It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
(female)

wayover20 HB User
Going from 20 to 80mg Lipitor.....Lenin are you our there?

Hello, I haven't posted in a while but I am 50yrs young female with high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Oh yea, and I've just completed surgery and chemotherapy for breast cancer. Although I'm sick and tired of doctors, I had to go see my primary for a routine check and he found my (sorry I don't have all the numbers) cholesterol was 250, down from 271 six months ago.

I've been on lipitor 20mg daily but today he increased the dose to 80mg and I'm wondering is that "ok"? The doctor said "we have to get that number down" and that's the best way. I told him I've been really changing my diet by eating alot of fresh fruits and veggies, little red meat, no sodas or sweets. Also, as soon as this fatigue goes away from the chemo, I have a treadmill waiting on me.

This cancer scare was a big one---life changing--and I am determined to take care of myself from now on. I am about 50 pounds overweight and I'm hoping with these changes I can get rid of the BP med (benicar that works great) as well as the lipitor...is that a reasonable goal?

I'm really concerned about going from 20 to 80mg all at once. He wants to see me again in 1 month.
Thanks, Pat

Old 07-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User
Re: Going from 20 to 80mg Lipitor.....Lenin are you our there?

I wouldn't do it... it's bad enough you are taking 20. While 250 isn't good... it doesn't warrent a dramtic increase in Meds.

Lenin takes Lipitor and niacin... and seems to be good with that. I reduced my total cholesterol over the last year from 328 to 195 with Niaspan... something even the statins couldn't do for me.

If you take statins, keep as low a dose as you can stand. Try Lenin's cocktail... seems to work for him... or try Niaspan (just niacin... which is Vitamin B-3).

Good luck.

PS... don't jump to 80... that's crazy talk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Venture man is right. You should be given a chance to lose weight, make adjustments to your diet, get plenty of exercise (if you are feeling up to it now.) Your body has been through a LOT of assaults already. Unless you are at an immediate and very high risk of a cardiovascular event, I don't see what your doctor's reasoning is. You need a break from the drugs, your system needs to be purged of them. You can get your cholesterol reduced on your existing dose of Lipitor, exercise, plus lifestyle changes.

Good luck!
Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 07-12-2007 at 05:11 PM.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayover20 View Post
..... I've just completed surgery and chemotherapy for breast cancer. .....
The other thing to consider is that both cholesterol and ubiquinone are powerful antioxidants. Amongst other things, they enable your body to fight against cancer. So,bearing in mind your medical history, do you really want to use Lipitor to inhibit you liver's production of these substances? Total cholesterol of 250 really isn't that high. And, according to the nursing study, the use of statins by women provides no overall mortality benefit anyway.

Mark

Last edited by Mark1e; 07-12-2007 at 06:09 PM.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
(male)

mmvic HB User

High cholesterol in older young women, and for that matter men, has shown little or no correlation to cardiac events or increased life span based on the Framingham study. Your doctor needs to do some reading. Taking statins after recent cancer treatment and chemo is assinine and your doctor borders on criminal. Get another doctor and opinion.

Last edited by mmvic; 07-12-2007 at 09:03 PM.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:20 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmvic View Post
High cholesterol in older young women, and for that matter men, has shown little or no correlation to cardiac events or increased life span based on the Framingham study. Your doctor needs to do some reading. Taking statins after recent cancer treatment and chemo is assinine and your doctor borders on criminal. Get another doctor and opinion.
do you have anything to back this up? my dad is on chemo and his doc said to keep taking lipitor, and we questioned it, but don't have any proof that it's a bad idea, just gut feelings... thanks!

Old 07-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

over20,

I wouldn't do it either...if you DO develop serious side effects and then CANNOT take a statin where will that leave you?
Go to 40 mg. (but continue to BUY the 80's and split them...it's cheapest that way. )

I'm surprised you got such a small response with 20 mg. Lipitor...most people cut their cholesterol in half. Perhaps the chemotherapy is interfering with the Lipitor...not unlikely!

I think the only persons who should try 80 mg. Lipitor are those with considerable plaque deposits and heart disease who want to get their LDL's below 70 in order to reduce the plaques.

I think the 50 pound weight loss is likely to let you flush away the Benicar...good luck.

