It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

DixieDoodle HB User
High cholesterol despite diet & exercise

I've got a few questions and I was hoping someone from this board could help me out and answer some of them for me.

I originally had my cholesterol checked a few years ago and it was over 300. I did not do anything about it until recently when I was having some other blood problems and it was suggested that I have another test.

I went to the doctor the other day to have my cholesterol rechecked after 6 months. When I had my cholesterol checked 6 months ago my cholesterol was "high". I don't have the numbers anymore but the TC was 218. I do know that my HDL was quite high and my Trig's were low and LDL was on the high side too. My doctor said that if my numbers did not go down in 6 months I would need to take meds to try to get the numbers down.

I went back last week for the recheck and I thought that I must have brought the numbers down to an acceptable level since I quit eating red meat completely, cut out white flour, exercise daily (cardio) and I do not eat anything with cholesterol in it.

My numbers are as follows:
TC = 268
HDL = 76
LDL = 174
Trig = 92

I also told the Dr. that I've been having heart palpitations. The Dr. said that this was from stress and had me schedule a stress test (tomorrow).

I am scared to death of taking Lipitor. I filled the prescription but have not started taking it yet. I've been going thru a very stressful period at work for a few weeks now and was wondering if stress could cause high cholesterol?

Is there any way to help lower my cholesterol besides meds? I tried Oatmeal, diet and exercise but nothing seems to help.

The Dr. seemed unconcerned about the palpitations, should I be concerned? I'm a 47 yo female in good health. I'm not sure that I like or trust this Dr, as she did not ask any questions when I told her what was bothering me, she just stated "must be stress, you need to talk to someone" and dismissed me. Should I get another dr.? She never said who I would need to talk to either. Seemed like she was in a hurry and did not want to be bothered by my silly little complaints.

Thanks for listening...

Dixie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User
Re: High cholesterol despite diet & exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDoodle View Post
I am scared to death of taking Lipitor.
In my opinion... you should be. I wallowed thru 2 years Phavachol... maybe 4but cant recall, 2 years Baychol, and two years Lipitor. They were all nasty with bad side effects. I will never consider statins again.

Sounds like some folks have had luck with omega-3 fish oils and niacin in reducing cholesterol... and some say red yeast rice has helped them without the side effects of statins, although there have been a few to dispute the zero side effect theory of RYR from personal experience.

It's a difficult decision... but I'll take my chances of needing a bypass before considering statins again.

Best of luck.

Closed Thread