It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
(female)

boubou HB User
super high cholesterol (308) and naturopathy

Here's the deal! I am a 42 years old female, 5 feet 4 inches @ 165lbs (168 lbs last week prior to my "awakening"
My physician suggested "watching" my diet as well as weight loss prior to medication. since finding this out last week, I am now motivated. I've changed my diet to now include lots of fruits and veggies as well as fish and cutting out all the bad cholesterol food that I can control. I'm doing well I think. I also started exercising more regularly.
I've lost 3 lbs in a week and I never went hungry...just different food choices.
I wanted a little more help so I called a Naturopath. The initial appointment lasted over 1.5 hours! I'm pretty excited about this, since I just didn't know how much vitamins to take and how to balance proteins, carbs and fat "just right"
She sold me (of course, but she truly wasn't pushy in sales) ULTRAMEAL PLUS from Metagenics. This is a meal supplement not a replacement, unless I choose to make it so with added berries or such.
it has Beta-sitosterol and other plant sterols
the canister says" Nutrional support for the management of conditions associated with metabloic syndrome and cardiovascular disease. Including hypercholesterolemia (us), hypertryglyceridemia and hypertension.
I'm also taking Green tea capsules, garlic and a multi-vitamin
I have given up (oh so soon!) on the cholesterol MD has it had (made me wonder) NO values on their contents.

Anyone ever taken this mix?
I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Last edited by boubou; 08-02-2007 at 01:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2007, 04:28 AM   #2
(female)

boubou HB User
Lightbulb Re: super high cholesterol (308) and naturopathy

Here we are 9 days into my new lifestyle, I've lost 4 lbs so far and not going hungry, just missing the cheeseburgers, pizza, icecream and buttertarts!

Old 08-04-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: super high cholesterol (308) and naturopathy

Quote:
She sold me (of course, but she truly wasn't pushy in sales) ULTRAMEAL PLUS from Metagenics. This is a meal supplement not a replacement, unless I choose to make it so with added berries or such.
it has Beta-sitosterol and other plant sterols
the canister says" Nutrional support for the management of conditions associated with metabloic syndrome and cardiovascular disease. Including hypercholesterolemia (us), hypertryglyceridemia and hypertension.
Boubou,

Way to go! I am glad to hear you are doing so well! You are already seeing results in just one week after implementing lifestyle changes. Your cholesterol is really high. While it won't hurt to try the natural product, eventually you might need the help of a medication to bring your cholesterol to a safer level. The dietary changes are necessary and should be for life.

Would you mind posting the main ingredients of the Ultrameal Plus? (If listed on the label). I am curios to see what they put in it since it is (allegedly) a natural product used to treat multiple ailments.

Thank you,
Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-04-2007 at 02:37 PM.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
(female)

boubou HB User

Thanks for your encouragement! I would rather not take meds but if I need to then so be it. I suspect that it's so high due to my weight tho. 164lbs on 5 foot 4 inches is pretty heavy.
Anyways...here's the ingredients for Ultrameal plus, let me know what you think, I'm pretty dense (no pun intended!) in this matter.

