It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
(female)

pattonedn HB User
High total cholesterol and very high LDL

Hello, can someone tell me more about high total cholesterol and High LDL
The results of my cholesterol test are as follows

Total: 279- normal is less than 200
LDL: 210- normal is less than 100 this scares me
TRIC: 165- normal is less than 150
HDL: was good

The doctor has told me to take Crestor. I have made and appointment to talk to her about using a natural resource instead, but I didnt realize how high my LDL was..help..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
(female)

GBug HB User
Re: High total cholesterol and very high LDL

You mentioned that your HDL is good. I was wondering because if LDL is 210 and TRI are 165, wouldn't HDL have to be 36 for your TC to be 279?

I just thought the numbers looked a little off if your HDL is above 40 (I think >40 is considered good). Correct me if I'm missing something. If not, you might want to look at the HDL and TC results again just to make sure.

TC=HDL + LDL + (TRI/5)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User

With an LDL over 200, I'm afraid a statin might be your best option. You can try changes in your diet and exercise, but if you are already eating right, etc., it's probably a genetic reason your LDL is so high. You should get a VAP test to see the particle sizes of the LDL too. If primarily large particle, it'd be less dangerous.

Major diet changes + exercise + Niaspan could possibly work, but you'd need a large dose of Niaspan, and I'm not sure it'd lower your LDL levels enough. See what your doctor says.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
(female)

GBug HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessme View Post
With an LDL over 200, I'm afraid a statin might be your best option. You can try changes in your diet and exercise, but if you are already eating right, etc., it's probably a genetic reason your LDL is so high. You should get a VAP test to see the particle sizes of the LDL too. If primarily large particle, it'd be less dangerous.

Major diet changes + exercise + Niaspan could possibly work, but you'd need a large dose of Niaspan, and I'm not sure it'd lower your LDL levels enough. See what your doctor says.
Thanks for all your advice/input this week. You seem to be very knowledgeable about cholesterol, testing, results, etc.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ron shelf HB User

Hi,

Have you tried vitamins? It's a wonderful way to lower your high cholesterol naturally.

<removed>

Here's an example:

High Cholesterol And vitamin C

Vitamin C is a nutrient that could dissolve cholesterol in the body.
It works by reducing the LDL levels. A dosage of 1,000 mg of Vitamin C everyday is prescribed to patients suffering from high cholesterol content. This the result of a test conducted to men and women aged 20 to 65 years old. When they took Vitamin C in the right amounts, their cholesterol content became increasingly manageable.
Vitamin E as a cure for High Cholesterol

Vitamin E is tagged as the neutralizer of cholesterol.
Vitamin E, being a fat-soluble vitamin, becomes part of the LDL in the bloodstream. As such, it had helped so much in preventing LDL to oxidize or to go rancid. These instance causes clogged arteries.
B Complex Vitamins as a Treatment for High Cholesterol

The B vitamins help a lot in lowering the homocysteine level of the body.
Inadequate intake of the B Vitamins could lead to increased risk of heart diseases due to high cholesterol level in the body.
Of all the B Vitamins, folic acid or Vitamin B9, is the most potent vitamin when it comes to resolving high cholesterol.
These three vitamins are what you need to ensure that your body's cholesterol level is manageable.
High cholesterol is a condition that should never be ignored. One's cholesterol level should be controlled before it could cause more severe diseases like heart failure.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-29-2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 02-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron shelf View Post
High Cholesterol And vitamin C

Vitamin C is a nutrient that could dissolve cholesterol in the body.
It works by reducing the LDL levels. A dosage of 1,000 mg of Vitamin C everyday is prescribed to patients suffering from high cholesterol content. This the result of a test conducted to men and women aged 20 to 65 years old. When they took Vitamin C in the right amounts, their cholesterol content became increasingly manageable.
Vitamin E as a cure for High Cholesterol

Vitamin E is tagged as the neutralizer of cholesterol.
Vitamin E, being a fat-soluble vitamin, becomes part of the LDL in the bloodstream. As such, it had helped so much in preventing LDL to oxidize or to go rancid. These instance causes clogged arteries.
The clinical studies on C + E for heart disease prevention is very iffy. Some studies show benefit, while others show none. And some studies (a recent one, in fact), say high dose E can raise the risk of mortality.

