It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
(female)

jules7701 HB User
how much red yeast rice should one take without danger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
(male)

Arizona77 HB User
Re: how much red yeast rice should one take without danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules7701 View Post
1,200mg twice daily is max. You will still need to monitor your liver function and take it under care of a Doctor. Red Yeast Rice is excellent even though it is all natural it acts like a drug in your body and needs to be treated that way. Red Yeast Rice is safe but taking 1,200mg twice daily is the absolute max one can take.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
(male)

mmvic HB User

Arizona 77, I really disagree with you <removed>.

With some research , you will find RYR has been studied to dosages in the 90 grams range although this is not recommended. The level of Monconlin K or statins is very low and much lower than commericial statins. 1200 mg is quite safe and higher dosages are not out of the question althugh not generally needed. If you get unusual muscle pain or symptoms, see the doctor. If not, you are wasting your money and his time. Remember, this supplement has been used as a food in large quantities in China for centuries and still is.

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-23-2008 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Please respond in a supportive and respectful manner to other posters.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
(male)

Arizona77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmvic View Post
Arizona 77, I really disagree with you <removed>.

With some research , you will find RYR has been studied to dosages in the 90 grams range although this is not recommended. The level of Monconlin K or statins is very low and much lower than commericial statins. 1200 mg is quite safe and higher dosages are not out of the question althugh not generally needed. If you get unusual muscle pain or symptoms, see the doctor. If not, you are wasting your money and his time. Remember, this supplement has been used as a food in large quantities in China for centuries and still is.
Hi mmvic Yes you bring up an excellent point and I agree. In deed in Chinese medicine Red Yeast Rice can be taken in very high amounts. Personally when I used to take Red Yeast Rice and did so daily for over three years I never exceeded 1,200mg twice daily as I was advised not to do so. Also I am still learning more about Red Yeast Rice. It offers many other great health benefits like helping ones spleen and improving circulation and many other ailments. Red Yeast Rice is great and I am all for it! I had outstanding results when I took it but my Doctor had me go on Niacin in hopes to raise my HDL more.

Also wanted to kindly ask you what is your opinion on Niacin? I honestly have mixed emotions on it. What I am concerned about is my blood sugar and liver function.

As mentioned previously I took 1,200mg of Red Yeast Rice twice daily for over three years and had outstanding results. It was only that my HDL was on the lower end side 42 as of my last test this past August. I have never had any blood sugar issues in the past and never had any problems with my liver. I am just very concerned if I stay the course with Niacin that I can develop problems down the road and I am going to ask my Doctor tomorrow about that.

Finally after six months I am having my lipid panel tomorrow! It will be very interesting to see how my numbers turn out as I have never taken Niacin before and have been taking 2,000mg immediate release for six months now. I will share my results with everyone. Wish me luck

Last edited by Arizona77; 01-24-2008 at 09:42 AM.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
(male)

mmvic HB User

Arizona77, Niacin in various active forms, has been shown to be effective in raising HDL and in some cases lowering TC. The documentation supporting this is very sound although the claims for lowering TC are less common.

The side effects for Niacin include flushing, headaches, increased glucose, increased uric acid, stomach upsets. The flushing is annoying but generally not serious. I don't know what to say about the glucose, uric acid (gout and kidney stones) and stomach issues since they might lead to more serious problems.
I take moderate dose , about 100 mg, included with daily vitamins without problems. I don't need more since my HDL is 60 to 70 range without it. In your case, I'd be ambivalent and probably shoot for 250mg to 500 mg with RYR and see the response.Less chance of side effects at these doses. If I remember right, Lenin good good results at 500 mg.

Good luck either way

Closed Thread