It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
(female)

luvmy82 HB User
Unhappy HELP! VAP Test Results Inside!

I just received my VAP cholesterol test results today, and I need your help and opinions on how good or bad my results were.

My PCP is as dumb as a box of rocks, and is not proficient in the area of proper cholesterol management. She just saw my results as "221" and wrote out an Rx for Zocor. I don't give up that easy.

If you dig deeper, and get a VAP test, your results can tell a very different story.

This is why I paid out of my own pocket to have a VAP test (which I never knew about, not did my PCP offer to have done until I dug around on the internet).

Here are my results:

LDL = 147
HDL = 58 (For clincal considerations: HDL-2 (most protective) = 15 (low) HDL-3 (less protective) = 43)

Total VLDL-C = 15
Total Cholesterol = 221
Triglycerides = 84

What in the heck does this mean? "Targets of Therapy Non HDL Col (LDL +VLDL) = 162

Lp (a) Cholesterol = 25
Remnant Lipoprot (IDL + VLDL3) = 16

Now here's the important one: LDL Density Pattern = A/B abnormal. Ok, so what do I have? Large density LDL (the good kind) or small density LDL (the bad kind)? Both? What am I looking at here?

VLDL 1+2 (Large buoyant) = 6.1
VLDL 3 (small remnant) = 9
Total VLDL Cholesterol = 15.1

IDL = 7

HELP?!!?! Can SOMEONE please decipher the test result for me and tell me if I'm a prime candidate for heart disease? Am I walking heart attack waiting to happen? Am I doomed to take Zocor for the rest of my life?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Bill 1950

Re: HELP! VAP Test Results Inside!

Can't help you with interpetation of results, but I'm glad you posted this. I didn't know about the VAP choloresterol test, but will ask my cardiologist to have this done on my next lipid panel date.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User

I can't remember the exact reference ranges for everything off the top of my head, but I'll take a shot at it.

LDL = 147
HDL = 58 (For clincal considerations: HDL-2 (most protective) = 15 (low) HDL-3 (less protective) = 43)

What in the heck does this mean? "Targets of Therapy Non HDL Col (LDL +VLDL) = 162

LDL is a bit higher than ideal. You probably should get this less than 130. The target of therapy comment is mostly referencing your high LDL. I thought the reference range for HDL-2 was 10 or higher, so unless they changed the ranges, a level of 15 is pretty good.

Now here's the important one: LDL Density Pattern = A/B abnormal. Ok, so what do I have? Large density LDL (the good kind) or small density LDL (the bad kind)? Both? What am I looking at here?

That means your particle size for LDL is so-so. It's not all bad... not all small particle, but it's not predominantly large either. If you look at that little graph on the report it should show where your particle sizes line up exactly. Niacin might help with particle size. My own particle sizes were A/B too, based on my last test. Hopefully Niacin can fatten up my LDL some.

Lp (a) Cholesterol = 25

This is the number that stands out to me. Assuming the reference range is the same as when I had my VAP (less than 10), it's something you should look into treating. A level of 25 isn't so awful, but you should lower it as much as possible. Niacin, lysine, and proline might help there, assuming the reference ranges are the same as I remember.

So... based on my best guesses, it seems your LDL needs a little work and you should try to treat your Lp(a).

Old 03-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Quote:
My PCP is as dumb as a box of rocks, and is not proficient in the area of proper cholesterol management. She just saw my results as "221" and wrote out an Rx for Zocor. I don't give up that easy
Sad but true for most, mine included. You would think they would at least take a few minutes to read Atherotech's information about the VAP.

Quote:
LDL = 147

Total VLDL-C = 15
Total Cholesterol = 221
Triglycerides = 84

Lp (a) Cholesterol = 25
Remnant Lipoprot (IDL + VLDL3) = 16
To me it looks like you have three areas to address with your treatment. Elevated LDL, Small particle LDL and Elevated Lp (a). The statin that your doctor is recommending will only address one of the issues the elevated LDL. With the statin your LDL will go down but will still be pattern a/b. The statin will do nothing at all for the Lp (a) which may well be your biggest lipid risk factor.

Niacin can address all of these areas and boost HDL if you can tolerate it. It is also one of the few treatments that can lower the Lp (a).

Fish oil never hurts.

I would guess that you already eat fairly clean based on you TGs levels but if you can cut back on grain products specifically wheat you may also see an improvement with LDL particle size and Lp (a).

