It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 05:12 AM   #1
(female)

annmg HB User
question about tuna fish

Is can tuna fish just as good for you as fresh fish? It reads on the can (tuna in water, not oil) that it has 30mg of cholesterol. It's hard to get fresh fish here where we live, and was wondering about the can tuna in water . I would like to add it to my toss salad for something different. I would not use it with mayo. Thanks

Old 12-29-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User
Re: question about tuna fish

annmg,

No - it is not as good as 'fresh' tuna, but it is still good for you nonetheless.

When getting canned tuna, get Albacore tuna packed in water - it will have the highest Omega-3 levels. The problem with getting it packed in oil is that the omega-3 mixes with the oil and is partly lost when you drain off the oil. Fresh tuna is higher in Omega-3s than the canned variety. The reason being most canned tuna is cooked twice during processing and some Omega-3s are lost.

"Light tuna" is a bit lower in Omega-3 than Albacore.

One warning about tuna - the FDA recommends that "pregnant and nursing women, women of childbearing age and children limit their consumption of canned albacore tuna and tuna steaks to no more than 6 ounces per week and light tuna to no more than 12 ounces per week". This is due to the mercury content in tuna.

Salmon is also very high in Omega-3s - you can get that canned also. Pacific Salmon is significantly lower in mercury than Albacore also.

I'd say eat the tuna and salmon in place of red meat - on a salad is great. If you want to go with the light-tuna (lower in mercury) you can make up for the Omega-3 with a fish oil capsule.

HubbleRules

Last edited by HubbleRules; 12-29-2007 at 07:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread