It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
(male)

Arizona77 HB User
Trying to raise HDL with Niacin please advise

I am currently taking 1,000mg Immediate release Niacin at bed time to help raise my HDL under my doctor’s approval and under his care. He approved of me taking 1,000mg Niacin a day and I am due to have another lipid panel done in February. I am slightly confused on what form of Niacin will be best to raise my HDL. My Doctor advised I can take either time released Niacin or immediate release. I tried slo-niacin 500mg twice a day for a week and had no issues. Now I am on 1,000mg immediate release Niacin one 1,000mg capsule at bed time. Just wanted to ask what would be best. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Re: Trying to raise HDL with Niacin please advise

From everything I've read the immediate release Niacin is the most effective and safest of the two. Since the immediate release is not harmful to the liver those who can tolerate it gradually work their way up to as much as 3000mg. I would guess that if your doing ok with the 1000mg in about a month the doctor might suggest going to 1500mg. The flush will most likely return but after a while your body will adjust and the flush will go away or weaken. The important thing to remember is if you miss a dose you should return to back to your original starting dose or the flush could be very severe. I've heard of this happening to people who just missed taking it for I day. I know a few people who take it and after they finally got comfortable with the flush they claim the kinda like it. They say its kinda weird but they like the way they feel afterward. Good luck and hope you see some good improvement in the HDL.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
(male)

Arizona77 HB User

Thanks Red60….I have been on Niacin for over a month now and the flush at first was real tuff but now it does not bother me at all. In fact as you mentioned I feel very calm for many hours after I take the Niacin. My only concern right now is that I take Red Yeast Rice to keep my LDL under control. My Doctor said it was fine for me to take both Red Yeast Rice and Niacin. I just do not want to over load my liver. Red Yeast Rice has worked so well for me and I would hate to drop it. I hope that 1,000mg of Niacin will help raise my HDL. Right now my HDL is at 42. I hope that adding this my HDL will improve by my next lipid panel which I will have done this coming February.

Last edited by Arizona77; 10-01-2007 at 10:15 PM.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Immediate release Niacin is the benchmark for all other forms of niacin to compare to. The reason other forms of niacin were developed is that most can't take the flushing from immediate release Niacin.

If you are having luck taking immediate release Niacin, then you should not have any issue with your liver and should also get the best results. Try your best to achieve the 2000 mg dossage. You are one of the lucky few that can tollerate immediate release Niacin.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
(male)

The Mayor HB User

Arizona77, can you please tell me if it matters what brand of "immediate release" niacin you are taking? I have read in the past about the prescription "Niaspan" but I think that is something else. I was taking Inositol hexacosinate for awhile. Not sure which is which.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
(male)

Arizona77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
Arizona77, can you please tell me if it matters what brand of "immediate release" niacin you are taking? I have read in the past about the prescription "Niaspan" but I think that is something else. I was taking Inositol hexacosinate for awhile. Not sure which is which.
Hi Mayor,

I take one twin labs 1,000mg capsule at bed time. Niaspan is time released Niacin available by prescription only. To my understanding Niacin in the from of Inositol hexacosinate, non-flush form, is not as effective as straight Nicotinic acid which is pure Niacin, Vitamin B3. My Doctor advised me to take twin labs 1,000mg pure
Nicotinic acid-Niacin with flush is best as opposed to non-flush Inositol hexacosinate. When I first started Niacin the flush was real hard to get threw for about two weeks but now I tolerate it very well. Also each brand of Niacin will be different as there is no 1:1 ratio with all brands. It is best when taking Niacin to stick with one brand and then you will know what will work best. Please be sure to check with your Doctor before starting any Niacin therapy . Hope this helps.

Last edited by Arizona77; 10-02-2007 at 05:25 PM.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Quote:
I have read in the past about the prescription "Niaspan" but I think that is something else.
I can attest to how great Niaspan is and works. It cut my cholesterol numbers 50% and increased my HDL more than 25%. And the side effects are reduced greately compared to immediate release niacin. Niaspan is considered a extended release niacin and is designed to work without causing damage to your liver like Slo-Niacin can and does.

I should also say that any high dose of anything can hurt your liver... just that Slo-Niacin has a history of wrecking havic on folk's livers.

If you have insurance that pays for prescriptions... I'd blow by the immediate release niacin and try Niaspan... you will get was less side effects than the immediate release.

The best tip I can give is to take Niaspan only at bedtime (this is how it's prescribed)... and it's best if taken an hour or two since last eating.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 10-02-2007 at 06:48 PM.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
(male)

Arizona77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureMan View Post
I can attest to how great Niaspan is and works. It cust my cholesterol number 50% and increased my HDL more than 15%. And the side effects are reduced greately compared to immediate release niacin. Niaspan is considered a extended release niacin and is designed to work without causing damage to your liver like Slo-Niacin can and does.

