It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 140
GBug HB User
Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

When should someone consider taking coQ10 supplements?

I just read that taking statins may reduce the amount of coQ10 produced by the body by over 50%. This particular study by Columbia University found that 30 days of statin therapy (80 mg/day) reduced coQ10 levels by HALF. The statin dosage (80mg/day) in the study is very high but still I am concerned about this. The article also says that some researchers question whether this side effect counteracts any benefits of taking statins. The article also mentioned that taking coQ10 is not generally recommended while taking statins. Why is this not generally recommended?

I'm supposed to take 20mg of Lipitor per day but reading studies such as this really makes me wonder if they are safe. If I causing damage to my body (reducing coQ10) while taking statins, why are doctors prescribing statins? I really don't want to get back on the Lipitor. HELP!!! I don't know what to do.

 
Old 02-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Diego, Ca.
Posts: 1,829
sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Re: Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

My Dr. told me to take 100 mgs. of Co-Q10. I buy it at Trader Joe's.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Posts: 2
drgnlilli HB User
Re: Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

what is Co Q10?

 
Old 03-01-2008, 05:46 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SE Louisiana USA
Posts: 315
Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User
Re: Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

Do you watch the news? They said on the news one night that only those who have head heart attacks should be on statin drugs, that was last month! They are getting a lot of negative publicity now and are on the news a lot. Just yesterday they said they have found they DO cause tendon damage, something I already knew because I have suffered with that myself and have told my doctors it was caused by statin drugs and they thought I was crazy.

Rather CoQ10 would have prevented all the damaging side effects I had on them had I known to take it, is anybody's guess. They KNOW it depletes it from your body, one company even got a patent for a statin WITH CoQ10 in it back in the 80's but never has made it. <removed> I will personally, never take another one again.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-02-2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

 
Old 03-03-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 140
GBug HB User
Re: Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulubells View Post
Do you watch the news? They said on the news one night that only those who have head heart attacks should be on statin drugs, that was last month! They are getting a lot of negative publicity now and are on the news a lot. Just yesterday they said they have found they DO cause tendon damage, something I already knew because I have suffered with that myself and have told my doctors it was caused by statin drugs and they thought I was crazy.

Rather CoQ10 would have prevented all the damaging side effects I had on them had I known to take it, is anybody's guess. They KNOW it depletes it from your body, one company even got a patent for a statin WITH CoQ10 in it back in the 80's but never has made it. <removed> I will personally, never take another one again.
Lulubells, I have not seen the news report that you mentioned. I took myself off Lipitor about 8 weeks ago because I started having some isolated muscle problems, mainly in my hips. As a result, my LDL has skyrocketed to 163 and I am afraid to go back on Lipitor. I talked to my general physician last week and described my problem (pulled hip muscles on 3 occasions) and he said that Lipitor would not cause this. He said if a statin is causing muscle problems you would feel it all over your body. He said you would feel sore all over like you worked out, but didn't work out. After reading your post, I am beginning to question what my doctor told me. It is sad when you are taking medications and you don't believe what doctors are telling you. I just don't think alot of doctors know what kind of muscle-related problems that the statins would cause in the first place.

 
Old 03-03-2008, 07:13 AM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 140
GBug HB User
Question Re: Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

After re-reading this thread and thinking some more about coQ10, I have another question. If statins reduce the amount of coQ10 that our bodies produce, wouldn't statins affect coQ10 supplements as well?? If statins deplete body-made coQ10, why would it not deplete any coQ10 that is added to the body in the form of a supplement?

 
Old 03-03-2008, 07:35 AM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Copper Hill, VA
Posts: 119
Pat007 HB User
Re: Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBug View Post
After re-reading this thread and thinking some more about coQ10, I have another question. If statins reduce the amount of coQ10 that our bodies produce, wouldn't statins affect coQ10 supplements as well?? If statins deplete body-made coQ10, why would it not deplete any coQ10 that is added to the body in the form of a supplement?

The supplement should make up for what the body is depleting.
It should bring the enzyme back up to a normal level.

Statins have not been studied enough and drug companies just jump on the bandwagon to get their products out there.

