It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
(female)

nightangel73 HB User
borderline high cholesterol

Okay I'm 34 years old and for the first ever I have a high cholesterol reading of total cholesterol 232. They say high risk is 240+..Now granted this was just a cholesterol test on a health fair so I just made an appt with my internist and request all the cholesterol testing to get the real numbers..

wow I'm still in shock. High cholesterol runs in my family so I guess this is just begun for me as well. Which i find it rare because there is no obesity in my family, I'm actually skinny and I don't eat much fat neither, it makes me sick..

So how much do I have to worry about this score?

Old 10-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User
Re: borderline high cholesterol

Cholesterol and obesity have little... to no... relation. I know plenty of very skinny people with cholesterol numbers in the 300's and 400's and plenty of obese people with great numbers.

I was 32 with cholesterol numbers simular to yours.

I was only able to reduce my numbers without side effect from prescription Niaspan, which is just extended release niacin... which is just vitmin B3.

Best of luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
(female)

nightangel73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureMan View Post
Cholesterol and obesity have little... to no... relation. I know plenty of very skinny people with cholesterol numbers in the 300's and 400's and plenty of obese people with great numbers.

I was 32 with cholesterol numbers simular to yours.

I was only able to reduce my numbers without side effect from prescription Niaspan, which is just extended release niacin... which is just vitmin B3.

Best of luck to you.
Vitamin B3 sounds better than trying statins..there is no way I plan to risk my liver with statin drugs..I will ask doctor about that..for now I guess I'm gonna cut on eating eggs everyday and on the sweet tea I drink everyday that I know has huge amounts of refined sugar..gosh I need now to begin researching on the topic...

Old 10-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightangel73 View Post
..for now I guess I'm gonna cut on eating eggs everyday ...
Don't do that! Eggs are a superfood. Eggs contain about 200mg of cholesterol and it was thought that this would increase cholesterol levels. This has been disproved. Only 50% of this cholesterol gets absorbed, and the liver down-regulates the amount of cholesterol it produces to achieve the same result. I eat 3 eggs a day, every day and my lipid profile has never been better.

Mark

Last edited by Mark1e; 10-17-2007 at 09:28 PM.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:21 AM   #5
(female)

nightangel73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1e View Post
Don't do that! Eggs are a superfood. Eggs contain about 200mg of cholesterol and it was thought that this would increase cholesterol levels. This has been disproved. Only 50% of this cholesterol gets absorbed, and the liver down-regulates the amount of cholesterol it produces to achieve the same result. I eat 3 eggs a day, every day and my lipid profile has never been better.

Mark

but something is causing me the high cholesterol and that's about the most high cholesterol food I eat..

Old 10-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Lord_Taff HB User

Quote:

Mark
I totally agree with Mark on this. European study results confirm Mark's remarks.

Lord Taff

Old 10-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
but something is causing me the high cholesterol and that's about the most high cholesterol food I eat..
Your liver produces 80%+ of your cholesterol. It produces about 2,000mg of cholesterol a day. You would need to eat 20 eggs a day to absorb that much cholesterol. What you really should be asking is : What is causing my liver to produce so much of the stuff? There could be a whole lot of reasons.

Cholesterol is used for various purposes - making hormones, construction of cell membranes, maintaining the nervous system, etc. Cholesterol is also like the bodies natural band aid. The liver produces lots of it when damage needs to be fixed. Like after surgery or an accident, when there is inflammation etc. This is why plaque build-up occurs. The liver produces cholesterol that is used to repair damage to the linings of the arteries. The notion that arteries get clogged up because there is simply too much circulating cholesterol is outdated thinking. Anyway, the bottom line is that dietary cholesterol has little, if any, impact on serum cholesterol.

Having said all that, your cholesterol isn't that high anyway. It may or may not be a cause for concern. The relationship between the components - LDL, HDL and Triglycerides is what really matters.

