It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 11:51 PM   #1
(female)

branny HB User
Question Freaked about #'s, looking for advice

Hello,
We had a screening today at work by our various insurance companies to "Know your numbers, Know your risk." Well, I was curious and so I went...the numbers I got back were down right scary!!

Age 34
My TC is 253 (or somewhere around there)
My HDL is 43
My Tri are 432
My LDL was N/A

I am about 45 lbs overweight and I'm trying to work on that (stupid injuries don't help). I don't eat a lot of bad/fried/fatty foods - I drink about 1 can of dr. pepper a day, and I do have a family history of High Cholesterol and Heart Disease. I am limited in some of my physical activities - I have 6 screws and 2 steel rods in my lower back (degenerative disc disease L4-S1 fused at age 31), and 2 screws in my knee from an ACL reconstruction in October. I didn't read the body fine print that says you only get 1 per life. I also have a mild case of Hypothyrodism (take .37mcg Levothyroxine daily), allergies (take allegra 180 daily), ADHD, and get chronic migraines seasonally (Nov - Apr).

I've done some reading online within this forum and found a product called Nialor [removed] that seems to be a nice choice - though I'm concerned about the flushing from the niacin. My grandma has been on almost every med for her cholesterol and she has terrible side effects to them all. I've tried Niacin before and it was tolerable with asprin at 500mg, but when they jumped it to 1000mg I couldn't do it - the flushing was overpowering.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Nialor? Has suggestions on other ways to lower cholesterol...I'm freaked out right now and looking for some help! My dr is a putz and very little help when I can get in to see him (earliest is 1-1/2 months away).

Thanks!!
Branny

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-06-2007 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User
Re: Freaked about #'s, looking for advice

Well... It looks like your triglycerides are what is pushing you over the top.

Losing weight will help for sure... or it did for me.

If you are serious about lowering your cholesterol, I'd blow off the soda completely... and any alcoholic beverages.

And I'd eliminate sugar and and reduce carbs any way you can. Just eat fresh veggies, salads, only berries for fruit..., and cut way back on pasta, bread, potatoes, rice, chips, ans other such carbs.

I'm sure this will lower your triglycerides.

Good luck.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Freaked about #'s, looking for advice

Branny,

What form of niacin did you try to take that cause the flush at 1000 mg. If it was REGULAR niacin you will probably have no trouble with one of the time release formulations.

You seem to have what is called metabolic syndrome: overweight (often with abdominal fat), low HDL and very high triglycerides. Unfortunately it is often related to problems with sugar metabolism and early diabetes. See what you can find about the contition (Also called syndrome-X.)

A low sugar/low, no alcohol carb diet often helps. Weight control often helps a lot too even if it harder for metabolic syndrome people to accomplish.

There are meds that aim squarely at triglycerides which aren't too hard to tolerate.

Closed Thread