It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 03:20 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Lutheran122 HB User
Cool A few questions for the smart peeps here..

1] What is the best way to keep inflammation from occuring in the arterys? Is there a supplement that can help me achieve this?

2] What is the best way to change small particle LDL into not being small particle?

3] What is the best way to reduce homocystene levels in the blood? Again is there a supplement that can help me do this as my levels are high.

4] RYR , how much per day should I take and will it hurt me if I take it along with my cholosterol medication? I would like to eventually just take that and not take a statin since I get body aches.

I believe that inflammation is the greatest risk for having a heart attack , moreso then cholesterol levels so I really want to bring it down as my blood test showed my levels to be moderatly high. I am still taking crestor but no longer taking Zetia with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 02:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User
Re: A few questions for the smart peeps here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutheran122 View Post
1] What is the best way to keep inflammation from occuring in the arterys? Is there a supplement that can help me achieve this? ....
This begs the question, what causes the inflammation in the first place? There are probably a number of different causes, but a major one is thought to be oxidative stress. It is the result of inhaling smoke and/or pollution, and the consumption of processed foods, especially food containing partially hydrogenated oils and/or unsaturated oils that have been used in cooking. High insulin and stress hormone levels are also thought to cause inflammation. Anti-oxidant vitamins, like vitamin C and E, supposedly reduce inflammation, but study results are inconclusive. Aspirin is an anti-infammatory, but causes stomach bleeding in large doses. A recent study with salsalate produced encouraging results, reducing CRP by 34%. But an earlier study suggests that it increases heart attack risk. So who knows? Probablythe best you can do is is get those lifestyle factors in line with good health. Find a clean environment, reduce stress, eat whole foods and get lots of exercise.

Last edited by Mark1e; 02-03-2008 at 02:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User

Quote:
1] What is the best way to keep inflammation from occuring in the arterys? Is there a supplement that can help me achieve this?
Mark1E had a good answer for this. Regarding supplements, you could try some Omega 3s plus get your vitamin D levels checked.

Quote:
2] What is the best way to change small particle LDL into not being small particle?
Reduce or eliminate wheat and high glycemic foods from your diet. Fish oil might help too.

Quote:
3] What is the best way to reduce homocystene levels in the blood? Again is there a supplement that can help me do this as my levels are high.
Folic acid, B-12, B-6 and Betaine can help homocysteine, but I'm not sure if the studies out there showed any actual benefit to lowering homocysteine via supplements. Worth a shot though, if your homocysteine is particularly elevated or you are deficient in the above vitamins. You can ask your doctor to check your folate and B-12 (maybe B-6 too) blood levels, if you want.

Quote:
4] RYR , how much per day should I take and will it hurt me if I take it along with my cholosterol medication? I would like to eventually just take that and not take a statin since I get body aches.
I'm not sure if it's wise to take both RYR and a statin at the same time, as they basically are the same thing (RYR being natural and lower dose). Have you been taking CoQ10 along with your statin? If not, you should be.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Lutheran122 HB User

So basically any bread is no good for someone with heart disease? I thought whole wheat products are supposed to be good for the heart...

Old 02-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User

Quote:
So basically any bread is no good for someone with heart disease? I thought whole wheat products are supposed to be good for the heart...
Whole wheat is better than white bread, but bread or high carbohydrate foods, in general, aren't good for your heart.

Don't be fooled by 'Heart Healthy' labels on foods, or similar claims. You'll find breads, dressings, desserts, etc. with those sorts of labels, stating 'no trans fat', or similar nonsense. If a food has loads of carbohydrates and/or sugar, but no saturated fats, it's still not healthy, even if it's wheat.

Personally, I haven't removed all wheat products from my diet, but my blood results didn't differ much between a diet of low wheat, compared to a no wheat diet. But my triglycerides did improve some when I eliminated almost all dessert-type foods (cakes, cookies, muffins, etc), reduced wheat to low carbohydrate bread (Arnold's makes a decent one), and wheat or quinoa pasta (occasionally).