IMO......They are so afraid that another company will discover a drug that would be successful....
They all want to be the NUMBER ONE!
__________________
Mountain Cat Woman
"Keep a song in your heart to chase the blues from your soul"PP

 
Old 03-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 404
janeslk HB User
Re: Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBug View Post
. I talked to my general physician last week and described my problem (pulled hip muscles on 3 occasions) and he said that Lipitor would not cause this. He said if a statin is causing muscle problems you would feel it all over your body. He said you would feel sore all over like you worked out, but didn't work out. After reading your post, I am beginning to question what my doctor told me. It is sad when you are taking medications and you don't believe what doctors are telling you. I just don't think alot of doctors know what kind of muscle-related problems that the statins would cause in the first place.
Yes, definitely rethink what your doctor has told you. My husband had isolated pain in his hip after taking Lipitor over an 8-year period. He was even checking into hip replacement and he was only in his early 50's. He stopped Lipitor after his dosage was upped with horrible side effects. The pain in his hip stopped after several months and high doses of CoQ 10. He still has muscle damage, but the pain has gone.

I think everyone is rethinking the role cholesterol plays in heart disease since the recent study showing a lowering of LDL didn't actually protect against heart attacks.

Jane

 
Old 03-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 140
GBug HB User
Re: Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeslk View Post
Yes, definitely rethink what your doctor has told you. My husband had isolated pain in his hip after taking Lipitor over an 8-year period. He was even checking into hip replacement and he was only in his early 50's. He stopped Lipitor after his dosage was upped with horrible side effects. The pain in his hip stopped after several months and high doses of CoQ 10. He still has muscle damage, but the pain has gone.

I think everyone is rethinking the role cholesterol plays in heart disease since the recent study showing a lowering of LDL didn't actually protect against heart attacks.

Jane
Jane--

Another concern that I have is this. Would my doctor tell me if he really thought that Lipitor was causing muscle damage? The doctor that told me that it would not cause the musclc problems I was having was not the prescribing physician. Maybe he wouldn't level with me in the first place out of fear of being involved in a lawsuit. I haven't even spoke to my cardiologist (who prescribed the Lipitor) about this yet. I totally expect him to say the same as the other physician because he would probably think he might be sued. I suppose when it comes down to something like this, you have to use your brains and do what you think is best. The orthopedic surgeon that I saw after my most recent injury told me that Lipitor COULD HAVE caused the muscle weakness and resulting injury. So here is how things stand, one physician says No, one says Yes, and one I haven't talked to. I can understand physicians being wary due to the litigous nature of society these days, however, I just want to be treated by a professional who will "do the right thing". It's getting where I don't trust any doctors. I don't want to sue anyone, I just want to do the right thing for my health.

 
Old 03-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Auckland
Posts: 533
Mark1e HB User
Re: Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

The bottom line is that, in most cases, the doctors don't know whether statins are causing muscle problems. Elevated liver enzymes are not a pre-requisite for this happening, and there is nothing else they can measure. If your liver enzymes were high, that would be evidence of muscle breakdown. And the doctor would tell you stop the statin. But in the absence of that kind of evidence, doctors are reluctant to stop statin treatment because it would expose them to legal action if you did in fact have a heart attack.

At the end of the day, you have to make your own decisions, based on the best information available to you. Stopping the statin will quickly reveal if was causing pain. It is then for you to decide what you want to do about it.
__________________
Type 1 since 1977. On Lantus, Novorapid and Actrapid.

 
Old 03-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 140
GBug HB User
Re: Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

After I began physical therapy for the hip muscle that I tore while dancing (unbelievable!), I had a blood test to check liver enzymes and CPK levels. My doc said that if the Lipitor was causing the problem, my CPK levels would be elevated due to inflammation of the muscle. I wasn't aware, and my doctor couldn't tell me if other medications could affect the test results. Anyway, I was taking Meloxicm (7.5) for inflammation and Dexamethosone at the time of my first test. Liver enzymes and CPK were both OK. After the test I asked if there was a possibility of getting false negatives if I was taking medication. The doc said maybe. I waited four weeks and had the blood test again and the results were negative again.

Can someone tell me if I can still have liver or muscle damage caused by Lipitor even if my blood test results (liver enzyme and CPK) are negative?

If Lipitor or any other statin causes muscle damage in one area of the body, isn't it reasonable to assume that damage is occuring in all muscles? The heart is one of the largest muscles in the body, right? I have a problem taking a pill that lowers my blood cholesterol yet causes permanent damage (or any damage for that matter) to my heart muscle.

