It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV USA
Posts: 43
Allison965 HB User
What is the "real" number for high LDL

Does anyone know what the "real number is for what is considered high LDL? I have read that the AHA says anything over 130 is high, but in other places I have read that you don't want it over 100. What is the truth?

 
Old 10-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 237
Arizona77 HB User
Re: What is the "real" number for high LDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison965 View Post
Does anyone know what the "real number is for what is considered high LDL? I have read that the AHA says anything over 130 is high, but in other places I have read that you don't want it over 100. What is the truth?
I am wondering the same. To my understanding it should be less than 130. My Doctor wants all of his patients to have their LDL below 100. He advised me the higher it gets the more you have a chance of developing blockages. My LDL is currently at 75. My Doctor was happy with that. My HDL is at 42 and he said he had no problem with that as it should be above 40 for men. I got very concerned as being 2 points above the normal range is not good in my opinion and the higher your HDL the better. I brought this to my Doctor’s attention and he approved me taking 1,000mg Niacin daily to help raise my HDL. I was shocked to see my HDL at 42 as I do Cardio 30mins 4X week and lift weights 1hour 3X week. I also eat right as well.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Auckland
Posts: 533
Mark1e HB User
Re: What is the "real" number for high LDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison965 View Post
... the AHA says anything over 130 is high, but in other places I have read that you don't want it over 100. What is the truth?
It depends on your risk profile. For someone with no risk factors, 130 is satisfactory, 130-160 is "borderline high", while 160+ is considered very high. If you have 2 or more risk factors, they want your LDL to be below 100. And if you have had a heart attack or have a risk equivalent (Diabetes), they want your LDL below 70. Do a search on "NCEP guideline" for detail.

It really doesn't make sense to me. These guidelines suggest that abnormally low cholesterol is good for diabetics, which is illogical. Average LDL is about 130, which is what I feel comfortable with. I really can't see how being a type 1 diabetic makes any difference.

Mark
__________________
Type 1 since 1977. On Lantus, Novorapid and Actrapid.

Last edited by Mark1e; 10-11-2007 at 10:45 PM.

 
Old 10-12-2007, 07:28 AM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV USA
Posts: 43
Allison965 HB User
Re: What is the "real" number for high LDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1e View Post
It depends on your risk profile. For someone with no risk factors, 130 is satisfactory, 130-160 is "borderline high", while 160+ is considered very high. If you have 2 or more risk factors, they want your LDL to be below 100. And if you have had a heart attack or have a risk equivalent (Diabetes), they want your LDL below 70. Do a search on "NCEP guideline" for detail.

It really doesn't make sense to me. These guidelines suggest that abnormally low cholesterol is good for diabetics, which is illogical. Average LDL is about 130, which is what I feel comfortable with. I really can't see how being a type 1 diabetic makes any difference.

Mark
Thanks. I am going to stick with the less than 130 rule for me since I don't have any risk factors, and since my LDL is 151, that is also a more realistic goal.

 
Old 10-12-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 524
Guy1_USA HB User
Re: What is the "real" number for high LDL

Take your Doctor's advice... but make sure you do what you want. You have to weigh living with nerve and muscle damage from statins vs. high cholesterol.

I'd take high cholesterol over statins any day of the week... and my Doctor knows this.

130 is a perfectly fine high water mark for cholesterol.

 
Old 10-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV USA
Posts: 43
Allison965 HB User
Re: What is the "real" number for high LDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureMan View Post
Take your Doctor's advice... but make sure you do what you want. You have to weigh living with nerve and muscle damage from statins vs. high cholesterol.

I'd take high cholesterol over statins any day of the week... and my Doctor knows this.

130 is a perfectly fine high water mark for cholesterol.

Thanks VentureMan. I'm sticking with the high cholesterol vs. statins. I honestly don't think I am at risk for heart disease anyway. I don't smoke, am not overweight, have low BP, have no family history of heart disease and work out regularly. My only risk factor is my high LDL, which is balanced out by my high HDL. I don't want to be on statins now, or even worse -- for the rest of my life when I am only 36. Who knows what kind of damage they could do taking them for that many years?

