It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
(male)

nuway HB User
High Colesterol and red yeast rice

There has been a lot of discussions lately about high cholesterol.I would like to relate what happened to me I am middle aged and was diagnosed with high cholesterol I lead a healthy lifestyle eat sensibly and work out at the gym three to four times a week.I was diagnosed with this condition and was put on LIPEX from my GP I developed muscle weakness cramps and joint pains with a few weeks of taking this potent drug I stopped after two months as I was feeling like crap I then had a wash out period of six weeks taking no drugs I then started taking red yeast rice my cholesterol levels are now excellent I have had no side effects and have been on hypocol red yeast rice for 3 months it is 100% natural and I feel like it has worked wonders for me as I did not want to be taking Lipex or other statins for the rest of my life I hope it helps someone else out there

Last edited by nuway; 03-31-2007 at 03:19 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to nuway For This Useful Post:
jimlee (08-25-2011)
Old 03-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
(female)

BamaC HB User
Re: High Colesterol and red yeast rice

nuway, my neice had TC of over 300 when she started taking red yeast rice. Two months later, her TC was 190. No side effects for her either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 04:54 AM   #3
(male)

nuway HB User

Its a wonderful 100% natural product,although you have to be careful and purchase a good product I read a study report conducted in Norway where they tested 10 red yeast rice products of the shelf eight of the samples had various amounts of Citrinic Acid an undesirable toxic substance which may be produced during the fermentation process.The eight samples which contained citrinic acid where the cheaper variations which is pretty true with most things in life.At the moment in the Western world there is a great deal of interest in red yeast rice,it has been mentioned in the Chinese Pharmacopia since 800AD.Also a good thing which is happening at the moment is the UCLA are conducting a clinical analysis of all red yeast rice available the results should be published soon this should help the general public make good informed decisions.Personnaly I use pure strain red yest rice I am not allowed to mention its name but shop around and go for the higher quality product I hope this helps you.I am just glad I do not have to take synthetic concentrated Statins for the rest of my life.And I hope its gets a few others off them to. all the best!!!

Old 03-18-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

nuway,

Red Yeast Rice IS a statin...low dose lovastatin. (Lipex is simvastatin, a stronger statin.)

Old 03-18-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
(male)

nuway HB User

Lenin You are correct red yeast rice contains about 0.4% Monokolin K which is Lovastatin.Compare this to a 20Mg synthetic dose of Simvastatin there is a big difference.What I said was I am glad I am not taking "SYNTHETIC CONCENTRATED STATINS".They are not sure but scientists believe it is a combination between the Monokolin K and the yeast that makes it work so well.

Last edited by nuway; 03-18-2007 at 09:31 AM.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
(female)

inacarr57 HB User

I just bought Red Yeast Rice. They are 600 mg. capsules. How much did you take?

Old 03-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #7
(male)

nuway HB User

The recommended dose on my product was two 600Mg capsules in the morning and two 600Mg capsules at night before going to bed, these two at night seem to be the most important as the liver produces cholesterol at night,you will see the maximum effect at six weeks at eight weeks you can have your levels retested and if they are pretty low you can try just one 600Mg in the morning and one 600Mg in the evening fine tune it to suit your needs

Old 03-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
(male)

jkhh HB User

I note that there are earlier threads on this topic and I am glad to see some new discussion on it. Can some of those with knowledge supply the name of any known standardized brands (or preferred brands, at least)?

I am wondering if RYR would have the same effect on me that Lescol XL (did). About 2 years ago, my family dr. prescribed it for 90 days. Basically, my numbers went from total of 250 untreated to about 210 or so. No big drop but still a drop. I found out that Lescol is a low-dose statin as compared to Crestor, etc.

Would most here think that RYR is going to be more effective than Cholestoff? I'm about a week into Cholestoff and 28 of those horse pills have not been fun .

Old 03-21-2007, 12:25 AM   #9
(male)

nuway HB User

HypoCol is a very good brand of pure strain red yeast rice,The reason I say this is I have seen a report on a clinical analysis of 10 of the shelf brands 8 contained citrinic acid an undesirable byproduct (toxic) which can be produced during the fermentation process I know HypoCol in manufactured to strict stringent quality control with no Citrinic Acid I found this out before I starting taking HypoCol. UCLA will soon publish there analysis of all currently available RYR which will help all Sorry but not sure about Cholestoff I hope someone else can help with this one

Last edited by nuway; 03-21-2007 at 12:28 AM.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #10
(female)

elsie3205 HB User

RYR had the same effect on me as did statins. After 6 days taking just 600 mg. a high quality RYR, my muscles hurt so bad I could hardly move. I didn't even have the strength to squeeze the trigger on a windex bottle.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

Did anyone have problems with R Y R causing heartburn. I was on it for years but had to stop because of the burning. I may just start it again though because I need something.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:23 AM   #12
(male)

nuway HB User

Perhaps we could hear from anyone out there taking red yeast rice who is having good results and maybe some numbers from their experience. Thanks

Last edited by nuway; 03-28-2007 at 03:24 AM.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:19 PM   #13
(male)

mmvic HB User

2 years with no problems. 260 TC to 160 TC with minor diet modifications. 1200 mgs at dinner and 1200 mgs at bedtime.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:47 AM   #14
(male)

nuway HB User

Those are really good numbers Many thanks mmvic

Last edited by nuway; 03-29-2007 at 02:48 AM.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #15
(female)

inacarr57 HB User

Nuway, can you please post your before and after numbers?

Closed Thread