Can you break down your cholesterol numbers further: HDL, LDL, triglycerides?

Is it possible that BOTH the numbers you reported were while taking 20 mg. Lipitor?

Last edited by Lenin; 07-13-2007 at 05:35 AM.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
(female)

wayover20 HB User

Yes Lenin, both number were while on the 20mg.

Last night I just did not want to take the 80mg so I took 40 and today I'm calling my dr. to tell him. I'm glad you suggested 40mg as well. I have had (knock on wood) no cardiac events, only my grandmother had cardiomegaly and then later a massive heart attack that killed her. Neither of my parents, siblings, aunts or uncles on either side have any heart problems.

So I have to go with my gut on this. I should have spoken up yesterday when he told me to go to 80. I'm going to see if they'll fax me the lipid panel from last time. Let you all know.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

I'm just echoing Lenin's advice to go with 40 for awhile and see what happens...it makes no sense to me that the doc would make such a precipitous increase without trying 40 for at least 3 months first.

I've had excellent control with 40 mg. Lipitor (and Niaspan to increase my HDL). But I have heart disease (diagnosed shortly after my 54th birthday) so I am comfortable with a higher dose. It also matters what your other readings are, e.g. LDL, HDL, triglycerides: if your HDL is high, that is good as it is protective, but it can also increase your total.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #10
(female)

wayover20 HB User

I just got off the phone with drs. office. Of course I couldn't talk with him but I asked the nurse to fax me any lipid panels they have in my record AND I told her to tell the dr. I will not be taking the 80mg as he advised. I am taking instead 40mg.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #11
(female)

wayover20 HB User

Ok, here are the numbers and they are dated 4/11/07 which is during the time I was undergoing chemo:
Cholesterol: 251
Triglyceri : 294
HDL : 41
"calculated" LDL chol: 151
Risk ratio LDL/HDL : 3.69

What I find odd is that the dr. never called me to discuss these results back in April so I thought they were ok. Not until yesterday's visit and me ASKING how they came out did he then say I had to go up to 80 on the lipitor. They drew more labs yesterday with another lipid panel so we'll see how that comes out.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:42 PM   #12
(female)

wayover20 HB User

....and I was on 20 of lipitor already.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #13
(female)

wayover20 HB User

Just a little about me: I don't smoke, drink maybe one beer every 6 months, I don't care for sweets at all. My downfall is colas, rice, potatoes, chips and salty stuff. I prefer chicken over beef and love seafood although I don't cook it myself. We use margarine thinking it's "better" than butter and I like 2% milk and drink water like crazy especially in the summer.

In the past week I have stopped adding salt to my food, stopped all colas but find the hardest to give up or avoid is the rice and potatoes...but I'm going to do it.

by the way, is butter better??

Old 07-13-2007, 08:34 PM   #14
(male)

mmvic HB User

mcr285, [removed] Chemo and statins are both clearanced by your liver. The chemo is typically very toxic so you don't want to overload your system. Additionally both drugs can produce nueropathy. Check with your oncologist, NOT your primary physician (pill pusher) about this.

As to the lack of correlation between cholesterol, heart disease and mortality after about ~ 50 and especially for women [removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-13-2007 at 08:43 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find websites.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:32 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

wayover,

Firstly, I wouldn't fully trust any blood lipiud readings while on hcemotherapy...after all, these drugs are made to kill body cells and god knows what THAT causes to be dumped into the bloodstream.

You problem seems to be Metabolic Syndrome, high triglycerides low HDL. Remember, a calculated LDL adds a factor of 1/5 of triglycerides...so 50 of your 150 LDL is caused by tryglycerides. There are drugs that specifically target tri's.

Quote:
My downfall is colas, rice, potatoes, chips
I recommend you keep the rice and potatoes but replace the colas with DIET colas (sugar is a sure way to raise triglycerides.)
and potato chips are just salt and grease...plain old BAD food.
Are you overweight, if so, trim down.

I agree, call your oncologist and ask him if the chemo drugs are skewing/screwing your lipid profile. I would be very much surprised if they are not. Also remember to tell your oncologist BEFORE anymore chemo treatments that you are on 40 mg. Lipitor...it might influence the dose of the chemo agent.

Closed Thread