I should also say that any high dose of anything can hurt your liver... just that Slo-Niacin has a history of wrecking havic on folk's livers.

If you have insurance that pays for prescriptions... I'd blow by the immediate release niacin and try Niaspan... you will get was less side effects than the immediate release.

The best tip I can give is to take Niaspan only at bedtime (this is how it's prescribed)... and it's best if taken an hour or two since last eating.

Best of luck.
Hi Ventureman,

I agree with you completely and know that Niaspan is an excellent option for those that do not want to take statins. I can not attest but what I have heard from many Niaspan has worked great them. I am happy I stopped slo-niacin. My Doctor said no way with
slo-niacin as you mentioned it can cause all sorts of problems with long time usage since the pharmacology is completely different than prescription Niaspan. My Doctor wants me to stick with the 1,000mg immediate release and see how it works for me before he makes any changes.

Last edited by Arizona77; 10-02-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #9
(male)

The Mayor HB User

Arizona77;
When you first started taking the IR "Immediate release" niacin did you start out with say 250 mg. per day for one week and then bump it up progressively? I really want to try the IR first before I go to any prescription
version. Just afraid i won't eb able to tolerate it but I know from reading, that the IR niacin is the one for least amount of side effects to your liver.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #10
(male)

Arizona77 HB User

Hi Mayor,

I started at 500mg a day for about three weeks and then increased to 1,000mg once a day. I should have started at 250mg because I am so sensitive to to the flush. When I first started I had a slight headache everyday for about three weeks and has since gone away. Some people will have a slight headache when starting Niacin. Also at 1,000mg a day I still flush bad but I am used to it and it does not bother me at all. It is best to start as you stated 250mg a day and after two weeks if you are tolerating it well increase to 500mg and so on. If you take more than 500mg you would want to do it under a Doctor's care and supervision.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #11
(male)

The Mayor HB User

Quote:
If you take more than 500mg you would want to do it under a Doctor's care and supervision.
Arizona77, when you say under a doctor's care and supervision, I find myself alot of the time these days telling the doctor what I want to do as opposed to him directing me (i.e. you should be taking a statin). Do you mean that I should notify him when I get above 500 mg. per day? In my mind, actual supervision would mean that he would order blood work every 3 months or so
and check my results.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #12
(male)

Arizona77 HB User

Quote:
Arizona77, when you say under a doctor's care and supervision, I find myself alot of the time these days telling the doctor what I want to do as opposed to him directing me (i.e. you should be taking a statin). Do you mean that I should notify him when I get above 500 mg. per day? In my mind, actual supervision would mean that he would order blood work every 3 months or so
and check my results.
Hi Mayor,

It would be best to tell your Doctor even if you are taking 500mg of Niacin and or any over the counter dietary supplements. Niacin is a very powerful substance and has the potential to cause problems if you are not under the care of a Doctor. Most Doctor’s will at least order a liver function test if you are taking any sort of statin medication and especially if you are taking Niacin with a statin. Most will check once every three months and once things stabilize your Doctor may have you come in once every six months or once a year. But yes it is extremely important to tell your Doctor anything that you’re taking either Niacin or other supplements. They need to know what you are on as some supplements could be bad for someone depending on any type of medical condition. I always get my Doctor’s approval before I begin taking any over the counter dietary supplement. Just because it is natural does not mean it is safe. All the best.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona77
Hi Mayor,

Niacin is a very powerful substance and has the potential to cause problems if you are not under the care of a Doctor.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah... a lot of folks who take that first 500 mg tab of immediate flush niacin without understanding its side effects swear it almost killed them... that niacin is extremely dangerous stuff and should be taken off the market...

Old 10-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #14
(male)

Arizona77 HB User

Yeah... a lot of folks who take that first 500 mg tab of immediate flush niacin without understanding its side effects swear it almost killed them... that niacin is extremely dangerous stuff and should be taken off the market... [/QUOTE]

Yes it’s true...people have taken 500mg immediate release and have called 911 and thought they were having a medical emergency. In all seriousness so many people in the country try to Doctor them selves and that is not a good idea. I just hear of horror stories of people taking some over the counter supplements with out their Doctor’s approval and have has some serious problems. I always check with my Doctor before doing anything.

Last edited by Arizona77; 10-03-2007 at 08:20 PM.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #15
(male)

mmvic HB User

Your doctor must listen better than most Arizona77 since deafness, Alzheimers and a touch of autism is endemic in the profession. Nothing wrong with discussing your options but as with all life decisions, they are best life to the life holder who has the most to lose and not your doctor who is just a high paid service provider eh?

Last edited by mmvic; 10-03-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Closed Thread