It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
(female)

boubou HB User
Statin side effects, RYR and vitamin C

I'm a little confused. After reading about the statin side effects, <removed> I'm convinced that I do not want to take these drugs to lower my cholesterol (which went back up after stopping the RYR - but not as high as before).
My confusion lies in the fact that RYR DOES contains statins, how is it safer to consume these supplements over the meds? How are the statins in the RYR safer?
Also, when taking a prescription of cholesterol lowering drug, one isn't supposed to consume grapefruit. How about oranges or vitamin C?
Can I take vitamin C with RYR?
From what I read, vitamin C are great at lowering cholesterol as well.

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-13-2008 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
(male)

Arizona77 HB User
Re: Statin side effects, RYR and vitamin C

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
I'm a little confused. After reading about the statin side effects, <removed> I'm convinced that I do not want to take these drugs to lower my cholesterol (which went back up after stopping the RYR - but not as high as before).
My confusion lies in the fact that RYR DOES contains statins, how is it safer to consume these supplements over the meds? How are the statins in the RYR safer?
Also, when taking a prescription of cholesterol lowering drug, one isn't supposed to consume grapefruit. How about oranges or vitamin C?
Can I take vitamin C with RYR?
From what I read, vitamin C are great at lowering cholesterol as well.
Hi boubou,

You ask many great questions here. All I can say from personal experience prior to six months ago I took a high dosage of Red Yeast Rice 1,200mg twice daily for over three years with no issues and no side effects. However, Red Yeast Rice is a natural statin and acts like a statin. That is why many that can not tolerate an RX statin could have a problem tolerating Red Yeast Rice. It really depends on the individual. Also I have heard people who took Red Yeast Rice and it did nothing for their numbers. It will depends on ones situation. Personally I would much rather take Red Yeast Rice than an RX statin.

My Doctor now has me taking 2,000mg immediate release Niacin daily. I have been on Niacin for over six months now and am having my lipid panel in two weeks. I am very eager to see how the Niacin has been working. I have never tried Niacin before but have gone through a lot working up to 2,000mg daily. I still flush but I am used to it. Also my Doctor advised me he will not allow me to go back on the Red Yeast Rice as he said Niacin is a proven, safe, and effective treatment option and he said Red Yeast Rice is not. This is all fully quoting my Doctor.

He further stated that my numbers were not to high to begin with and he said there is no reason for me to take an RX statin and that is why he prefers me to be on Niacin.

As for Vitamin C I take 2,000mg daily. You will have no problems taking Vitamin C with the Red Yeast Rice or anything else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
(female)

boubou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona77 View Post
Red Yeast Rice is a natural statin and acts like a statin. That is why many that can not tolerate an RX statin could have a problem tolerating Red Yeast Rice. Personally I would much rather take Red Yeast Rice than an RX statin.
If it acts like statin, then why is it better? how do we know the amount of statin in the RYR? (playing devil's advocate).
Why would you rather take the ryr over the statin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona77 View Post
Also my Doctor advised me he will not allow me to go back on the Red Yeast Rice as he said Niacin is a proven, safe, and effective treatment option and he said Red Yeast Rice is not. This is all fully quoting my Doctor.
If your doctor doesn't think it's "safe" then is it???

I'm taking it again (RYR) but just not sure it's the best thing to do. I'm only taking 600mg per day. Waiting for new blood work in february or march to see if that brings my number back down.

I'm really confused wether I should take a cholesterol medication or RYR...I've got to make up my mind.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
(male)

Arizona77 HB User

Quote:
If it acts like statin, then why is it better? how do we know the amount of statin in the RYR? (playing devil's advocate).
Why would you rather take the ryr over the statin?

If your doctor doesn't think it's "safe" then is it???

I'm taking it again (RYR) but just not sure it's the best thing to do. I'm only taking 600mg per day. Waiting for new blood work in february or march to see if that brings my number back down.

I'm really confused wether I should take a cholesterol medication or RYR...I've got to make up my mind.
You are right. We do not know the amount of statins in each Red Yeast Rice product. If you were to take one brand and switch to another the amount of statins will be completely different as there is no one to one ratio with this herb. As for safety there was a warning a few months back on three vitamin manufactures that make Red Yest Rice and they found toxic by products in them. If you want to be consistent and want to make sure you are getting the same doesage of your statin you will need to stick with an RX. Also it depends how high your numbers are. If they are high to begin with Red Yeast Rice will have a modest effect in lowering your numbers as opposed to a higher doesage on an RX statin.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
(female)

boubou HB User

My numbers were extremely high at 323.7 mg/dL back in July. Diet and RYR brought them down to 128.7 mg/dL
I quit taking the ryr because my stomach was hurting me and my numbers went back up to:245.7 mg/dL
So RYR worked really really well on me....just sitting here wondering about taking Rx or sticking with the safer (or not) unknown (RYR).

Old 01-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
(male)

Arizona77 HB User

Quote:
My numbers were extremely high at 323.7 mg/dL back in July. Diet and RYR brought them down to 128.7 mg/dL
I quit taking the ryr because my stomach was hurting me and my numbers went back up to:245.7 mg/dL
So RYR worked really really well on me....just sitting here wondering about taking Rx or sticking with the safer (or not) unknown (RYR).
Hi Boubou,

I am with you all the way. My Doctor has me taking 2,000mg immediate release Niacin all at once at bed time. I have been on this dosage for six months now. I am having my lipid panel done next week. I am very eager to say the least how my numbers turn out. I have no idea where I am at number wise as I have never taken Niacin before. All I can do is hope for the best. I will post my results and share with everyone once I find out.

Closed Thread