It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
(male)

Arizona77 HB User
6 month results of Niacin therapy

Prior to six months ago I used to take 1,200mg of
Red Yeast Rice twice daily for over three years for my lipid management. My previous numbers were great on the Red Yeast Rice but six months ago during my annual check up my numbers were as fallows.

Total: 134
LDL: 75
HDL: 42
TRIG: 83

After seeing these results my Doctor wanted me to raise my HDL more as he was not confertable of having my HDL just 2 points above the normal range for men. At that time my Doctor slowly worked me up to take 2,000mg of immediate release Niacin at bed time. It was a tough journey working my way up to 2,000mg. Now six months later I hardly flush anymore and it does not bother me. After I reviewed my new tests results with my Doctor today he advised for me to stay the course with Niacin and I will. As for my lab the Niacin had no impact at all for my blood sugar levels nor my liver function and was very pleased about that. I asked my Doctor if long term Niacin usage can cause type 2 diabetes or liver damage and he said, "Absolutely not and there is no correlation with Niacin usage and type 2 diabetes and liver abnormalities". This is all fully quoting my Doctor. My test results today were as fallows.

TOTAL: 155
LDL: 75
HDL: 70
TRIG: 49

I was very pleased to see such a positive result with my HDL and TRIG. Despite working out and eating right for the past three years this is the best lipid profile I have ever had. I am very glad I gave Niacin a try and hope to maintain my numbers in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to Arizona77 For This Useful Post:
UTVOL06 (09-06-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
(female)

boubou HB User
Re: 6 month results of Niacin therapy

WOW, you are doing great!
so this is the best even compared to RYR???
My HDL is good, it's my LDL that's too high. Would niacin work better?
I see that it didn't touch your LDL

Still not sure what to do. Keep us updated
I'm still using RYR even tho it bothers my stomach, will use zantac if it gets bad. I've also started using phytosterol a bit to block the fat in the food.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Good job!

I should get my blood tested again too...

Old 01-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Arizona, it looks like the niacin's working great for you. Are you planning to cycle the niacin or are you just going to continue at your present dose?

Old 01-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
(male)

Arizona77 HB User

Thank you all for your support and encouragement. If it was not for this forum and support from all of you I could have never done this and want to thank you all for sharing your experiences. Per my Doctor he wants me to maintain 2,000mg immediate release daily. He advised he wants to see me back during the first week in June about 4 1/2 months from now. I hope I can maintain my numbers with the Niacin. It seems to be helping.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:08 AM   #6
(male)

jimmyd57 HB User

Hi Arizona.

Great results Arizona. It sounds like you have a good doctor!! First of all I would like to thank you personally for the help you have given me on this forum. It was your doctor's advice to start you on niacin and you telling us about it on this that gave me the incentive to give it a try also. When I started on the niaspan ( 500 then a 1000mg) my doctor said he had no other patients on it. After the 3 months I then went on the 2000mg of regular niaspan and my numbers are almost exactly the same as yours. I hope that this translates into better health for both of us into the future!!

Your numbers were Total 155
Hdl 70
Ldl 75
Trig 49
My numbers were Total 153
Hdl 67.5
Ldl 77
Trig 18

Pretty amazing how close these results are after taking the 2000 mg niacin. I am however still taking 20 mg of Zocor every day. My next visit to the doctor I am going to ask about stopping. I have been told by several doctors that I will be on it for the rest of my life and I find the thought of stopping a little frightening. I have not had any of the numerous side effects that many people encounter but have always been a little concerned about the use of statins. The idea for the moment is to leave well enough alone. Maybe after my next blood results in about 21/2 months will have some better ideas . All good stuff!!!

Last edited by jimmyd57; 01-27-2008 at 07:28 AM. Reason: not finished the post

Old 01-27-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
(male)

Arizona77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydale57 View Post
Hi Arizona.

Great results Arizona. It sounds like you have a good doctor!! First of all I would like to thank you personally for the help you have given me on this forum. It was your doctor's advice to start you on niacin and you telling us about it on this that gave me the incentive to give it a try also. When I started on the niaspan ( 500 then a 1000mg) my doctor said he had no other patients on it. After the 3 months I then went on the 2000mg of regular niaspan and my numbers are almost exactly the same as yours. I hope that this translates into better health for both of us into the future!!

Your numbers were Total 155
Hdl 70
Ldl 75
Trig 49
My numbers were Total 153
Hdl 67.5
Ldl 77
Trig 18

Pretty amazing how close these results are after taking the 2000 mg niacin. I am however still taking 20 mg of Zocor every day. My next visit to the doctor I am going to ask about stopping. I have been told by several doctors that I will be on it for the rest of my life and I find the thought of stopping a little frightening. I have not had any of the numerous side effects that many people encounter but have always been a little concerned about the use of statins. The idea for the moment is to leave well enough alone. Maybe after my next blood results in about 21/2 months will have some better ideas . All good stuff!!!
Hi jimmydale57,

Thank you very much for your support and encouragement as well. Also I want to thank everyone else on this board who have helped me with the transition to Niacin. It was a tough journey and as mentioned in my previous posts I greatly apprecite everyones support and encouragement and so happy that I found something that works well for me. I honestly was very worried for some time but my Doctor reassured me I would be fine. I still take 2,000mg immediate release all at once at bed time per my Doctor's orders and was advised to stay the course. I hope I can maintain my numbers. Most importantly if it was not for my diet and exercise I could have never achieved the numbers I did. I am happy to be on Niacin and I am very happy that many on this board suggested me to take Niacin and happy my Doctor agreed to put me on it.

