It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2007, 07:18 AM   #1
(female)

Amanda06 HB User
Diet for Borderline Cholesterol

Hi:
Recently, I was dx'ed 'Borderline Cholesterol,' and G.P. told me that 'diet' is very important giving me a sheet of paper listing which foods is healthy and non-healthy for borderline cholesterol.

However, I lost this, a sheet of paper G.P. gave me about three months ago.

I would be appreciated it if any of you offerring me how to control 'Borderline Cholesterol' by diet and eating healthy-food.

Thanks,

Old 11-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
(male)

bnpr HB User
Re: Diet for Borderline Cholesterol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda06 View Post
Hi:
Recently, I was dx'ed 'Borderline Cholesterol,' and G.P. told me that 'diet' is very important giving me a sheet of paper listing which foods is healthy and non-healthy for borderline cholesterol.

However, I lost this, a sheet of paper G.P. gave me about three months ago.

I would be appreciated it if any of you offerring me how to control 'Borderline Cholesterol' by diet and eating healthy-food.

Thanks,
I was also given a sheet for diet control. Stay away from high cholestrol dairy food like butter, cheese and high fat milk. Also indulge less frequently with fried food.

Eventhough I followed the diet very strictly nothing changed and then I had to take statins to reduce the cholesterol as I was having hyperlipidemia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnpr View Post
Stay away from high cholestrol dairy food like butter, cheese and high fat milk.

I highly disagree with this advice. High fat food actually raises your good cholesterol (HDL). Eliminate this, and your HDL will go down, thus putting you at higher risk.

As you experienced, diet changes do not help most people as your liver makes the majority... if not all... the cholesterol in your body. Dietary cholesterol intake has very little effect on your blood cholesterol.

The dietary changes that seem to help the most is to lower your carb intake. Reduce or iliminate sugar (pretty hard at times), and reduce products made with flour like bread, pizza, pasta... and eliminate rice and potatoes from your diet.

But is you have to take a medication, I high recommend you try Niaspan first. It doesn't have any nasty side effects that will wreck havic on your life. The only side effect is flushing... some folks can't tollerate it... but it does deminish over time. I lowered my cholesterol 50% with Niaspan... and Niaspan will increase your good cholesterol.

Best of luck.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
(female)

annmg HB User

I actually lowered my total cholesterol with diet, and exercise. In 4 months it went from 256 to 187. Lots of work and discipline. I still have to tweek my HDL and TRI, so hopefully in 4 months it will be even better. It takes a lot of will power, and if you stick to it it will get easier. You'll know what you can eat and what you can't eat. I'm really happy with the way I eat and exercise now, and feel real good about it. I'm glad I gave diet and exercise a try before going on med's, and it seems to work so far for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to annmg For This Useful Post:
Goody10 (02-19-2011)
Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

annmg...

I'm so glad that diet worked for you... I tried all kinds of diets over the years and none of them helped my cholesterol much.

I'm jealuous... but happy for you.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
(female)

annmg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureMan View Post
annmg...

I'm so glad that diet worked for you... I tried all kinds of diets over the years and none of them helped my cholesterol much.

I'm jealuous... but happy for you.
Thanks VentureMan..I did take your advise and I'm having 1/2 avocado a day. I'm actually liking them!! At first I thought they were terrible, but having some everyday changed my taste buds for them. Cutting my carb's is a challenge for me, but I'm working hard at it. Thanks for all your advise.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:11 PM   #7
(male)

bnpr HB User

VentureMan....
Thanx for the advise. Eventhough I am a bit confused over your comments on high cholesterol dairy products I value your other points.

I had been trying to convince the 4 physicians I met since last 1 year since I was diagnosed with Hyperlipidemia to prescribe Niacin. But they seem content to give me Statin.My Triglyceride is still above 200. How can I get my physician to prescribe Niacin since I am worried about the long term side effects of Statins.

The food items you have asked me to stay away formed a large part of my diet. What food do you suggest for a low sugar, low carb diet, preferably vegeterian.

Can u give some insight on what can be the side effects of using statins long term.

Last edited by bnpr; 11-20-2007 at 11:14 PM.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Dairy...

Fat intake keeps your HDL high. That is, if you eat a cube of butter a day, your HDL will improve quite a bit. However, moderation is key. No one is recommending you eat a cube of butter... can't be too good for anyone.

Nearly all dietary cholesterol comes from animal fat of some type... like chicken or beef or meat, eggs, and milk products like cheese or cream or butter or milk. Consumption of Dietary cholesterol usually does not have a big impact on cholesterol levels in your blood... for most folks anyway... as your liver makes all the cholesterol that your body needs. You do not need dietary cholesterol. However, most folks with high cholesterol can attibute this to their liver making way too much cholesterol, requiring a medication to bring it down.

Regarding medication... my belief is that any supplement you take in high doses... including but not limited to niacin, RYR, fish oil, vitamin B's Pantethine, etc... is indeed a medication. Just because you can purchase a supplement over the counter does not mean it can't or won't cause harm to you. You should keep your Doctor appraised of all supplements and medications you are taking.

What happens to a lot of the folks freaking out (me included at one time) about learning they have high cholesterol is that they start removing all dietary cholesterol from their diet. But by doing so, they replace that food with sugars and carbs... and most don't realize this.

