It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 07:46 AM   #1
(female)

Love2Read HB User
Anyone successfully lower cholesterol by diet and exercise?

If you have, can I ask how you did it and how much your numbers dropped? I have high cholesterol and the Dr. is giving me 8 weeks to see if I can lower the numbers on my own.

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User
Re: Anyone successfully lower cholesterol by diet and exercise?

You never know... but I doubt most can as your liver makes the majority of chlesterol your body needs... if not 100% of the cholesterol. The issue is when it makes too much.

I cut out all cholesterol and animal fat from my diet for 9 months... and my cholesterol went through the roof.

You should still eat properly and exercise, but don't be surprised if the only result is a healthier person that still has high cholesterol.

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 08-16-2007 at 07:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
(female)

boubou HB User

Same here, I've changed my diet to heart healthy and lots of exercise as well as taking phytosterols, red yeast rice, coQ10, garlick, multi, fish oil, green tea.
I'm giving all I can and see the results. It's been three weeks now and I've lost 8 lbs
I need to loose another 15...hope it all helps!

Old 08-16-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
(male)

Mikedondo HB User

Don't expect too much of a drop from dieting. I am not obese but lost 20 lbs, TC went from 260 to 230.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
(female)

boubou HB User

given the dietary changes, more exercise, weight loss and supplement I am taking, how much should my cholesterol drop over time?

Old 08-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
(female)

funnyesq HB User

Mine went down with Niacin (no flush)...but consult a doctor because too much can wreck havoc with the liver. I take 1500 mg a day. Plus the Red Yeast Rice extract, Fish Oil and some other stuff. LDL dropped about 30 points or 20% HDL still same which is relatively high so I'm good with ratios.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
(female)

boubou HB User

Arrrggg.. I hope this works. My cholesterol was 232 and I didn't change a thing 16 months ago and shot up to 320 (along with an extra 10 lbs)
if it all that doesn't work, I guess I'll try niacin added to the concoction and if that fails...meds for me

Last edited by boubou; 08-16-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:53 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Don't confuse niacin with not being a medication. Niacin in high doses, even with OTC niacin, is a medication.

If you have insurance, I suggest you try Niaspan. I think you will have better luck with reducing side effects. Some of the anti Niaspan folks on this board are against Niaspan due to cost (price)... not due to product and how well it works.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:56 AM   #9
(female)

boubou HB User

I am confused, some here say that diet and exercise won't change much since cholesterol is produced mostly by the liver...then why bother?
I am not taking this cavalier attitude of just giving in but I'd like to know that loosing the weight, a good diet and exercise as well as the supplement will help considerably. I'm wondering if I should not just add niacin now (on top of phytosterols, ryr and fish oil that I'm already taking) or wait until the next blood test, see where things are.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Boubou,

Quote:
(on top of phytosterols, ryr and fish oil that I'm already taking)
Where did you find the red yeast rice? I was told at the health food stores it's not available in Canada when I went looking for it.

FG

Old 08-17-2007, 07:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

U.S. FDA has just issued a WARNING about several Chinese red yeast rice products.

As far as an outright BAN, all I can find is that Germany bans its sale.
I don't think Canada does though. In fact, while RYR was banned in the USA, many people ordered it from Canada.

Last edited by Lenin; 08-17-2007 at 07:40 AM.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #12
(male)

puhonien11 HB User

I just recently dropped my Total Cholesterol by 82 in just two months through diet and exercise.

Diet-wise I'm doing the typical cholesterol lowering diet: high fiber, as much fresh vegetables and fruit as possible, no trans fat, no dairy, etc.

Supplements taken are: fish oil, "Fiber Blend" (from the Vitamin Shoppe)

I joined a gym where I do cardio for 40 minutes three days a week and arm/chest/ab weight training on machines also on two of those days.

Original Results: HDL-50 LDL-174 Tri-93 TC-243
After 2 months: HDL-44 LDL-108 Tri-47 TC-161

I can definitely say it's worth a try!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou
I am not taking this cavalier attitude of just giving in but I'd like to know that loosing the weight, a good diet and exercise as well as the supplement will help considerably. I'm wondering if I should not just add niacin now (on top of phytosterols, ryr and fish oil that I'm already taking) or wait until the next blood test, see where things are.

You sound like me when I was first diagnosed with high cholesterol.

Everyone is sooooo different when it come this health issue. You may be one of the lucky people where diet and exercise work. I don't think there are many in this category, however.

