. Most people have a very poor understanding of the many , many roles cholesterol plays in the vital functions in the body.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:12 AM   #12
(female)

lindseesmom HB User

Even though we are watching our cholesterol, everything in moderation is a good rule of thumb. I watch what yogurts I eat and am not a big milk drinker. We did switch to 2% milk.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

You have taken a good step by reducing to 2%, but when you're accustomed to that, you really need to take the next step of going to 1% and ultimately nonfat if you can. Regular milk is a little over 3% butterfat, so going to 2% isn't saving much in terms of calories or fat.

Closed Thread