For instance, Folks replace their salad dressing with fat-free... except most fat-free products replace the fat with high fructose corn surup in their attempt to mimmic the texture of fat. The same with low fat and fat free milk... the milk packers replace the fat with lactose (milk sugar) because fat free milk would taste like crap without it. And they do not have to tell you they manipulate the milk with added sugar because lactose IS milk. Whole milk has way less carbs than non-fat... and cream has way less carbs than whole milk.

But an increase in carbs can have two bad effects: Higher LDL and higher triglycerides. Another is weight gain. Carbs are not very satiating when it comes to appetite... so you tend to eat more.

I did a vegan diet for about a year with zero dietary cholesterol from animal fat. My blood test after nine months of this showed that my cholesterol went through the roof due to this diet... higher than it has ever been. And my HDL went down markedly... the only time it has ever been under 40.

To contrast this, when I did Atkins for about a year... eating all the fatty food I wanted and cuting wayyyy back on carbs... my cholesterol actually improved (lowered) a bit. And my HDL went UP dramtically... like to 55. But my my cholesterol numbers were still much higher than normal.

Meds that I have tried over the last 16 years are Baychol, Pravachol, Lipitor, Whelcol, and Niaspan. Niaspan was the only medication to lower cholesterol into the "normal" range... something even statins could not boast for me. I did statins for about 6-8 of the 16 years I've been trying to lower my cholesterol. So I'm very well familiar with the side effects of statins.

Personally... I would just tell your Doctor that you refuse to take statins ever again, and want to try Niacin... and stick to your guns. If they still won't prescribe it... ask them why... ask them medically why they won't prescrinbe Niapsan... what is holdiong them back. It's probably the old 80/20 rule... 20% are exceptional while 80% just tow the line.

The position I take with my Doctor is that I will not take Statins ever again... ever. Before he suggested Niaspan, he said we'll have to just wait then, as new meds are coming out all the time. Funny... Niaspan has been around for quite a while... it sounds like amny Doctors just don't embrace it until they have had success with it. And it was probably 6 months before my Doctor suggested trying Niaspan... I had never heard of it before... but I was aware of niacin... I had tried immediate release previously.

If Niaspan did not exist, I would not be taking any remedy for my cholesterol. I'd rather deal with stints and by-pass before destroying my body with statins. Pay now... Pay later. It's a choice we all have to make.

Long term effects of statins reported by folks include muscle pain, nerve damage, and sexual side effects... not the good kind of sexual side effects either. It appears that the chances of this happening to a person increase with the length of time that a person takes statins. Baychol was pulled off the market because it was desolving, so-to-speak- the heart muscle... killing people.

Having high cholesterol is a precarious situation. As I said... Pay now... or pay later. It's a tough choice... a personal choice.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 11-21-2007 at 06:54 PM.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Lord_Taff HB User

Amanda06 and bnpr,

The only proven diet in association with 10,000 walking steps per day to achieve upto a 30% reduction in cholesterol levels is the 'Portfolio eating plan'.

<removed>

Lord Taff

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-21-2007 at 11:46 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find websites.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Lord_Taff HB User

Has anyone ever tried the 'Portfolio eating plan' to reduce their cholesterol levels?
Is so, was there any noticeable improvement?

Lord Taff

Old 11-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #11
(male)

love2fishfork HB User

I did a little research and it looks like a vegan diet with almonds! Some people just cannot control their Cholesterol with diet. For some people (me) it's genetic.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:04 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

Here is an outline of what was likely (or should have been) on that sheet you lost.

If you eat animal flesh, choose lean cuts. Increase you consumption of fish. Remove visible fat (and skin from poultry) before eating.

Increase your consumption of fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains. True whole grains are things like barley, quinoa, popcorn, brown rice, bulgur, etc., not so-called "whole grain" bread and pasta (though the latter in moderation is fine). These foods should make up the majority of your diet.

Minimize your consumption of processed, pre-prepared foods. If your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize it as food, don't eat it. Eat foods as close to how they came from the plant or animal as possible, e.g. shop around the perimeter of the supermarket rather than the inner aisles.

Minimize your consumption of "white stuff": flour, sugar, bread, crackers, cookies, etc. (Eating a lot of foods made from these products is a real culprit for high triglycerides and low HDL).

Minimize your consumption of full-fat dairy. Substitute reduced-fat or nonfat dairy products whereever possible.

While I agree that one should not eliminate all fat from the diet, saying that it is okay to continue to eat butter, cheese, cream, whole milk, etc. is dangerous for most people (my numbers go through the roof it I'm testing after an Atkins-type week, and my numbers are better when I eat properly as outlined above). While an occasional meal that includes small amounts of these foods aren't going to hurt most people, the key words are "occasional" and "small."

Be sure to eat a variety of healthy fats, e.g. olive oil, canola oil, avocados, walnuts, almonds, olives, etc. These are all high calorie, however, so don't overdo it. Just make sure you have at least two or three teaspoons of one of these fats per day.

Stop eating at fast food joints.

If you don't exercise regularly, start.

Do not eat any products with the word "hydrogenated" (in any of its variations) in the list of ingredients. (These fats are worse for you than butter).

I'm sure I've forgotten a few things, but this list should get you started. Good luck!!

Last edited by Connie122516; 11-25-2007 at 11:06 AM.

Closed Thread