It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Mr. Detail HB User
Low dose aspirin (81 mg.)

Does anyone have a recommendation on the best time of day (if any) to take a low dose, 81 mg. aspirin? Or should I take two 81 mg. aspirins and spread them out as in am/pm? I thought I read a psot here awhile back that stated there were better cholesterol results by taking more than just 81 mg.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User
Re: Low dose aspirin (81 mg.)

I've never heard of aspirin helping with cholesterol... where did you read that...?

In fact, I have read that elevated cholesterol level will actually interfere with aspirin's ability to reduce heart attacks. That is, 60% of those with T-C 220 or higher received no benefit from aspirin, bit it did help 80% of those with T-C of 180 and lower.

So... my take on this is that cholesterol needs to be lowered first before deciding to add aspirin to your regiment of heart desease medications.

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 07-17-2007 at 09:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Mr. Detail HB User

Ventureman, so what does this mean for those with Total Cholesterol numbers between 180 and 220? Are they in limbo?

Old 07-18-2007, 05:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

If you are taking niacin, taking an aspirin with or 1/2 hour before you take the niacin may help reduce flushing. Otherwise, I don't think it matters when you take the aspirin.

The purpose of taking an aspirin is that it reduces the "stickiness" of platelets, thereby reducing the likelihood of a blood clot that would cause a heart attack. I have not seen anything that suggests a relationship between aspirin use and cholesterol level (but I suppose it is possible, and I certainly haven't read every study).

There are bleeding and gastric risks of taking aspirin everyday, so you really should discuss it with your doctor before self-medicating in this way.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Echoing what Connie said, the time of day doesn't matter at all. When aspirin attaches to a platelet it makes that platelet semi-immune to clumping and the effect lasts for the life of the platelet...about 7-10 days. Thus you must take it every day because about 10-15% of your platelets are made anew every day...and the new ones must be protected.

I have read in several places that over 25% of people will NOT be adequately protected with an 81 mg. dose and that percentage drops steadily with increasing dosage. Another study has shown there is a buset of peoplke who responded to 81 mg at first but very soon (week or two) needed more to get the anti-clumping effect.

Some doctors are now recommending 162 mg./day. I feel that 325mg. is wisest for people without gastric symptoms...a heart attack, especiallyn for people WITH heart disease, is just too awful to flirt with just because doctors are trying to cover their judicial risk.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-18-2007 at 07:13 AM.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie122516 View Post
.... I have not seen anything that suggests a relationship between aspirin use and cholesterol level ......
A study done by University of Maryland found that 2 out of 3 patients with cholesterol levels above 240 mg/dL still had platelet aggregation, in spite of daily 325mg aspirin. It kinda suggests that this doesn't work for most of the people who need it most.

Mark

Last edited by Mark1e; 07-18-2007 at 07:19 PM.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
(male)

mmvic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
Echoing what Connie said, the time of day doesn't matter at all. When aspirin attaches to a platelet it makes that platelet semi-immune to clumping and the effect lasts for the life of the platelet...about 7-10 days. Thus you must take it every day because about 10-15% of your platelets are made anew every day...and the new ones must be protected.

I have read in several places that over 25% of people will NOT be adequately protected with an 81 mg. dose and that percentage drops steadily with increasing dosage. Another study has shown there is a buset of peoplke who responded to 81 mg at first but very soon (week or two) needed more to get the anti-clumping effect.

Some doctors are now recommending 162 mg./day. I feel that 325mg. is wisest for people without gastric symptoms...a heart attack, especiallyn for people WITH heart disease, is just too awful to flirt with just because doctors are trying to cover their judicial risk.
I've read many strokes and heart attacks either happen overnight or shortly after waking. Some recommendations I've seen say to take asprin when going to bed. I cheat and take 81 mg in the morning and 81 mg at bedtime.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:01 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Mr. Detail HB User

mmvic;

So what is your situation as far as cholesterol numbers and whether you are on a statin or not? Just trying to find out whether or not it would be beneficial for me to take an 81 mg. aspirin in the am/pm like yourself.
My numbers are TC=225, LDL=156, HDL=39, no drugs of any kind, just lots of supplements.

Connie says, "There are bleeding and gastric risks of taking aspirin everyday, so you really should discuss it with your doctor before self-medicating in this way."

I consider my family doctor someone who helps me when I need an antibiotic for a flu bug, sinus infection or my annual physical. He is the one that is pushing me towards taking a statin with no alternatives.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:50 PM   #9
(male)

mmvic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Detail View Post
mmvic;

So what is your situation as far as cholesterol numbers and whether you are on a statin or not? Just trying to find out whether or not it would be beneficial for me to take an 81 mg. aspirin in the am/pm like yourself.
My numbers are TC=225, LDL=156, HDL=39, no drugs of any kind, just lots of supplements.

Connie says, "There are bleeding and gastric risks of taking aspirin everyday, so you really should discuss it with your doctor before self-medicating in this way."

I consider my family doctor someone who helps me when I need an antibiotic for a flu bug, sinus infection or my annual physical. He is the one that is pushing me towards taking a statin with no alternatives.

TC generally around 180 ish or lower, HDL still around 60 plus. Started 3 years ago at 260 and 60 (although after gorging on mucho shrimp! - a true weakness). Vegetarian/pescatarian diet and I use RYR and plant sterols, no statins. I've been a mega supplement/vitamin proponent of Linus Pauling for 25 years. Intensive excercise 3 to 5 times a week running 8 to 12 miles and walking 10 miles plus weights and stretching. I do my own reading and research. I take asprin as a smart, low risk choice based on my own judgement and the same holds true for my other choices. Assimilate all the available data, analyze and decide! Comes from my physics background.

Last edited by mmvic; 07-19-2007 at 08:51 PM.

Closed Thread