It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 09:51 PM   #1
(female)

Hypergirl48 HB User
Anyone Improved with diet changes, exercise, losing weight alone?

I'd much rather change my eating/exercising for the rest of my life and lose my 80 extra pounds than take medicine the rest of my life. (Diabetics do it, whether they're on insulin or not.) But I need someone to say, "Hey, yeah, I made that work for me."

Mine is bad (TC=330; HDL=30; LDL-243; TG=304). How long would it take to see a positive difference if there was going to be one? (For example, I've read several places that using plant sterols, you can start to show a difference in 2 to 3 weeks.)

About three days ago I started making all the dietary changes I've read about (except haven't added any Red Rice Yeast(?) or policosanol yet). Exercising. And have lost three pounds in three days (I know, probably all water weight, but it's a start). Have an extensive spreadsheet in Excel to calculate everything each day using a food database I created. (Yeah, I know, sounds extreme---but I'm seriously motivated here.)

Has anybody made this work without any meds?

Thanks!
6/06: Dx hyperT & Graves Disease. RAI 6/06. Current treatment: Synthroid

Last edited by Hypergirl48; 11-27-2007 at 09:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2007, 05:40 AM   #2
(female)

annmg HB User
Re: Anyone Improved with diet changes, exercise, losing weight alone?

Last July my numbers were:

TC 256
HDL 45
LDL 178
tri 153

4 months later after a low fat diet, exercise 6 days a week for 30 minutes (riding my exercise bike) and walking about 1/2 to 1 mile a day..my results were:

TC 187
HDL 39
LDL 113
Tri 174

A difference of 69 points. I saw a dietition both times and she did help me a bit. A few people on this board gave me some very helpful hints. Like eating avocado's and adding walnuts to my diet to raise my HDL. My Tri's are high due to eating more carbs. I haven't had anything baked or sweet (sugar) since over 4 months ago. I don't like soda, so that's a plus for me. I really don't need to lose weight...but did lose 5 lbs. I'm 5' 7 1/2", and weigh 145 right now. Overweight is not a problem with me. Being on a low fat diet will make your HDL lower and Tri higher due to the more carbs you eat. Cholesterol is very complex. I'm working hard on tweeking my numbers, but it is a lot of hard work. You have to disipline yourself whenever you make a meal. I haven't ate out since July...but that's OK. Try to make a appointment with a dietitian, that will help. Also exercise and really watch what you eat. I also do fish oil 3 times a day also. I don't want to go on statins, so doing the diet and exercise is working for me right now...it still need some tweeking, but I'm trying..lots of work but at least I know that I did try it. I really hope it works for you !!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
(female)

Amanda Love HB User

[QUOTE=Hypergirl48;3325601]I'd much rather change my eating/exercising for the rest of my life and lose my 80 extra pounds than take medicine the rest of my life. (Diabetics do it, whether they're on insulin or not.) But I need someone to say, "Hey, yeah, I made that work for me."
QUOTE]

I'm with you, sister! I'm 5'9" and 240 lbs, I need to lose about 80 lbs. too. I was on Zocor for 6 weeks and just switched to Zetia yesterday, when I had my follow up blood work. Will get the results in a couple of days and if they are good, I am stopping the Zetia and handling this with diet and exercise too.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
(female)

Hypergirl48 HB User

Thanks so much, Amanda and annmg! This is the positive feedback I was hoping for!

Annmg, that's a great change in four months! I decided to contact a naturopathic doctor (whose is also a registered pharmacist) that I took my son to see earlier this year, and will be working with her. The only dietician I knew about was at my ob/gyn office. I checked on that and found she is no longer there and they have not hired a replacement yet.

It is a difficult balancing act between fats and carbs. I think I was was going too far on the low-fat end, as I was ignoring the carb amounts, for the most part. (Last year my TG was 117 and now it's 304!) I'm researching, reading, and learning! I'm trying to get a good balance in the middle, and it's hard, but will be well worth it--if it works!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Old 11-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Cut out carbs from sugar, flour, pasta, potatoes, and rice.