So... I'm going to say to you what my Doctor said to me when I took your attitude of dealing with high cholesterol:

"What do you think you are going to do the rest of your life... eat food you really don't like... ignore parties and situations because of your cholesterol...? Do you think you are going to exercise dutifully the rest of your life...?

The answer is No! You may be able to keep up the regimine for 6 months to a year, but you will faulter... you will want a piece of pizza... you will want a BBQ burger or BBQ'd ribs... you will want Prime rib at Christmas... if you haven't been previously exercising daily, you will get tired of constant exercise. To think you can give up all the foods you like and exercise for the rest of your life is just plain not realistic.

You are way more likely to succeed in lowering your cholesterol by using a medication."

How's that for a frank talk from my Doctor...? I have to say after 16 years of dealing with high cholesterol, he is right on the money. Wayyyy difficult to eat correctly everyday... unless you are a Munk hidden away on a mountain top. Same with execise if fitness was not already your lifestyle.

Having given you my Doctor's spiel, here is some of my experiences during my 16 years of trying to control my cholesterol.

My experience with low fat diets is that my cholesterol went through the roof. I ate zero animal fat for 9 months.

The problem with low fat is you end up eating a whole lot of carbs. And carbs can really raise your triglycerides and LDL.

I have had much better luck on diets low in carbs. Fat didn't make a difference... and still doesn't. I don't eat too much red meat... I eat mostly chicken... always have. That's another reason my Doctor wanted to put me on meds... I've always eaten fresh food made at home and not too much fat.

Exercise is good for your health regardless... and may help a tad... but in my case it didn't help much. The problem is that cholesterol is made in the liver... and in my case, it appears that nearly 100% of the cholesterol in my blood is produced by my liver, so low fat doesn't help me directly with lowering my cholesterol.

I did Atkins... low carbs... which was great because I lost a lot of weight and my HDL improved 25%. But my overall cholesterol numbers were still unacceptable. But still much better than the low-fat diet I did.

Statins work fairly well, but I did not ever like the side effects. I tried three different statins for a couple years each. One of the statins I was taking was removed from the market because it was killing folks. I won't ever consider statins again as a form of treatment.

I tried a prescription Bile acid sequestrants... but you had to take about 16 pills a day at intervals. After a week of this, I knew I wouldn't continue for the rest of my life with a regimine like this, so I stopped taking them.

The latest med I started about a year ago is Niaspan... it's extended release niacin... which is just vitamin B-3. All my cholesterol numbers dropped about 50% form taking Niaspan, so now I'm a Niaspan advocate. For the first time in 16 years my cholesterol numbers are in the "normal" range.

So... my short answer is, yes, eat and exercise the best you can... but also don't deprive yourself too much... eat some of the foods you have grown to enjoy, too. But I would look further into Niaspan... to see if that would work for you, and if you can afford it or have insurance for it. You take it once a day at bedtime. And it's just vitamin B-3. Not everyone goes without side effects on Niaspan either. Some find the flushing intollerable, others like me, no issues at all. But you will never know until you try it.

Good luck.

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 08-17-2007 at 10:04 AM.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Lutheran122 HB User

What foods did you eat when you did low fat , which foods were so high in carbs? I am sticking with beans , chicken , turkey , hot and cold vegetables , fruits , almonds and walnuts in real small amounts , whole wheat pasta and low fat sauce , oatmeal , non fat milk , salmon and other non shelled fish...i can stick with this forever as I am tired of eating badly..i never in my life ate this good for 3 days in a row let alone forever but i can do it..i also am up to 1.2 miles a day really fast walking and will increase that distance every week. It is hard but I want to live till at least 60...having heart disease at 42 is a *****.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:34 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

High carb foods include potatoes, rice, pasta, flour, bread, carrots, sweet potatoes, most fruits (low carb fruit incluses berries and peaches).

Most fresh vegies and shrooms are great to eat.

I wouldn't worry about cutting out all fat from your diet. Cheese is just fine in small amounts... like on a BBQ turkey burger, of in a salad. Stick with Jack, cheddar, and other 'hard' cheeses, like Motz and Parm.

Gennerally, if you cut out all the high carbs food above and all snack food, you can eat pretty darn well as most meat, cheese, fresh vegies, and eggs are fine to eat.

It's cutting out the snacks and four products that is the killer... like pizza.

What I do for pizza is just eat the cheese and toppings.

Eating correctly is a hard life... but it can be done.

Closed Thread