No harm in taking vitamin C, at 500-1000mg daily, but I wouldn't expect it to reduce LDL a whole lot. If anyone decides to take high dose E, I suggest making sure it's a mixed version. Alpha by itself can cause harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron shelf View Post

Of all the B Vitamins, folic acid or Vitamin B9, is the most potent vitamin when it comes to resolving high cholesterol.

Folic acid relates to homocysteine, not cholesterol. And there are studies that show high dose folic acid can reduce homocysteine levels, yet do not reduce the risk of heart disease. Several in fact (if I remember correctly) say it can increase the risk even. If anyone is considering high dose folic acid, I'd recommend getting their levels tested first, along with B-12 (to be on the safe side).

The B vitamin that does play a major role regarding cholesterol is Niacin. It's great for improving lots of cholesterol markers, but only take it under a doctor's care. No fun to improve your cholesterol, then blow out your liver.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:36 AM   #7
(female)

pattonedn HB User

I dont understand, seems like even the perscription medicine causes harm to..There has got to be something to get the bad chol. down. I am getting frustrated, and I know you guys are, I mean I hate the idea of taking something to fix one thing, and knowing that other problems can arise from it....more research I guess...Thanks... you people are great, and if I find anything good I will let you know...peace

Old 03-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
(female)

jana65 HB User

Here are some things you can try to bring down your cholestral:
1.) Eat oatmeal - the old fashioned kind or steel cut oats is best. I know, it's not that tasty- but I sprinkle Brown sugar ( Splenda) and berries or bananas over mine.
2.) Take fish oil capsules
3.)Try to get some- even 15 minutes- of exercise every day
I have had high cholestral for the past 10 years. I started on 10 mg of Lipitor and BEFORE I started my number was also 279. Gradually, over the years my dr. upped mine to 20mg. Then Last year, my dr. put me on blood pressure meds because mine had been trending higher and higher. Also, my cholestral - on medication, mind you , was 230 !!! He put me on 40 mg of Lipitor. I decided I had to get some kind of handle on things so I started eating oatmeal about 3-4 X weekly. I take fish oil and I try to get some exercise. I also try to eat high fiber in anything !! Bread, mostly. I didn't like the 40 mg of Lipitor...I was having odd, random pains and decided it must be the Lipitor. SO, on my own, I started taking it every OTHER day and continued the regimen described above.
Fast forward to two weeks ago... my total cholestral is now 206, HDL 58 and LDL 106. I was delighted.
Try it and see what works for you and good luck !

Jana65

Old 03-03-2008, 04:46 AM   #9
(female)

pattonedn HB User

thanks Jana65, I am going to try the oatmeal, I was talking to a lady yesterday, and she told me she at just plain oatmeal, everyday and no nabs, for those of you who dont know what nabs are they are the orange lance peanut butter and crackers, and beleive it or not she has lost a great deal of weight...Her doctor told her not to..and I eat nabs alot..so I am going to get the fish oil tablets this week...love all you guys for your help..it means alot

Old 03-03-2008, 07:30 AM   #10
(female)

GBug HB User
Smile Re: High total cholesterol and very high LDL

jana65

How long have you been taking Lipitor every other day? Are you taking 40mg every other day? I've been off mine (20mg) for almost 2 months now. I'm about to start taking it again. I have been eating alot of fiber as well. I would prefer to take it every other day like you. Looks as though you're getting fantastic results. My HDL and TRI's are very good, but my LDL was 163 last week. I just started the high fiber diet in the last three weeks so I really wasn't eating high fiber long enough to affect my LDL results.

Closed Thread