It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #1
(female)

Amanda Love HB User
Switching from Zocor to Zetia

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board today.

I have been on Zocor for 6 weeks and had my follow up blood work today. I do not want to be on statin drugs however I took the Zocor with the intent of getting my numbers down and then weaning off of it and controlling it with diet and exercise.

I have had nonstop sore muscles and fatigue the entire time I've been on Zocor. My doctor offered me Zetia to try, to see if the side effects are less and we will recheck numbers again in 6 more weeks, depending on what today's blood tests show.

My question is twofold. My doctor says I do not have to "wean" off Zocor, that I could just stop it cold turkey if I wanted to, although she does not recommend that I quit takig it. That does NOT seem right to me that you can just "quit". And second, if I am going to try to Zetia, is it safe to just change meds overnight?

I'm far more into holistic medicine than I am Western. The idea of being on statins or anything else for life is out of the question in my book, but my doctor scared me with insisting I jump in and take 40mg Zocor because of my cholesterol numbers. My overall cholesterol was 247, triglycerides 157, HDL 46 and LDL 170. I am 46 years old, 5'9" and 240 lbs. Overweight but still a size 18! haha (Read: built like Rosie O'Donnell) I have 3 herniated disks so I do not exercise, but I have been walking since I started the Zocor.

Has anyone had experience with switching from Zocor to Zetia?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User
Re: Switching from Zocor to Zetia

Amanda, I switched from Zocor to Zetia overnight, no issues from switching. I had major muscle pains in my legs hence the reason for going with Zetia. I just started it about 6 weeks ago and so far so good no side effects. I am also going to be taking Niaspan starting tomorrow with the Zetia I am hoping this will decrease my numbers.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
(female)

Amanda Love HB User

Yes! So did I. Especially my left calf. Every morning I hobbled out of bed with stiff muscles etc, and all day my left leg would hurt the most. I even had muscle aches in my left hand and thumb, I could barely hold a coffee cup.

I'm curious to see if Zetia works for me!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

it felt like I had weights tied to my legs it was horrible. yes especially the calfs. Thank god I dont take it anymore, no side effects with the Zetia so far, I guess because it isnt a statin.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Love
Hi everyone,

My question is twofold. My doctor says I do not have to "wean" off Zocor, that I could just stop it cold turkey if I wanted to, although she does not recommend that I quit takig it. That does NOT seem right to me that you can just "quit".
Your Doctor is correct. You can stop statins cold turkey. I have been on and off three different statins in past years and have stopped them all cold turkey without a single incident.

Quote:
And second, if I am going to try to Zetia, is it safe to just change meds overnight?
Yeppers... perfectly safe. Infact, Zetia is most often prescribed together with statins.

Quote:
I'm far more into holistic medicine than I am Western. The idea of being on statins or anything else for life is out of the question in my book
Same here... that is why I will now only take niacin (vitamin B3) to reduce my cholesterol. You should ask you Doctor about it. I reduced my cholesterol 50% across the board, and increased my HDL about 25%. I take prescription Niaspan, which is just a prescription form of niacin that reduces the "flushing" that occurs with immediate release niacin.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 11-28-2007 at 11:07 AM.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

do you think the Niaspan alone will work without taking the Zetia? that prescription is expensive.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Yes. Niaspan was he only medication, in my 16 years of trying to lower my cholesterol, that lowered my cholesterol into the 'normal' range. I never achieved those results with statins... and I've tried three different statins during those 16 years.

And I don't have any nasty side effects like statins can give you.

I have insurance, so my co-pay is about $200 a year. If I purchased Niaspan myself, it would cost me about $1200 a year... I price I would be glad to pay given the results.

It's not like I'm getting something for nothing... My insurance is not a give-away... I pay over $12,000 a year for medical insurance for my family. That's not cheap!

Old 11-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

I did not mean the Niaspan was expensive I meant the Zetia sorry about that.Even with my insurance the Zetia is 50.00 a month as opposed to 25.00 for the Niaspan so I think I will stick with the Niaspan.

Closed Thread