Mark

Last edited by Mark1e; 10-18-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
(female)

Allison965 HB User

Call me crazy, but I believe that diet does play a part in cholesterol levels. I know that the liver produces the majority of the cholesterol in your body, but firmly believe that diet can and does have an impact. They are people on this board who say their cholesterol levels went down when they changed their diet.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison965 View Post
.... They are people on this board who say their cholesterol levels went down when they changed their diet.
This is the problem with anecdotal evidence. Most people change their diet, get exercise and lose weight all at the same time. There is no way of knowing what actually made the difference to cholesterol levels. The simple fact that they are actually doing something about a stressful situation probably also has a cholesterol-reducing effect. Improvements are widely attributed to diet because this is the general expectation.

Even the controlled diet studies can't be relied on for guidance on this as they also involve varying activity and weight-loss experiences. Interestingly though, the high-fat Atkins diet normally provides the biggest improvements in the lipid profile. Eating lots of fat, according to these studies, typically increases HDL and reduces triglycerides. ....

Mark

Last edited by Mark1e; 10-18-2007 at 04:01 PM.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #10
(female)

Allison965 HB User

Quote:
This is the problem with anecdotal evidence. Most people change their diet, get exercise and lose weight all at the same time. There is no way of knowing what actually made the difference to cholesterol levels. The simple fact that they are actually doing something about a stressful situation probably also has a cholesterol-reducing effect. Improvements are widely attributed to diet because this is the general expectation.

Even the controlled diet studies can't be relied on for guidance on this as they also involve varying activity and weight-loss experiences. Interestingly though, the high-fat Atkins diet normally provides the biggest improvements in the lipid profile. Eating lots of fat, according to these studies, typically increases HDL and reduces triglycerides. ....

Mark
But what about LDL? I have high HDL -- 96, Low TG -- 59, so I don't think the high-fat Atkins diet is what I need. My problem is my LDL -- 151. I already exercised, and was not overweight. I still exercise and only weigh 2 pounds less since I have changed my diet. Maybe my HDL will go down and my TG will go up now because of this? I am still eating fat, it's just the healthy fats like avocados, walnuts and olive oil. Regarding stress -- I was not any more stressed before than I am now because I didn't know I had this problem. If anything, I am MORE stressed now knowing I have this problem. I really do believe that saturated fats have an impact. Call me crazy Maybe I am the perfect case study? I will be sure to post my numbers after my dramatic diet change. If my numbers are worse, I will go back to my unhealthy diet

Old 10-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison965 View Post
... My problem is my LDL -- 151. ...
Be careful you don't make a mountain out of a molehill here. You LDL is 151 because that is how your body works. So what? The reality is that most people with slightly above-average cholesterol are fine. They really don't need to do any thing differently. If you are really concerned that your arteries are getting blocked up, have a heart scan done. That way you will know what is actually happening to your arteries and whether anything needs to be done about it.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Quote:

Your liver is causing you high cholesterol. Your liver produces all the cholesterol your body needs... and in the case of most of the people on this message board... produces way too much.

There are very few people who have high cholesterol due to their diet.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:12 AM   #13
(female)

nightangel73 HB User

Okay I was talking to my father in law (he is mad scientist) about the topic..

He told me to not stress about the issue. That cholesterol alone won't cause the blocking of your arteries...and told me how true that was that his father had a couple of heart attacks and he NEVER had high cholesterol. His cholesterol scores were always perfect. He says that there is people with very high cholesterol levels and never have a heart attack too. He said that more than cholesterol what was important to look is the homocysteine levels, that this is much better predictor. The inflamatory agents.. And also to look at the ratios of the high vs the low like the other poster mentioned matters most. He says total cholesterol means nothing. He said that when the cause of the high cholesterol is genetic there is nothing you can do about it regardless of the diet.

I know of this lady who is the mom of my best friend who had artheriosclerosis..well she not only fatty food and was overweight, she also smoked like a chimney and drank lot of alcohol, very unhealthy..

Last edited by nightangel73; 10-20-2007 at 09:14 AM.

Closed Thread