Results may vary depending on how much wheat you currently eat. It's in tons of foods, so you may be eating a lot and not even be aware of it.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
... I thought whole wheat products are supposed to be good for the heart...
Whole wheat bread is supposedly heart healthy because it contains lots of fibre, no cholesterol, and no fat. The science behind this is dubious, to say the least. And from an inflammation perspective, bread perhaps isn't so good. Anything that increases insulin levels may be contributing to inflammation, and whole wheat bread certainly does this. Especially if it is part of a high-carb diet. The same can be said of fruit and starchy vegetables. These foods also increase triglycerides, but this is not IMO the fundamental problem.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
(female)

boubou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1e View Post
The same can be said of fruit and starchy vegetables. These foods also increase triglycerides, but this is not IMO the fundamental problem.
I'm sorry, but I cannot buy into "eating lots of fruits and veggies" leading to high triglycerides, high sugar level = diabetes?
Diabetes is brought on by over-indulging into BAD carbs like cinnamon rolls and butter tarts, not apples, tomatoes and bananas.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

The jury is still out on what causes type 2 diabetes. But there can be no doubt that all carbs raise insulin levels and increase triglycerides. The bio-chemistry is well understood. The fact that carbohydrate occurs naturally in some foods doesn't change the way it is metabolised.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:33 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
I'm sorry, but I cannot buy into "eating lots of fruits and veggies" leading to high triglycerides, high sugar level = diabetes?
Diabetes is brought on by over-indulging into BAD carbs like cinnamon rolls and butter tarts, not apples, tomatoes and bananas.
Eating too many fruits, especially those high in fructose, isn't the healthiest. Yeah, it's healthier than eating cinnamon rolls or 20 cookies, but it'll still raise your triglycerides.

A limited diet of fruits, like apples, will be healthy, as the fiber from the fruit protects against a glycemic rush. Berries are also a good choice, since (I think) the sugar is metabolized differently than most sugary fruits. And fruits like apples and blueberries obviously have other health benefits regardless of sugar intake.

The danger from fruit is really excessive fruit juice, as it has no fiber to counteract the sugar intake. And starchy vegetables (potatoes) convert to sugar and have limited nutritional benefit anyway.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:40 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Lutheran122 HB User

I eat bananas and peaches, mixed fruit from dole and sometimes grapes...I also have a lot of spinach in my diet and drink vegeatable juice every day and also orange juice every day..let me guess , all bad for you right. I might as well cut my throat right now , im tired of worrying about all this crap. Every day I come in here and read more and more threads that tell me that pretty much everything is no good for someone with heart issues. Now wheat products are bad , most fruit and some vegetables too..no meat is good for you , taking statins no longer work etc..I need to stop reading the internet websites and just do my best and wait out the inevitable. Its just all too depressing.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:19 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Quote:

I believe that inflammation is the greatest risk for having a heart attack , moreso then cholesterol levels so I really want to bring it down as my blood test showed my levels to be moderatly high. I am still taking crestor but no longer taking Zetia with it.

Lutheran,

CRESTOR will definitely help lower inflammation and your blood CRP level, which is a strong indicator of inflammation.

Vitamin C (approx. 1000 mg+ a day) will address many of your concerns. Vitamin C has been studied for almost every health condition from Cancer to Heart disease with very positive results.

Note: Magnesium is also known to help with many Cardio-related issues in ways that are still be researched.

The best way to change particle size, raise HDL, lower LDL, lower triglycerides and improve almost all lipid fractions is a vitamin called "NIACIN".
I currently take 3,000 mgs a day. The problem is many people experience a face and neck flushing side effect whent they start this vitamin. There is a new Extended release NIACIN called NIASPAN (available by prescription only) which suppose to avoid this side-effect.

For inflammation, FISH OIL (OMEGA-3), is probably the most researched supplement to decrease inflammation and lower triglycerides. (I take Enteric- coated to avoid the fish burps)

To lower HOMOCYSTEINE (take an excellent VITAMIN B-COMPLEX daily) The primary B vitamins associated with homocysteine are B6, B12 and mainly FOLIC ACID. If you take a B-Complex vitamin daily this should help lower your homocysteine.