Taken from the product label

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING (DUTCH CHOCOLATE):
Calories 160
Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 0.5 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 170 mg
Potassium (as potassium chloride and potassium iodide) 660 mg
Carbohydrate 24 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Protein† 15 g
Vitamin A (as retinyl palmitate) 1,750 IU
Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 60 mg
Calcium (as dicalcium phosphate) 600 mg
Iron 3 mg
Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) 40 IU
Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl acetate) 11 IU
Thiamin (as thiamin HCl) 0.75 mg
Riboflavin 0.85 mg
Niacin (as niacinamide) 10 mg
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl) 25 mg
Folate (as folic acid and L-5-methyl tetrahydrofolate††) 400 mcg
Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin) 30 mcg
Biotin 150 mcg
Pantothenic Acid (as D-calcium pantothenate) 5 mg
Phosphorus (as dicalcium phosphate) 500 mg
Iodine (as potassium iodide) 75 mcg
Magnesium (as magnesium citrate) 190 mg
Zinc (as zinc gluconate) 9 mg
Copper (as copper gluconate) 1 mg
Manganese 0.7 mg
Chromium (as chromium polynicotinate) 100 mcg
Isoflavones 17 mg
Plant Sterols (including beta-sitosterol and other plant sterols) 2,000 mg
Other Ingredients Soy protein isolate† (PharmaSoy®) (soy), fructose, Dutch processed cocoa, plant sterols (soy), maltodextrin, soy fiber (soy), corn bran, natural flavors, natural chocolate flavors, lecithin (soy), olive oil, cellulose gum, xanthan, and carrageenan.
Contains:soy.

Last edited by boubou; 08-04-2007 at 05:41 PM.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Boubou,

The list of ingredients reminded me of my multivitamin with minerals. It sounded very similar. So guess what I did?
Got out my bottle of Centrum Gold for comparison. Without going into details, compared to my multi, there's a higher concentration of minerals, as well as some of the vitamins in your product. It's good for you, no doubt, as far as the multis go.

As for the cholesterol and blood pressure reducing properties of Ultrameal Plus.....The ingredients you so painstainkingly listed sound ordinary for the most part.

I think that the product description ...nutritional support for management of...
is somewhat misleading. It's nothing more than a multivitamin/mineral drink. Don't be surprised if you don't see much of a difference in your numbers. However, any weight loss it might help you achieve will help tremendeously.
Was it expensive?

Flowergirl

Old 08-05-2007, 05:08 AM   #6
(female)

boubou HB User

Thanks so much flowergirl!
well, yea, expensive enough. I plan on taking it for about a month then switch to a good multi-vitamin.
Is your cholesterol high? How do you manage your's?
What caused it to get high?

Old 08-05-2007, 06:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

boubou,

There is ONE active ingredient that is proven to lower cholesterol:

Plant Sterols (including beta-sitosterol and other plant sterols) 2,000 mg

Whether or not you can get that in a cheaper formulation, I'm not sure, but my guess is YES.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:54 AM   #8
(female)

boubou HB User

Lenin:
I am reading The new 8 week cholesterol cure by Robert E. Kowalski and he is adament that phytosterols really work, this has been researched and proven time and time again.
The author mentioned the availability of phytosterols in tablet forms which are effective.

I plan on checking it out some time but will stick to the supplement I'm using now for a while before.
Thanks again for your replies!

Last edited by moderator2; 08-05-2007 at 11:09 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 08-06-2007, 05:16 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

boubou,
There is no DOUBT that they work. The problem is that the effect is not great and that taken in large enough quantities, the seterols and stanols can get $$pricey$$.

We once, long ago, had a discussion here on the cheapest way to get a gram (or 2 grams, the recommended minimum) of sterols but I can't remember which product WON.
The stuff is added to certain brands of margerine, orange juice and yoghurt and sold in some fairly cheap(er) capsule preparations in the health food store.

Even the US FDA has allowed the claim "heart healthy" to be made for products that contain a certain amount of phyto's: "at least .65 grams of plant sterol esters per serving or at least 1.7 grams of plant stanol esters per serving."
Researchers get from 10-15% reduction in LDL when using >2 grams/day.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:34 AM   #10
(female)

boubou HB User

I'm really new at this and find it all so confusing.
It's clear that you guys and gals know what you are talking about!
thanks for this forum
I'll shop around and see if I can find capsules
thanks for the help

Old 08-07-2007, 03:54 AM   #11
(female)

boubou HB User

[QUOTE=Researchers get from 10-15% reduction in LDL when using >2 grams/day.[/QUOTE]
That's a pretty good reduction when added to all the other lifechanges like proper diet and exercise.
thanks again for your help!

Closed Thread