Add good fats like avacado and extra virgin olive oil.

Personally, I got the best cholesterol results when doing Atkins. I was able to consistently lose 1/2 pound a day on that diet with daily exercise.

My guess is your HDL is so low from reducing fat too much. My HDL went way down too, when I reduced fat from my diet.

Given how low your HDL is, you may want to consider niacin as this is the only known substance to increase HDL significantly. Some take immediate release, but the flushing can be really bad, and others take Niaspan, which does not cause as much flushing.

You are taking the right approach by losing weight and exercising.

Best of luck.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
(female)

Amanda Love HB User

I don't understand how anyone can "lower" their cholesterol on Atkins. The only way to get cholesterol into your body is by eating animal anything...flesh or dairy. And Atkins is all about meat and cheese!

I just don't get it.

Best way to lower the bad cholesterol in your body, stop eating stuff that used to have a face!

Old 11-28-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Love View Post
The only way to get cholesterol into your body is by eating animal anything...flesh or dairy.

Actually... you are far from correct. You do not need any dietary cholesterol... none at all.

You liver produces all the cholesterol your body needs. The problem with most people with high cholesterol is that their liver produces way too much cholesterol, and has nothing to do with dietary cholesterol. You body and cells need cholesterol to survive... you can't live without it.

This is why statins are prescribed... they basically interupt or partailly shut down your liver's production of cholesterol.

80% of cholesterol is produced by your liver during your sleep cycle.

When I cut out all animal cholesterol from my diet (a vegan diet)... my cholesterol went through the roof and my HDL decreased markedly... the lowest I've ever recorded... about 35 or so. On Atkins, my HDL went up markedly... like into the 50's. Thus, my ratio improved a lot, even though I never achieved the other numbers in the "normal" range.

It's fact, fat increases HDL, and you want your HDL to be as high as you can get it. HDL below 40 is bad, even if your LDL and Total cholesterol are in check.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 11-28-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:25 PM   #8
(female)

Amanda Love HB User

Right, that's what I meant....the only way to get "dietary" cholesterol into your body was through animal products. Guess I left out a word!

Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

I understood you... My point is that eating animal anything is not the culpret for high cholesterol. Your liver is.

Reducing animal fat and dietary cholesterol only seems to help a small number folks trying to reduce cholesterol. I bet folks with high cholesterol fall into the old 80/20 rule... 80% can not reduce their high cholesterol with diet alone, while 20% can.

Some folks don't eat anything with a 'face' for personal reasons. But eliminating these foods to lower cholesterol only helps a small minority of folks. Most or stuck with needing meds. I know petite people with cholesterol through the roof, and many post that weight loss and diet have not help with cholesterol, me included.

But some have. I'm hoping you are one of the lucky ones where diet and exercise lowers yours.

In any case, exercise and diet are great no matter what the cause.

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 11-28-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #10
(female)

Hypergirl48 HB User

Thanks for all the support, everyone!

I finally gave in and told my doc that I couldn't/don't want to take the statins. I mentioned Niaspan, and he that that was good to try. He mentioned the flushing and such, and that I should take it at night. (How expensive is that anyway?) I'm giving my current program a while yet, and then add in the Niaspan if needed. I really don't want to take anything, but I'd prefer the Niaspan to the statins any day, if I have to take something.

I have read many places where cholesterol, and especially TG, can be reduced by losing weight. I have increased the GOOD fat in my diet, decreased the carbs, and cut almost all refined carbs. Added the oat bran, Supershots, flax seed oil, lots more veggies, and some fruits, omega-3 foods like tuna and salmon, etc.

Well, I'm on this road now and plan to stick it out!

Thanks, all!

Old 11-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

SOunds like you are doing the right thing by your diet. Best of luck.

Closed Thread