Exercise, resistance and cardio.

Weight loss may also help. For me personally even being a little over my ideal weight seems to drive down the hdl and increase the particle size of the LDL. I'm 5'9" with a slight build, if my weight goes above 160lbs my lipid profile starts to look like someone with Metabolic Syndrome X. Most people would not consider me to be overweight at 160 but the difference in my lipids is significantly better when my weight is in the 150 to 155 range.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:48 AM   #5
(female)

luvmy82 HB User

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The statin will do nothing at all for the Lp (a) which may well be your biggest lipid risk factor.

Niacin can address all of these areas and boost HDL if you can tolerate it. It is also one of the few treatments that can lower the Lp (a).

How much niacin should I be taking and how often? Is it based on weight?

Fish oil never hurts.

I'm taking 1000 mg Krill Oil, because of the free radicals which fish oil does not have.

I would guess that you already eat fairly clean based on you TGs levels but if you can cut back on grain products specifically wheat you may also see an improvement with LDL particle size and Lp (a).

Actually, 2 1/2 weeks ago, I had a CBC for my annual physical. When I got the results (below) I was stunned. So, right then and there, I dropped all animal protien from my diet (no chicken, turkey, pork or beef). I replaced the missed protien in my diet with soy and other plant sources or, I will have a protien shake when there is no protien sources in my food for the day.

It's obvious from the results that animal protien was a big problem with my cholesterol profile:

Total Cholesterol: Was: 241 Now: 221
LDL Was: 174 Now: 147
HDL Was: 48 Now: 58
Triglycerides Was: 97 Now: 84

Old 03-09-2008, 06:49 AM   #6
(female)

luvmy82 HB User

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The statin will do nothing at all for the Lp (a) which may well be your biggest lipid risk factor.

How much niacin should I be taking and how often? Is it based on weight?

Fish oil never hurts.

I'm taking 1000 mg Krill Oil, because of the free radicals which fish oil does not have.

Actually, 2 1/2 weeks ago, I had a CBC for my annual physical. When I got the results (below) I was stunned. So, right then and there, I dropped all animal protien from my diet (no chicken, turkey, pork or beef). I replaced the missed protien in my diet with soy and other plant sources or, I will have a protien shake when there is no protien sources in my food for the day.

It's obvious from the results that animal protien was a big problem with my cholesterol profile:

Old 03-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy82 View Post
... I dropped all animal protien from my diet (no chicken, turkey, pork or beef). I replaced the missed protien in my diet with soy and other plant sources or, I will have a protien shake when there is no protien sources in my food for the day.

The only thing that is obvious to me is that your cholesterol came down. Cutting out animal protein would not have had anything to do with it. When you reduce the supply of cholesterol from food, your liver just makes a bit more of it to make up the difference. The net cholesterol reduction would have been caused by something else. Could it have been more exercise, less stress, weight loss or simply better health?

Make sure that you are getting adequate protein. You need about 1 gram per Kg of body weight every day. If you are only getting it from plant sources, you also need to be sure that you are getting all the essential amino acids.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
(female)

luvmy82 HB User

[QUOTE=Mark1e;3479352]The only thing that is obvious to me is that your cholesterol came down.

Uh..yeah, I think that's what I'm trying to accomplish, isn't it?

Cutting out animal protein would not have had anything to do with it.

Beg to differ, because that is the ONLY thing I radically changed in my lifestyle and/or diet in the past 2 1/2 weeks.

When you reduce the supply of cholesterol from food, your liver just makes a
bit more of it to make up the difference.

Don't agree...see the above response.

The net cholesterol reduction would have been caused by something else. Could it have been more exercise, less stress, weight loss or simply better health?

Exercise has been increased very slightly, whenever I can fit it in. If I can't, I jump rope in my office on my lunch break. I wish I had less stress in my life, but I don't. I have a very high stress job. In all fairness, it isn't off the charts stress every day, but this past week was probably the most stressful week I have had since I started 4 years ago. Weight loss? I wish....holding steady at 143# (5' 6") so, I'm not overweight and I'm not underweight (so don't even go there!). Better health? Yup, due to lower cholesterol levels. One day a week, I eat either tuna, tilapia or salmon. There is no other exlpanation I can think of for the reduction in numbers.

Closed Thread