 
Old 10-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kansas City, KS
Posts: 117
Toneman HB User
Re: What is the "real" number for high LDL

Let me confuse everyone a little more. What most health care professionals are going to is a ratio between your LDL and your HDL called LDL/HDL Ratio. The idea is that the lower the ratio, the better the balance between your LDL and HDL allowing your HDL to do a better job binding to your LDL and removing it from your arteries. In my case, my LDL is 58 and my HDL is only 38 which is below the goal, however my LDL/HDL Ratio is only 1.5 compared to a goal of 3.6 so my doctor is very happy with my numbers. Go figure............ (not a pun)

Tony

Last edited by Toneman; 10-17-2007 at 07:28 PM.

 
Old 10-17-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 237
Arizona77 HB User
Re: What is the "real" number for high LDL

My Doctor said "Ideally" he would like all of his patients LDL to be 100 or less.

Last edited by Arizona77; 10-17-2007 at 09:29 PM.

 
Old 10-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV USA
Posts: 43
Allison965 HB User
Re: What is the "real" number for high LDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneman View Post
Let me confuse everyone a little more. What most health care professionals are going to is a ratio between your LDL and your HDL called LDL/HDL Ratio. The idea is that the lower the ratio, the better the balance between your LDL and HDL allowing your HDL to do a better job binding to your LDL and removing it from your arteries. In my case, my LDL is 58 and my HDL is only 38 which is below the goal, however my LDL/HDL Ratio is only 1.5 compared to a goal of 3.6 so my doctor is very happy with my numbers. Go figure............ (not a pun)

Tony
Using the ratio theory, I am fine. LDL is 151 and HDL is 96 -- ratio is 1.57! Almost as good as yours! I knew about the ration theory but didn't realize that "most health care professionals" are going by this now. I say I like this theory! It means I am fine

 
Old 10-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV USA
Posts: 43
Allison965 HB User
Re: What is the "real" number for high LDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona77 View Post
My Doctor said "Ideally" he would like all of his patients LDL to be 100 or less.

Of course "ideally" he would like LDL to be 100 or less, but I am more concerned with what is truly considered "dangerous". I doubt my LDL will ever be less than 100, so I am curious what is a reasonable goal for me with my LDL of 151 right now.

 
Old 10-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #11
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 237
Arizona77 HB User
Re: What is the "real" number for high LDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison965 View Post
Of course "ideally" he would like LDL to be 100 or less, but I am more concerned with what is truly considered "dangerous". I doubt my LDL will ever be less than 100, so I am curious what is a reasonable goal for me with my LDL of 151 right now.
Hi Allison965,

I feel your concern completely. My LDL used to be almost as high around 140. After dropping fast food and rich foods for almost three years now I managed to get my LDL down to 75. I discussed this with my Doctor when I saw him last month as I have been so worried about my HDL, he advised me Doctor's are 78% concerned about your LDL. The reason being as my Doctor stated the higher your LDL the more probability of blockages forming. Also he mentioned Doctor's are 22% concerned about your HDL. Most people he told me are not able to get their LDL below 100. He said if you have no risk factors less than 130 would be acceptable but ideally in all cases he advised me bellow 100 would be optimal. However to get my cholesterol down I have paid a big price. Most people would say I have deprived my self with respect to my daily diet. I just know if I eat rich foods, fast food etc on a daily bases which I did three years ago… that my numbers would be out of control.


When are you due for your next test? Do you take any supplements?
I have been on Red Yeast Rice for over three years and it has kept me from taking any medication and I can attribute my good numbers due to the Red Yeast Rice, diet and regular exercise. If you want to take a natural and safe statin and get you LDL down I would highly recommend Red Yeast Rice. It has worked great for so many people and it is especially good for lowering your LDL specifically. I have been taking it daily for three years… have had no issues no side effects just outstanding results. I am happy my Doctor told me to go to the health food store and pick some up instead of giving me an RX for Lipotor.

My numbers of this past August are as fallows

Total 135
LDL 75
HDL 42
TRIG 82

I just added 1,000mg immediate release Niacin under my Doctor’s care to help boost my HDL a bit. I am going to be retested in February and will display my results once I receive them.