 
Old 03-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York State
Posts: 679
HubbleRules HB User
Re: Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBug View Post
After re-reading this thread and thinking some more about coQ10, I have another question. If statins reduce the amount of coQ10 that our bodies produce, wouldn't statins affect coQ10 supplements as well?? If statins deplete body-made coQ10, why would it not deplete any coQ10 that is added to the body in the form of a supplement?
GBug,

Statins reduce the amount of CoQ10 that your body can produce, possibly to levels below what the body needs - no one is sure of this because CoQ10's role in health has not been extensively studied.

Statins don't actually remove CoQ10 from your body - they just keep your body from producing as much as it may need.

So if you take CoQ10 supplements, you are definitely adding to your body's CoQ10 stores.

Problem is, no one knows what an optimal level of CoQ10 is, nor do I know of any tests that measure the amount of CoQ10 in the body.

As for your question about muscle damage - yes, it can occur even if your CPK is normal. CPK detects rhabdomyolisis - where the muscle actually starts to break down. But some doctors think that muscle problems from statins can also be caused by lowered CoQ10 levels, not actual breakdown in muscle tissue.

I haven't read of any cases of liver damage in the absence of elevated liver enzyme levels.


HubbleRules
__________________
When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Last edited by HubbleRules; 03-05-2008 at 06:53 PM.

 
Old 03-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 310
Connie122516 HB User
Re: Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

The rate of muscle aches and pains with statins is about 5%. The rate of muscle aches and pains with placebo is also 5%.

In my opinion, the effectiveness of statins has been more than adequately proven, particularly in people who are at high risk of (or already have) heart disease.

That said, I would never take a statin without also taking CoQ10.

 
Old 03-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 140
GBug HB User
Re: Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
GBug,


Statins don't actually remove CoQ10 from your body - they just keep your body from producing as much as it may need.

So if you take CoQ10 supplements, you are definitely adding to your body's CoQ10 stores.

As for your question about muscle damage - yes, it can occur even if your CPK is normal. CPK detects rhabdomyolisis - where the muscle actually starts to break down. But some doctors think that muscle problems from statins can also be caused by lowered CoQ10 levels, not actual breakdown in muscle tissue.

I haven't read of any cases of liver damage in the absence of elevated liver enzyme levels.


HubbleRules
Thank you for your response. I didn't know whether the statin prevents the production of coQ10 by the body or depletes the amount in the body. Thanks for clarifying this.

As for the CPK levels, my doctor gave me the impression that if CPK levels were normal, there could be no muscle damage. I'm certainly not a doctor, but I didn't believe him when he told me this.

I know who I'm not going back to anymore. He told me before he checked my CPK levels that if there was muscle damage, he would put me on a different statin. It was/is my understanding that if one statin is causing muscle problems, all statins would have the same effect.

 
Old 03-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #15
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 140
GBug HB User
Re: Statins cause alarming reduction in coQ10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie122516 View Post
The rate of muscle aches and pains with statins is about 5%. The rate of muscle aches and pains with placebo is also 5%.

In my opinion, the effectiveness of statins has been more than adequately proven, particularly in people who are at high risk of (or already have) heart disease.

That said, I would never take a statin without also taking CoQ10.
Connie-- Thanks for the information. My doctors (internal medicine and cardiologist) never once mentioned CoQ10. I learned about it on this website. From everything I'd read here, and elsewhere on the Internet, one should take coQ10 when taking a statin.

Next question, how do you know you're buying the right supplement when you purchase CoQ10? There are so many brands out there. What do you look for when you purchase it? I want to make sure I'm getting the best product I can find.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
statins? redness Chronic Fatigue 12 04-04-2010 04:48 PM
Statins and cancer - give me a break Cora1003 Diabetes 5 07-25-2007 03:14 PM
Dr just put me on Zetia because I can't take statins clerky96 High Cholesterol 6 02-13-2007 08:51 PM
Side effects from statins ? dinney High Cholesterol 35 05-23-2006 09:27 PM
Weaning off statins Spin444 High Cholesterol 16 04-07-2006 03:06 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Aspirin
Crestor
Lipitor
Niaspan
Pravachol
  Simvastatin Tricor
Vytorin
Zetia
Zocor




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



JJ (25), yackedar (24), jenj770 (13), ARIZONA73 (10), rudiraven (10), Titchou (5), phil58 (4), AussieBloke (4), ladybud (4), tess201 (3)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1004), Apollo123 (904), Titchou (847), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (754), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (668), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:00 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!