It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
(female)

SwimmerGirl12 HB User
Birth Control and High Cholesterol?

I was off Yasmin for a very long time. I had a Cholesterol test in June 06. It was 183 non-fasting and i thought that was high. My good was 71, which is good, but the bad was high.

Then, I went on the pill July 06. I had another cholesterol test Aug 06. It was 260 total with the good still at 70. This WAS fasting.

The doc thought it was a fluke. He said he has never seen anything like that in a healthy, thin, 28 year old. I had even been exercising MORE in those two months and lost 10 pounds.

Jan 2007 I had another test and it was 260 exactly again. Everything was the same. I was still on pill.

I went off the pill two months ago. I had a test this month and it is 150. The good is still 70.

Isn't this strange to anyone? Could the pill have DONE this??

Old 04-29-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User
Re: Birth Control and High Cholesterol?

I dont know about the pill but i had the mirena iud for 2 years and my cholesterol was not good. I had it taken out and then a few months later had a cholesterol test done, the total count was a little better but my HDL went from 39 to 58.2 My numbers are not perfect but total went from 240 to 233 and LDL from 186 to 155.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

babygirl127 HB Userbabygirl127 HB User

I wonder if this is possible. I have been on b/c for a long time. I never had it checked before I went on them. But I noticed as one of the many, many side effects is high cholesterol.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
(female)

momtoaaj HB User

I know that progesterone can make your cholesterol go up. I have high cholesterol and I was told that my MD wouldn't even begin to do anything with it while I was pregnant (side effects of meds) and that the levels would show even higher because it was an IVF pregnancy, so I was on progesterone. So, yes the pills will make your cholesterol go up. Would they still be high without them? Who knows. Is there another option for BC? I have had a tubal ligation, so I am typically not taking the pill and now I just started Vytorin this week since my Total Cholesterol is over 300 and my Triglycerides is over 400.

What I have no idea is if you had a predisposition to hyperlipidemia and that the progesterone for the pill just showed you now what might have happened a little later in life anyhow. BTW-I am 33 today and I've had high cholesterol for around 7 years. I was going to try to fix it with diet and my MD said that it was just too high to do that.

Good luck with figureing out if you will stay on the pill and add a cholesterol lowering drug or just change your birth control. With your age, I don't really know that there is another option, unless you have all the kids you already want

Old 05-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
(female)

Sunshine 04 HB User

I was on b/c for 7 years, and my cholesterol was always around 240. After going off to have my kids, my overall levels went down to 180. I have been back on the pill for 6 months. I had fasting levels taken last week. My overall cholesterol is back up to 252 and my triglycerides are at an all time high of 301!

Old 05-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #6
(female)

kimberlaayyxo HB User

My mom has taken me off birth control a month ago [removed] because I had very high cholestoral. But my doctor told me I should wait two months to see if the cholestoral will go down if the pill was the thing that caused it. My mom said I could go back on it if my cholestoral wasn't affected, it's different for different people.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-16-2007 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Do not discuss your age outside of the Teen Boards

Old 05-17-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
(female)

babygirl127 HB Userbabygirl127 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine 04 View Post
I was on b/c for 7 years, and my cholesterol was always around 240. After going off to have my kids, my overall levels went down to 180. I have been back on the pill for 6 months. I had fasting levels taken last week. My overall cholesterol is back up to 252 and my triglycerides are at an all time high of 301!
Wow, thanks for that info. Very interesting. I would be curious to see what my numbers are when not on B/C. I will be on them till I no longer need them. Maybe another 10 years or so.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
(female)

looneybin HB User

I was intrigued by the title of this post as I have recently been diagnosed with dyslipidemia.

October 2004:
these numbers were very similar to my numbers back in 1992
LDL- 72
HDL- 34
Total- 120

Feb 2007
LDL- 183
HDL- 59
Total- 256

At this time I really did think about any med changes, but thought it must have been my wieght increase. Then, someone asked me about hormone use and at that point, I decided to stop using my Nuvaring for a while. So , after 2 months off the Nuvaring, here are my current numbers:

LDL- 135
HDL- 47
Total- 201

No diet changes, exercise, or weight loss, simply no Nuvaring for 2 months. I see the doctor next week, but I am trying to figure out if I should use the ring (for help with endometriosis symptoms) and go on a statin to control the lipids, or if I should stop using it all together. I am already experiencing negative effects of being off the ring, but I don't know if the statin therapy is the right thing to do?

Old 06-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

Right before I had I switched from Loestrin FE 24 I had my cholesterol tested and it was 285. I swtiched to Othro Cept and had my blood tested this week and 4 weeks later it's now 245. It dropped 40 points in a month. I ran across a site a while back that said BCP do affect your cholesterol. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 06-01-2007 at 06:37 PM.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

The consensus on most the sites say depending on risk factors, women on the pill should have their blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar regularly monitored. I read thatb birth control pills may raise bad cholesterol LDL and lower good cholesterol HDL. That's from a 2006 article.

My doctor or for that matter NONE of my doctors that wrote a script for BCP ever told me anything about these side effects.

Closed Thread