I hope this information helps....

Old 02-04-2008, 07:52 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Lutheran122 HB User

Thanks a lot ACE , can you point me to the fish oil product you use that doesn't give a fish aftertaste? Also can I use the Niacin that doesn't give a flush ( flush free niacin inositol hhexanicotinate ) instead of the other kind? And can I use this along with my crestor?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User

Quote:
I eat bananas and peaches, mixed fruit from dole and sometimes grapes...I also have a lot of spinach in my diet and drink vegeatable juice every day and also orange juice every day..let me guess , all bad for you right. I might as well cut my throat right now , im tired of worrying about all this crap.
If your triglycerides are fine with the above diet, then I wouldn't worry about anything. If high, I'd consider dropping the orange juice and make sure the mixed fruit is packed in water, not syrup. Everything else is fine in moderation.
Just don't chomp down 10 bananas a day.

Quote:

Thanks a lot ACE , can you point me to the fish oil product you use that doesn't give a fish aftertaste? Also can I use the Niacin that doesn't give a flush ( flush free niacin inositol hhexanicotinate ) instead of the other kind? And can I use this along with my crestor?
The enteric-coated ones won't give you fishy burps, although it's difficult to tell if the fish oil is rancid, since it's all sealed up in it's little coating. The lemon flavored oils are good, like Nordic Naturals (capsules) or Carlson's (liquid).

Most cardiologists think flush-free niacin is useless, so I wouldn't expect it to help that much. I know of some old European studies state it could help, but for most people it doesn't do anything -- some docs consider flush-free niacin a scam.

If you want to try niacin with crestor, definitely speak to your doctor first, as I think it can increase the odds of some nasty side effects (muscle or liver related, I forget).

Old 02-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
(male)

Arizona77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE28 View Post
Lutheran,

CRESTOR will definitely help lower inflammation and your blood CRP level, which is a strong indicator of inflammation.

Vitamin C (approx. 1000 mg+ a day) will address many of your concerns. Vitamin C has been studied for almost every health condition from Cancer to Heart disease with very positive results.

Note: Magnesium is also known to help with many Cardio-related issues in ways that are still be researched.

The best way to change particle size, raise HDL, lower LDL, lower triglycerides and improve almost all lipid fractions is a vitamin called "NIACIN".
I currently take 3,000 mgs a day. The problem is many people experience a face and neck flushing side effect whent they start this vitamin. There is a new Extended release NIACIN called NIASPAN (available by prescription only) which suppose to avoid this side-effect.

For inflammation, FISH OIL (OMEGA-3), is probably the most researched supplement to decrease inflammation and lower triglycerides. (I take Enteric- coated to avoid the fish burps)

To lower HOMOCYSTEINE (take an excellent VITAMIN B-COMPLEX daily) The primary B vitamins associated with homocysteine are B6, B12 and mainly FOLIC ACID. If you take a B-Complex vitamin daily this should help lower your homocysteine.

I hope this information helps....
I agree..... Aim for at least 1,000mg Vitamin C up to 2,000mg. Definitely take some Fish Oil (Omega-3). Fish oil offers so many cardio benefits and is good for cancer prevention as well. Homocysteine a Vitamin B50 complex would be great. Mainly folic acid, B6, and B12 lower Homocysteine. Do not take high doses of folic acid as it is a known fact that high dosages of folic acid can trigger cardiovascular events. That is why many Doctors no longer prescribe high doeses of folic acid with high homocysteine levels. If you can tolerate Niacin go for it! Under my Doctor's care I have been taking 3,000mg immediate release daily all at once at bed time. It has greatly improved my lipid profile and raised my HDL from
42-70 in less than six months and lowered my TRIG to 48. Niacin is a very safe effective treatment. Before you start any thing best to talk with your Doctor about any supplements, Niacin, etc... Hope that everything works out for you!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #15
(female)

catspajamas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
A diabetic cannot eat all the apples, pears, peaches etc that they want. They will raise their sugar...so will vegetables such as carrots and beets, and corn...A diabetic has to portion fruit just like he has to portion the rest of his diet.....

Closed Thread