All the best!

Last edited by Arizona77; 10-17-2007 at 11:30 PM.

 
Old 10-18-2007, 06:40 AM   #12
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV USA
Posts: 43
Allison965 HB User
Re: What is the "real" number for high LDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona77 View Post
Hi Allison965,

I feel your concern completely. My LDL used to be almost as high around 140. After dropping fast food and rich foods for almost three years now I managed to get my LDL down to 75. I discussed this with my Doctor when I saw him last month as I have been so worried about my HDL, he advised me Doctor's are 78% concerned about your LDL. The reason being as my Doctor stated the higher your LDL the more probability of blockages forming. Also he mentioned Doctor's are 22% concerned about your HDL. Most people he told me are not able to get their LDL below 100. He said if you have no risk factors less than 130 would be acceptable but ideally in all cases he advised me bellow 100 would be optimal. However to get my cholesterol down I have paid a big price. Most people would say I have deprived my self with respect to my daily diet. I just know if I eat rich foods, fast food etc on a daily bases which I did three years ago… that my numbers would be out of control.


When are you due for your next test? Do you take any supplements?
I have been on Red Yeast Rice for over three years and it has kept me from taking any medication and I can attribute my good numbers due to the Red Yeast Rice, diet and regular exercise. If you want to take a natural and safe statin and get you LDL down I would highly recommend Red Yeast Rice. It has worked great for so many people and it is especially good for lowering your LDL specifically. I have been taking it daily for three years… have had no issues no side effects just outstanding results. I am happy my Doctor told me to go to the health food store and pick some up instead of giving me an RX for Lipotor.

My numbers of this past August are as fallows

Total 135
LDL 75
HDL 42
TRIG 82

I just added 1,000mg immediate release Niacin under my Doctor’s care to help boost my HDL a bit. I am going to be retested in February and will display my results once I receive them.


All the best!
Thanks for your response. My next test is at the end of November. I also have cut out fast food and rich foods. I was drinking a caramel machiatto with whole milk EVERY DAY for breakfast, had fast food regularly for lunch and often had frozen dinners for dinner. My diet is drastically different now. I start every morning with oatmeal with skim milk, soy milk, raisins, walnuts and flax seed. I eat a lot of vegetable raps and/or sandwiches on whole grain bread for lunch and a lot salmon and/or chicken with steamed veggies, a fresh spinach salad with olive oil, and brown rice for dinner. Dessert and/or snacks are usually grapes or berries. Oh -- and I eat a lot of hummus (trying to get enough protein) on Wasa crackers or with fresh veggies. Despite the fact that so many people have supported the use of RYR on this board, I am not comfortable using it. I still consider it a drug, even if it is "natural". It is great that it has worked for you and many others, but I am just not comfortable with it. I am REALLY hoping that with my drastic diet changes that there will be some improvement. I have no other risk factors. My only risk factor is my high LDL of 151. Also, my HDL is 96, so I am looking GREAT there! I am actually concerned that my HDL will drop some with my new diet. I will be keeping everyone posted with my numbers! Thanks again for your response and have a great day!

Allison

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Is my hypertension "real"? RayRay39 High & Low Blood Pressure 13 11-12-2008 04:46 PM
B/c I Have Ocd I Can Handle "real" Things Better....... purplegirl1 Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) 4 09-11-2007 06:36 PM
How do you know your "real" personality? veljul Bipolar Disorder 3 07-16-2007 03:04 PM
cuff anxiety vs. "real" anxiety? acp44 High & Low Blood Pressure 7 06-07-2007 08:43 AM
baby doesn't like "real" food Kiera1595 Infant Care (up to 18 months old) 4 07-20-2005 09:02 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Aspirin
Crestor
Lipitor
Niaspan
Pravachol
  Simvastatin Tricor
Vytorin
Zetia
Zocor




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



JJ (25), yackedar (23), jenj770 (13), rudiraven (10), ARIZONA73 (10), Titchou (5), phil58 (4), AussieBloke (4), ladybud (4), captjane (3)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1136), MSJayhawk (941), Apollo123 (855), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (769), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (654), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:37 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.com™ All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!