I hope that all goes well for your next test. Keep up with the Niacin it seems to be working great for you! Your numbers are very good and happy that you found the right treatment option that works. Keep up the good work!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
(female)

Pat007 HB User

Good going Arizona! Gives us hope.

My husband was switched to Niaspan a couple months ago. The Lipitor at 20mgs. was causing too much muscle discomfort.

His numbers after 1 month with 500 Niaspan: (He is still taking 2-600mgs RYR)
T/C - 181
Hdl - 53
Trg - 53
LDL - 118

Our physician upped the Niaspan to 1,000 and with my gentle nudging I encouraged hubby to start on 3 - Omega 3 fatty acids each day..... the doctor backed me up, said I was the "Good Wife."

He will be having another test in 4 weeks.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
(male)

Arizona77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat007 View Post
Good going Arizona! Gives us hope.

My husband was switched to Niaspan a couple months ago. The Lipitor at 20mgs. was causing too much muscle discomfort.

His numbers after 1 month with 500 Niaspan: (He is still taking 2-600mgs RYR)
T/C - 181
Hdl - 53
Trg - 53
LDL - 118

Our physician upped the Niaspan to 1,000 and with my gentle nudging I encouraged hubby to start on 3 - Omega 3 fatty acids each day..... the doctor backed me up, said I was the "Good Wife."

He will be having another test in 4 weeks.
Hi Pat007,

Hope that everything works out well for your husband. Yes there is hope! Omega 3 fatty acids are outstanding. I have been taking Omega 3 fish oil daily for the past four years and will not go a day with out it. It offers so much other health benifits as well. Again hope that you and your husband see more positive results. Keep up the good work!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
(female)

Rita27 HB User

HI, I am interested in this post because my doctor recently suggested I try Niacin therapy. I had been on it like 5 yrs. ago, and I could not stand the flushing. I can't take the statins because of the muscle pain. I am currently trying to lose weight and see if that helps, but it probably won't since I have familial high bp and cholesterol.

My question is does the flushing stop after a while?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #11
(male)

Arizona77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita27 View Post
HI, I am interested in this post because my doctor recently suggested I try Niacin therapy. I had been on it like 5 yrs. ago, and I could not stand the flushing. I can't take the statins because of the muscle pain. I am currently trying to lose weight and see if that helps, but it probably won't since I have familial high bp and cholesterol.

Hi Rita27,

Hope that everything works out for you. As for Niacin the flush will never go away. I have been taking Niacin daily for 7 months now and I still flush. The flush is due to a histamine response in your body. If you want to try and avoid the flush they recommend taking a small doesage of aspirin 30mins prior to taking your Niacin. However, I do not do so. Hang in there! You may want to start on a low doesage and work your way up. But in regards to the flush every time you take Niacin a flush will occur.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita27 View Post

Some people report that the flushing eventually goes away or is minimal, after taking it for a while. For others it never goes away.

You could try Niaspan, if it is a real problem.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Arizona, were you have flushing at the lower dose when you stepped up to a higher dose? I always assumed that after a period of time at say 1 gram the flushing stopped and then you gradually increased the dose. When the flush stopped you increased again untill you got to the desired dose.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #14
(male)

Arizona77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red60 View Post
Arizona, were you have flushing at the lower dose when you stepped up to a higher dose? I always assumed that after a period of time at say 1 gram the flushing stopped and then you gradually increased the dose. When the flush stopped you increased again untill you got to the desired dose.
Hi Red60,

When I first started taking immediate release Niacin I started taking 500mg once daily. For the first few weeks and towards the end of my first month on Niacin the flush would become less intense. But when my Doctor increased me to 1,000mg and now 2,000mg the flush got worse. Now I still flush but not as bad as when I first started. I now take 2,000mg all at once at bed time so with such a high doesage I continue to flush but it is very tolerable. If you can give Niacin a try I would say it is worth considering. It has worked so well for me and I am very fortunate that I found the right therapy for my lipid management for the time being. I just hope it will continue to work well. For months I was very concerned and when I had my lipid panel last month my Doctor was very pleased and said stay the course with Niacin.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #15
(female)

Pat007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona77 View Post
Hi Pat007,

Hope that everything works out well for your husband. Yes there is hope! Omega 3 fatty acids are outstanding. I have been taking Omega 3 fish oil daily for the past four years and will not go a day with out it. It offers so much other health benifits as well. Again hope that you and your husband see more positive results. Keep up the good work!
Hi, Arizona77,

Can you post your BLOOD SUGAR results when you have your tests done again in June? (I saw that you are having them drawn at that time from another post)

My husband was on 500mg. for one month.

Numbers JAN 2008:
TC- 181
HDL- 53
TRIG 53
LDL- 118
Blood sugar was not on result sheet.

Numbers FEB 2008:
TC- 182
HDL- 51
TRG- 94 **(higher then in Jan)
LDL- 113
BLOOD SUGAR was 118 *** (did not have a result last month)

Today the Doc was little concerned over the blood sugar and wants to keep an eye on it as he has never presented any diabectic symptoms before.

He also raised Niaspan to 1,500 mg. and wiil be re-drawn in 1 month in March.

Last edited by Pat007; 02-18-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Closed Thread